Metal to metal grinding sound when turning left

Wolfy

I realise this has been covered quite a bit over all the forums, but none fully relate to my issue.

So yesterday, all of a sudden when turning left I started hearing a grinding noise from the back wheel, or possibly the front, I really can't tell. My first thought is the wheel bearing. I'm working till 7 so not able to have a proper look till later, but was just wondering if anybody else had any ideas?

Took it down an A road home and when following the road to the left, it feels super unstable or sorta pulls to the right (My tracking is out by like 1/4 inch to the right though). Even following normal roads round to the left at 30 it struggles. 

So just to be clear, the noise only happens when turning left. I do have a strange sound in cabin when driving straight, above 30, and it does sound like a bearing, but in all years I've been driving, I've never had my bearings make a noise when turning,

Have a look at the dust covers on the back of the discs they can get pushed onto the disc face and can cause a grinding sound, normally a screwdriver underneath and ease it away from the disc normally rectifies the problem, cheaper than chasing possible dead bearings,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Like stants says check the dust covers but it could also break pads getting low, some have a small metal clip as a wear indicator but if it feels unstable I'd advise jacking it up and checking all wheel bearing and ball joints for any play

Thanks guys. The car feels wavy at speed.. that might be better way to put it. I didn't end up getting home till after 8, but have had it jacked up on passenger side n both bearings are fine. 

Are driveshafts meant to have any play back and fourth? 

Took it out after checking what I could with my phone light, I noticed something is rubbing on one of the discs, sometimes I hear a clucking sound when going left though. None of the dust shields appear/feel like they're rubbing. 

I need to take a proper look during the day 

4 hours ago, Thefatmanwrx said:

Hey dude i recently got my front wheel bearing done ended up needing new hubs because the bearings decided to wear the mateing surface on them so check your hub aswell :afro: 

That's all I need! How long were you driving on it with a bad bearing though? I forgot to mention, it's my rear drivers side bearing. I haven't drove it since finding out. Got it booked in for Saturday, fingers crossed it's just the bearing

Ah, hopefully I get lucky. It's bad timing for car to start playing up on me. Thanks for the heads up though, appreciate it! 

I'll give everyone an update once it's sorted, might help someone in the future 

• 1 month later...

Completly forgot to update this! Turned out just to be the bearing that needed to be replaced, took the garage two days and cost £170. 

I'd love to say that's all my problems sorted but once I had that fixed, my CV joint started making a racket :biggrin: