Exhaust advice

I've been looking at getting a straight through centre section for my 2006 hawk sti, to mate to my prodrive backbox. The main reason is so I can delete the big silencer and hopefully have a little bit more noise while keeping the subtle look of the prodrive unit. 

I believe there is a catalytic converter in the down pipe and another between the down pipe and centre section. All the straight through centres ive seen are listed as 2001-2007, so replace the 2nd cat as well as the centre silencer. 

My question is, if I replace this cat and silencer with a straight pipe, will the car need mapping straight away? 

Ive read some conflicting opinions on this, people saying that as long as the up pipe and downpipe still have the cats in then it will be fine; while others say that it will need mapping straight away. 

What's people's thoughts? 

IMG_1433.PNG

@mattiekane I see where your coming from, but; I thought the 2006 sti had a cat in the down pipe, then a small section between the centre and downpipe with another cat, then the resonated centre section then back box. All the centres ive seen are for 2001-2007, so replace the 2nd cat and deresonated centre. On 2001-2005 cars the 2nd cat and centre is one pipe. 

My question is, is it safe to replace the 2nd cat and resonated section with a straight through section without having it mapped, as long as I leave the one in the downpipe?

15 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Prodrive boxes are renound for being 1 of the quietest boxes out there but ive never tried tbh

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@savage bulldogs yeah it's very quiet. It sounds as though the cars cut out when you come to a junction it's that quiet, and it's not a great deal louder once you put the toe down. 

Thing is though, I like the way the prodrive one looks on the car. I thought a straight through centre would wake it up a bit but I don't want any problems. 

I suppose a subtle but louder back box would do the trick. What do people normally go for?

Keeping the cat in the down pipe and keeping the prodrive backbox, but the mid section will be all business, milltek stainless straight through job. Not sure how loud it's going to be, but no doubt a touch louder at least 😎