Mapping out secondary air injection

Fxt55

Help required please. 55 plate 2.5xt with frequent engine light on for secondary air injection system stuck closed. 

I like the idea of just pulling the fuses and mapping the codes out but am struggling to find a place to get it done and a rough cost. 

Suggestions please. Im in romsey, Hampshire. 

Any help appreciated. 

Yeah,  blanking of is definitely the best solution and (eventually) thats what will happen. But for now, bank 1 is failing in the closed position and i assume bank 2 is working correctly so pulling the fuses will disable them in the closed position. Just need a local mapper to permanently wipe the codes till the SAI tear down can begin! 

The flashing cruise light is particularly annoying.... keep thinking my indicator is still blinking! 

either blanking plates and remap or simply replace the valves if prove to be junk (don't use a main dealer) .

editing ecu rom only really worth it if intending gain more than just few code removals .

4 minutes ago, Mr B said:

editing ecu rom only really worth it if intending gain more than just few code removals .

Well, funny you should say that as I thought the same thing...... maybe a mild tune up while in there. No supporting mods, just a remap alone. 

Just need to find somewhere. Im new to subarus so still learning lots! 

• 4 weeks later...

Had the codes removed today by race Dynamix.... and while i was there had a mild map tweak. Happy with the results and would highly recommend. Was all done at Surrey Rolling Road. 

B28EBF36-3279-472C-9694-912C85F205CC.thumb.jpeg.946cee9e61c84ee602fb7810f4f0ebcb.jpeg

This is on a standard 2.5xt. Made 250 bhp before even starting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tidgy said:

did he road test it after it was mapped?

No, but it was fine on my journey home road test. To be fair, im not sure where it could have been taken locally to road test it properly. All the roads are so busy, where do you find a stretch to floor it multiple times?? 

On 11/17/2017 at 8:41 PM, Fxt55 said:

No, but it was fine on my journey home road test. To be fair, im not sure where it could have been taken locally to road test it properly. All the roads are so busy, where do you find a stretch to floor it multiple times?? 

you wont know what its doing as far as det goes. Get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing asap and id advise staying off the loud pedal till you do.

22 hours ago, Tidgy said:

you wont know what its doing as far as det goes. Get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing asap and id advise staying off the loud pedal till you do.

Nothing i saw made me think they didn’t know what they were doing. Car had id say 8 to 10 dyno run ups and all adjusted accordingly. Nothing outrageous. 

I appreciate road tuning is a good way to set up a car, but in my circumstances just not viable. 

Car runs alot smoother than it did pre tweak. My car is a daily driver, not a race car, so for now im happy with what was achieved.

• Like 1

They would be monitoring det on RR, hardly pushed tune enough be over concerned on det .
Road run always nice to double check AFR and det and decide on more or less advance etc but most don't do it unless push limits to edge or have concerns that need further testing, have easy local good usable safe road or just have fixed working practice of always doing road test as it a legal ballache having any police or accident issues on public roads when testing/tuning a vehicle so if not needed they won't do it .
Best way map is rolling road to start with as can create speeds and load points over and over exactly as need until parameters as want in a safe environment, also can see gains as measured figures which far easier than trying feel it in you pants, AFR's are one thing likely differ a little as intake flow and temps alter in real driving .
Every mapper got some skeletons, wouldn't say duncan was the worse and shear volume of mapping he done means he long way from not knowing what he doing ....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr B said:

They would be monitoring det on RR, hardly pushed tune enough be over concerned on det .
Road run always nice to double check AFR and det and decide on more or less advance etc but most don't do it unless push limits to edge or have concerns that need further testing, have easy local good usable safe road or just have fixed working practice of always doing road test as it a legal ballache having any police or accident issues on public roads when testing/tuning a vehicle so if not needed they won't do it .
Best way map is rolling road to start with as can create speeds and load points over and over exactly as need until parameters as want in a safe environment, also can see gains as measured figures which far easier than trying feel it in you pants, AFR's are one thing likely differ a little as intake flow and temps alter in real driving .
Every mapper got some skeletons, wouldn't say duncan was the worse and shear volume of mapping he done means he long way from not knowing what he doing ....

road test is a must after a dyno map, dyno is good but it doesn't 100% simulate road conditions. Det can be present with that change in conditions.

Dung khan as andy forrest named him is one of the worst out there, some are right, but then a worrying number go wrong. Not road testing, mapping 'round' mechanical faults etc etc. 

It not a must and lots of tuners do basic map tweaks without road tests but good practise road test and cold start run it within reason, problem with road testing is can't legally get best results without breaking uk speed limits. Do full tests to redline and easily repeatable needs be on private road or track be legal/safe . 
Most mappers problem is time as most cars in reality take several hours/sessions map to perfection . We've had ones which won't even start well on a cold morning with aftermarket ecu and p1ss poor cold running mapping as don't keep car long enough or was setup in summer temps lol or boost leaks never sorted fully during mapping but found in 10 minutes with smoke machine . Tuner for that boost leak issue (on a Nissan but they popular with subaru) was local and well known and they told customer intercooler flow issue likely cause and needed new cooler and further map, was pretty obvious from fuel numbers and boost plot it likely had a leak :-/ also cooler was good size for application and decent quality.
You here bad things about all tuners, can't see duncan could go wrong on code delete and basic map enhancement . Mapping actually not as hard as people think, what is hard is sorting all the niggles with cars before can map it well and doing it in a time frame that affordable to customer and profitable as a business and it that ratio that leads to all the poor mapping and mapping over faults not fully diagnosed/fixed etc .

5 hours ago, Mr B said:

You here bad things about all tuners, can't see duncan could go wrong on code delete and basic map enhancement . Mapping actually not as hard as people think, what is hard is sorting all the niggles with cars before can map it well and doing it in a time frame that affordable to customer and profitable as a business and it that ratio that leads to all the poor mapping and mapping over faults not fully diagnosed/fixed etc .

i can understand that, but as an example, pat wont let a car go out the door if it isn't right, full stop. He will run over into the next day.

But you cant map round a duff maf sensor. Ask piggy on here, he went to him and ended up claiming his money back via his credit card.

Yeh, trouble is if want everything absolute A1 and time goes over drastically you either eat the time or customer gets crazy bill, either way it ends up not viable business/life practise long term and a main reason so many tuners get issues, go under, get bad customer feedback etc .
Running over a day with work load starts effecting other customers and jobs, throw in RR free time slots and it soon snowballs into a massive mess and reason why so many customers get tired of booking mapping work.
Some tuners are indeed hapless and take path of least resistance get car out the door and some customers are waste of workshop time so not all issues are controllable by the tuner
I waste fair few hours weekly unbilled just getting jobs done right and customers happy and work flow close to on time and with tuning game it gets worse, lot of faults are awkward stuff and likely been bounced from one tuner to another with hard diagnose fault or that many basic assembly faults on engine work and mods that about 8hrs needed just put the thing right so can do a dyno run without issues .

remember piggysniffer, only one side of story on here, I never judge any issue unless spoken to both parties or involved myself as simply worthless information, pigysniffer sold up recently :-/

All tuners have unhappy customers, many come and go "tuners and customers"  ... ...

When you've seen as many people as i have with cars that have left in a state by him as i have you'd understand. But there is a difference between things going wrong just because they do and going wrong because your not following basic accepted practices.

• 2 weeks later...

TBH when I went to Martyn he said before they have two prices for just a map tweek , one was £190 +v and one more expensive , dependant and what needs to be done , I think if you tell people that they would be more than happy to pay a lil extra to get the job done right

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk