Turbo... help!

Crispy

On my way back from a track day today (!) my SG 2.5xt lost boost almost completely and developed a light ‘metallic fluttering’ noise on acceleration. I haven’t taken intercooler off to check yet... but I’m convinced that my turbo has given up. 

I gather it’s a TD04... though  not too clued up on what would be best/bolts straight on.

Does anyone know where’s best to find a decent used one? How much it’s going to cost me? And what the best (economic) option is?

Cheers (gutted!)

Banjo mesh filter blocked/restricted what normally kill the turbo .

physically check turbo and if need replacement easy enough find one used for under £100 .

Do check oil lines as failure to do so could result in killing the replacement .

turbo cars need frequent oil/filter changes and decent quality too ...

Thanks Mr B,

I took the turbo off this morning, loads of lateral play on shaft and compressor wheel has scored housing walls. I’ll check the oil mesh. P1ssed off as have changed oil every 4K with good stuff... maybe a result of a less well maintained past.

Do you know any Subaru breakers that may be able to help? I could cope with £100. Price of new units put me in shock earlier! 

One other thing... does anyone sell a turbo install gasket kit?

Thank you. Much appreciated.