WRX STI DISCONTINUED!

Hey all. Thoughts on the news that the WRX is no more in the U.K. as Subaru have discontinued the model as of 2 days ago?

ive had my WRX STI for 4 weeks and now I’m wondering what the knock on effect will be on parts and future value..

:laugh:

Right, better just nip down the Rover dealer then for my Rover 25 City. Their 10 years is about up. If they don't cough up any parts, there will be some legal ramifications.

In seriousness, there is no law on this. It's a business case, not a legal aspect, as parts & service are after-sales and these provide good profit centres for dealers. With manufacturers changing their models, with different versions (SUVs / MPVs) all diluting the market even further, to hoard parts for any more than 7 years for the 15 different models they produce would be a mean feat.

1 hour ago, AJ 8186 said:

I wonder what dealer attitudes will be towards JDM imports after the final UK editions have long left the forecourts.

pretty irrelevant, subaru isn;t going for the performance car market any more. family saloons and suv's is where they are going.

Yea agreed. With the Evo no more Subaru don’t have the reason to keep pushing performance cars here. Keeping it going in the USA though so just us losing out. Still il get a few good years out of the WRX before there’s a knock on effect.

It’s the fact subaru don’t do the Hyatt anymore which means they don’t meet the carbon allowance of an average 120kg/km over the whole range
So they could sell uk models if they wanted to with having an sti on the uk list

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

There are a number of things that have forced Subaru here. The emissions bit is true and I don't deny it. But it is mere smoke (sorry, a pun there) and also their fear.

You read in the press that the death (or dying) of diesel is going to create major issues for the European target of 95g/km across each brand's stable and then no one factors in that hybrids and electric cars are close to zero g/km which lowers the average anyway. So a stock of these sold from the stable would keep the average down. But you don't hear this in the press/ media - it's all doom once diesel has gone or been lowered in volume and how do we meet the target.

The thing you don't read is that it is actual sales, not what the units the manufacturer makes to sell. Sounds the same ? But there are some subtle differences. I might build a stupid high emission motor of 600g/km. How it would pass any regulation, I don't know, but stay with me. I might sell one of these per year because these are ridiculously thirsty.

To keep things simple for the maths, I sell 15 hybrids that pump 50g/km for the year. So totting up, my total emissions that I have sold is 1350g/km spread across 16 motors sold in the year. So my average is 84g/km and I come in under the 2021 Euro limit.

Now the smoke is that you have probably never read that anywhere before (certainly not in the press). It's a bit like their banning of petrol and diesel in 2040. There isn't going to be a ban. It is only new sales that are banned. Unless anyone has seen anything different, if you are running a petrol Scooby of a few years old in 2040, keep running it. Also, plug in hybrids are still permissible and they would still have an engine. See how bits of info get out of control once the media and other forms get hold of it.

I mention the fear factor above. Yes, because if people start demanding WRX's in 2021 and Subaru don't sell enough of the vehicles that offset the high g/km of the WRX, then there could be issues. So I recognise the fear factor but I think they have over-reacted. They could limit the sales to this country and then we at least have a fast product here but the average still comes in under the threshold. Maybe they believe they won't have enough vehicles under the 95g/km to offset. Or maybe they have tested  enough to see that they can only get just under with the hybrid stuff. I don't know. But I sense there has been a panic, along with the bean counters working out how few units could be sold in the UK / Europe to throw in the towel.

£32,000 is quite a bargain price for what you get from the WRX up until September and the weak GBP has not helped. Therefore, there would be a lot of bean counting I am sure. But this does sound a bit too knee-jerk to me.

Never mind. We will never know.

That's one of the reasons that Aston Martin produced the ridiculous Cygnet based on a laughable platform and at a huge purchase price. One resides by me an all i can say is Why TF would you spend 30k on an Aston Badge ?