Forester high fuel consumption HELP NEEDED

Terry Harper

Hi I have a 2008 Foreste with a 2l petrol engine. The average MPG has just dropped significantly. I was getting around 28 around town, but over the past week it has been dropping and yesterday it dropped a lot. Showing 11-13 mpg this morning. I have been to a garage and (despite there being no engine management light on)  they have hooked it up to the computer and found no fault codes.? Can anyone offer serious advice on what to try? I have no external leak of fuel or air.

What the fuel trims showing on O2 sensors ?

Get it into a garage who can look at bit more than just hoping find fault code numbers. Other thing check is it physically using more fuel, with mpg difference you stating you should notice actual fuel consumption difference on tank gauge or refill needs. Needs looking into asap ...

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with a legacy 2.0r 2007.  I reset the ecu doing the 40 mins of turning on and off the engine in certain sequence definitely helped.  For the sake of 40 mins and no cost it's worth a shot.  How to is on you tube.