Ignition won't fire if doors have been unlocked for more than ~a minute?

highrouleur

Obligatory new here so apologies if this is in wrong area, had a look and couldn't see a specific technical help section?

Car is a 2006 Legacy 3.0 spec B, I've had it a few months but didn't come with a manual so had to figure things out for myself.  One of it's quirks is that if the doors have been unlocked for more than about a minute, the car won't start, so I have to use the keyfob to lock then unlock before the engine will fire up.  Not sure if it's supposed to be a security feature, and it's not a huge issue but is mildly annoying so I was wondering if it's a setting that can be altered?  Have tried googling without much luck, so wondered if it anyone might be able to help please?

My 05 forester does this. Did my head in at first, then i Discovered that when you turn the key in the ignition, stop when the dash lights come on, then press the unlock button on the key. A click can be heard then crank it over.

no need to lock/unlock and is second nature now.  

Does that make sense?! 

• Like 1