Manually Reading ECU Codes

Gambit

Let them know you're a member here or that we even sent you I'm interested to see if you get any discount.

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/5513-m-d-performance-in-gloucester/

And yeah they use to come on here a bit was meant to be doing local meets at the garage but not seen anything from them for awhile :( 

• 3 weeks later...

My engine light is always on. Garage said its the lambda, oxygen sensor issue and replaced them. Didn't solve the problem and they didn't charge me to be fair to them. They said they wouldn't do any more as they didn't understand what the problem could be and I'd have to go to Subaru! Sod that.

I've done as instructed on here and I get the constant flashing of the light and can hear the car doing all the clicking and whirring as it tests bits. BUT when I disconnect the black and green connections my light is on permanently.

I connected the blacks to get an error code but just get a permanently on light. What could this be?

ps my car is a standard 2002 (51) Forester Sport, the one with the different grill.

The car runs fine, no probs at all but that garage refused to do my MOT with that light on. A different garage got the same fault but being mad Welsh hillbillies I couldn't make head nor tail of their broken English explanations, they basically didn't have a clue but didn't charge me. There aren't many garages up here that like to touch electrics or Subaru.

If it's a 51 plate you should be able to read the code with an odd scanner and an app for your phone.

Have you tried disconnecting the Battery putting your foot on the brake pedal till the lights go out and leaving it for 20 mins ? This should clear all codes, Re connect and drive then re check the codes see if it gives anything that can be diagnosed

Removing Battery for a day did nowt and no the car doesn't shake or rattle when idling.

There is nowt, other than the !Removed! engine management light, wrong with the car and my hillbilly garage just ignore it, for better or worse. The car always passes the emission tests and never misses a beat. Only missed a tiny bit a year ago but I changed the spark plugs and it sorted that. The plugs were just a bit worn down, no soot or crust or cracks. Doesn't use oil or water.

I've just ordered a ODBII Bluetooth dongle from Amazon for my phone and gonna try out Torque and Carista. Amazon claim it will arrive tomorrow but the world has just gone white out there so may have to wait. Not a problem as the car runs okay.

Cheers for the super quick replies guys.

If the car runs ok it can't be much.

If you don't get much conclusion from codes you need use OBD iso9141 cable (less than £4 on eBay) & freeSubaruSelectMonitor sofware to see alll the sensor values & look at Lambda sensors more closely.

OBD cable (bought & tested one of these at beginning of new year) >

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-USB-Cable-car-Scanner-Diagnostic-Tool-for-OBD2-Audi-VW-SEAT-/400786919123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d50c30ed3

Thread with sofware links >

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/10869-help-forester-diagnostics/#entry63645

Using Torque and Carista apps I get same code as the garages got:

P0031 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1.

It is listed as a different fault in that list earlier from Miggs:

31 Throttle Position Sensor Circuit.

Clear it and it comes back on after a few seconds so is a genuine fault. Just now wonder which one.

As above, wires to sensor need checking including tracing them back into the car under dash as have come across a loose connector issue here at least twice before on imrezas of same year range ... also don't assume new sensor not faulty as some can be so needs testing .

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I replaced the cat in the end and got 2 new sensors. BUT the back sensor they sent me wasn't the same connector as mine. Mine and new one a 4 wire but the new one much smaller than mine. I swapped the leads over and hey presto the fault went away.....

BUT

A new ofault has landed and it is gonna be right as it says there's a possible circuit fault so I need to re arrange the wires to get the right positions. I know Subaru do some odd things but to have 2 different conectors for the back cat sensor is bonkers. Even the bulbs for my car aren't the same as other MK1s.

It is the Sport and clearly it's half MK1 and half MK2. Had the same problem ordering front brake pads online when first changed pads n discs.

Still a cracking car, rotting away though. Had to line a front wheel arch in fibreglass as both rotted away, no time yet for other one. Went to jack it up with the scissor jack at the jack point and the sill/chasis now has a jack head shaped hole in it. :(

Think its days are numbered, and just spent £330 getting 4 new tyres put on it too. I will do other wheel arch but hopefully my hillbilly garage will patch up the metal and send it back to me with an MOT in January ... hopefully, pity I can't weld.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've a subaru justy 2008 1.0ltr steering has just gone down. No power steering. Subaru have said it's the steering ecu it's been sent to subaru. They said they can't repair they have not got any software to repair it. Any one got any ideas I'm stuck thanks. 

7 hours ago, Michael 1952 said:

I've a subaru justy 2008 1.0ltr steering has just gone down. No power steering. Subaru have said it's the steering ecu it's been sent to subaru. They said they can't repair they have not got any software to repair it. Any one got any ideas I'm stuck thanks. 

Would this work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Justy-G3x-Control-Module-Electric-Power-Steering/113771492825?epid=21030479052&hash=item1a7d4f35d9:g:qdIAAOSw3g5ch-T4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone, I've tried this and it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I'm getting a 19 and a 123. I'm driving a 2003 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK. I can't get into the ecu so I tired the diagnostic mode. I will try to post a video for you to see what I'm getting. Can someone help me read these?  My problem is I'm getting a code 19 and its saying #6 injector... which I don't have and code 123 which I can't find.  Can someone help me please! 

Here is the video:

ECU Codes