Oil advice & recommendations from oilman @ Opie Oils

5w-40 is ideal, it is just a bit thicker at operating temp then a 5w-30. The Shell is very good but you will be paying for specs you dont need.

Plenty of good 5w-40 synthetics here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the help,.

What do you mean by "paying for specs you dont need?" I don't really mind paying a few extra quid if it's beneficial for my engine.

Would this Shell oil be a better alternative? http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68976-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-recommended-by-ferrari.aspx

Thanks.

Hi 

The Shell ECT is aimed at meeting the requirements of modern low emissions engines and long life servicing, not what is required for your engine, so while it's a good oil, you'd be paying for things that you don't need. I'd probably go for the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40.

Cheers

Tim

Hi. I'm looking to service my impreza turbo 2000. The engine has 158k miles and only has a aftermarket back box. I intend to add a cat back and upgraded panel filter plus remap. Which oil do you recommend.

Hi

A 10w-40 is ideal for your car.

The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Red Line and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers EE/Trident are good choices.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

A 10w-40 is ideal for your car.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Red Line and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers EE/Trident are good choices.

Cheers

Tim

Thank you for that reply Tim. What type of oil should I use part synthetic or fully?

• 2 months later...

Hi mate got a few mates on my local forum that are interested in some oil and advice any chance you could just post a link on the page please :-) it's. On facebook and it's subaru owners of northamptonshire. Soon , cheers

whats best engine oil for my:

2006 Subaru Impreza R Sport, 1994CC Petrol, 4DR, Manual

used to just put halfords stuff in my renault but wont be in this

Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G/ULE, Shell Helix and mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Joe

I would use a 5w-40 in that as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

On 27/06/2016 at 9:00 AM, oilman said:

Hi Joe

I would use a 5w-40 in that as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mr Oilman. I have a 2012 Subaru Wrx Sti type UK saloon. The car is unmolested no modifications. I just had a full service done last December and have only clocked 500 miles. I don't drive the car hard at all . The has 58000 on the clock. I wanted advice on the very best oil for my car top of the range stuff. Puts my mind at ease if I know I'm keeping my end of the maintenance by using the best oil I can get. 

I'll have a look on your website Tim. Which oil do Subaru dealers use out of curiosity Tim. And I take it your suggestionsearch are a upgrade on Subarusubaru own oil. Thank you for your help Tim

Hi

I'm not sure what they use now. At one point it was the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40, but I don't know if that was all Subaru dealerships or just some of them. As far as I am aware, they don't have strict tie ups like a lot of other manufacturers. Yes, those oils are upgrades over standard oils.

Cheers

Tim

One dealer said Shell the other said Petronas. But I'll take your advice, is it ok to top up with one of your suggestions until the next oil change when I'll use one of your suggestionsite on the full oil change. Thank again Tim