Oil advice & recommendations from oilman @ Opie Oils

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm hoping to change my front gearbox oil, and my rear differential oil for my car, which is... :

Subaru Legacy 2.0 RE 2006.

The only mod the car has is it's been converted to LPG, and driving style-wise I drive it on the road only.

I have been told I should buy this oil for both the LSD and the gearbox - is that right? 

Also, I have heard that getting the oil into the rear diff can be difficult, so I'm thinking of buying this - would I need anything similar for the front?

Thanks for the help and reading this :)

Hi

The Millers TRX is a good option for the gearbox and diff. There are other options that will do both, but the TRX is a good one for the money. 

I don't have a Legacy, so don't know how easy it is to access the diff and gearbox, but that pump should do the gearbox and diff.

Cheers

Tim

Hi 

5L will do both the diff and gearbox.

You need a 75w-90 GL5 oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-gear-oil.aspx

The Millers CRX NT, Motul Gear 300, Red Line 75w-90NS and Gulf Competition are ideal as top end options. The Millers TRX Synthetic/EE Nanodrive, mobil SHC, castrol Syntrax Universal Plus and Valvoline Synpower TDL are good, but a step down from the top oils. Fuchs Gear Syn, Motul Motylgear, Millers TRX Semi and castrol Universal are good, cheaper options.

The code SUBOC will give you 10% off.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, looking to change engine oil soon and looking for recommends without breaking the bank. Believe it was Millers CTS 5-30 (without looking) last used by company I purchased the car from. Only done 2434 miles since I've bought it. Recommendations please? 😊

Car: Subaru Impreza STi

Year: 2006

Engine Type: EJ25, 2.5L turbocharged

Mods: Currently just light mods, cat back exhaust etc. Current BHP 300? Possibly looking to go up to 350ish with a tune soon.

Driving Style: Daily Driver/Road

Other Info: Hottest I've seen Oil Temp hit on a gauge was today at around 95*C, bearing in mind it was 24*C outside when I saw that reading. 

18 hours ago, oilman said:

Hi

I would use a good 5w-30 oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

Fuchs Pro S, Motul 300V and Red Line are the best options, followed by the Castrol Edge, Mobil ESP, Millers EE and XF, Fuchs GT1 and Shell Helix Ultra ECT.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for the tip. What's the difference between the Millers XF High Performance and Millers XF Low SAPS just to name a few? I'd probably stick with Millers as that seems to be alright in the car just curious as to the differences in the ranges. Mind I used Motul in my old motorbike and loved it! Need to keep it some what cheap though otherwise my wife would kill me haha

Just realised I didn't say actual mileage which is about 84k on the clock. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, new here... just looking for my subi which oil put .... i was wondering what is the difference between

- FUCHS Titan Race Pro C3

- FUCHS Titan Race Pro S

Thank you very much

Hi

The Pro C3 is a performance oil, but with a different additive package that makes it suitable for use in lower emissions engines, like performance diesels. It is fine for other engines as well though. The Pro S is aimed at the best protection, but is not suitable for the lower emissions engines.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

aha ... thank you very much .... well I have to say I am spanish, and I can speak english very good,, but some technical words, dont understand well ... what its exactly lower emissions engines? ... are them engines who need to have low emissions ?

thnik we finish early with this question: I have a Impreza WRX 2.5 from 2006, stock, 230hp, not track, but hard use, long highway trips with tow, fast mountain road use, etc

which one from those two will be better?
- Race Pro C3
- Race Pro S

I notice the Pro S its no longer avaible... ?¿

thank you very much

Hi

Low emissions engines would be something like a 2010 BMW 320D or in Subaru terms, one of the Legacy or Imprezas with a diesel engine. Your car doesn't need the C3 version and the Pro S 5w-40 would be ideal for it with that kind of use.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-5w-40-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

On 28/7/2017 at 2:29 PM, oilman said:

Hi

Low emissions engines would be something like a 2010 BMW 320D or in Subaru terms, one of the Legacy or Imprezas with a diesel engine. Your car doesn't need the C3 version and the Pro S 5w-40 would be ideal for it with that kind of use.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-5w-40-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Thankyou very much Tim

just to end with this topic.... what about the Titan GT1 Pro Flex? ... what you think about it? is it fully syntethic?

Also, do you know where can i find the technical specs of both Fuchs oils (Race Pro S and the GT1 Pro flex)

regards

Hi

Pro Flex is a really good oil for the money, but it's not a proper performance oil, it's aimed at standard road cars.

If you email sales@opieoils.co.uk, I can reply with the datasheets.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Tim,

I've got this in the cart now, just debating on pushing the buy button now haha.

Millers Oils CFS 5W-40 Competition Full Synthetic Engine Oil - Service Pack: 5 Litres

Subaru Oil Filter - Genuine Subaru OE Oil Filter - 15208AA12A

Is this the best option for the price at £53.95 with the SUBOC discount? Or are thre any other specials coming on soon that may interest?

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, at the moment, that will be the best I think. You can use the code CFS for 15% off the Millers CFS, but that won't take any discount off the filter, so I guess it will work out about the same in total.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1