folding mirror problems

Celia

Hi

my 2009 2.0REN Outback has folding mirrors which have worked fine up until now. Now the passenger side one won't fold & buzzes. When I've pushed it it folds but then it won't open again. Even when I haven't tried to shut them the passenger side mirror still buzzes when I start the car. No amount of pushing, tapping & jiggling will stop the noise.

help!!!

Celia

sounds like a cog has dislodged or broken a tooth or two internally - the buzzing is either the motor trying to move and cannot because stuck or the motor moving and rattling against the broken cog

I agree it's the motor trying to move I'd maybe say might need a new motor if it's and internal part thats failed. And without looking I don't know if I could advise how to remove it 2009 is to new for me :)

Might give you an idea of what you will have to do in removing it. 

• 3 years later...
On 1/9/2014 at 6:22 PM, Celia said:

Hi

my 2009 2.0REN Outback has folding mirrors which have worked fine up until now. Now the passenger side one won't fold & buzzes. When I've pushed it it folds but then it won't open again. Even when I haven't tried to shut them the passenger side mirror still buzzes when I start the car. No amount of pushing, tapping & jiggling will stop the noise.

help!!!

Celia

Hi Celia

I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback and I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to sort out yours?

Thanks

Manu

Thanks Sirpidey. I thought to do that but when I took the car to  a garage (not dealership) I was told that the mirror is fine and the problem is with the mirror adjusting switch???

That confused me a bit...

• 1 month later...

Had this issue few months back pop the back of the mirror off so you can see the motor. In my case a little clip that holds the motor inplace had snapped. Causing the motor to rise itself in the mirror instead of folding the mirror. Didnt want to payout for new one so simply super glued the motor in place. 

• Like 1