What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

Right out new Walbro fuel pump in today. Used the OLD connection that was already on the car as it fit fine and the new connection didn't have the opposite end on it (2 cables not connected to anything) and I didn't really want to mess too much with that. Everything went smoothly, until the test drive. Warmed the car up, fine, normal driving, fine. However, I started hitting boost and pulling through the revs, fuel pressure was fine and so was boost by all accounts, and in the upper revs it starts to jutter and it makes a fast intermittent sound coming out of the exhaust, almost like its being struggling...anyone got any ideas? I have a video (hard to tell with it but might help)...maybe the connection? 😕 Just don't see what difference that makes?

EDIT: just took it out again quickly, wonder if it was just some air passing through with having it out? Seemed to be alright that time...

1 hour ago, Sirspidey said:

That would have been my guess, air in the line. How quiet is the pump? I've heard they can be quite loud?

Whole thing is loud as owt at the moment because I had the back seats ripped out haha. Just changed to the silver alloys as well.

• Like 1

Few photos of the new pump on. Forgot to take a load whilst doing, but the one with the huge filter is the stock one. Note to anyone doing this, make sure you don't forget to put the pressurised line all the way back on like I did! 😂 Heard a little pop and then spraying as soon as I switched the car back on! Fuel everywhere! Luckily I hand tightened the cover back over it haha

51713586440__7842A55F-997D-4A17-AA04-49F988EAB454.thumb.JPG.47dc2aef6eab2dfe8d8eacf0ba97935b.JPGIMG_5072.thumb.JPG.f0b6ea2fffcf0c844176fad78f7ee8c2.JPGIMG_5073.thumb.JPG.39cad2a70495de5a281ca72552693f59.JPG

Paid my annual dues to the thieving government [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tax? I pay mine monthly [emoji53]

Costs even more that way [emoji54]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

On 2017-5-19 at 5:46 PM, kershaw-330s said:

Finally got round to booking my car if for a new map , on 2nd June with Martyn Jeffries at engine tuner emoji16.png , will probably be the hottest day of the year knowing my luck lol , got 4 new tires today too , went for Uniroyal rain sports they get awesome reviews and have are great value , getting them fitted tomorrow will put some pics up tomorrow in my build thread they have a sexy tread pattern on them.

I can't rate them enough, will always use them :thumbup:

Picked up my new black diamond front discs I can see why people pay at lot more for 2 piece ones as they are heavy so there must be a good weight saving with ally bells. Just can't justify that expense just yet to save weight. Fingers crossed I get them fitted over the weekend. 

On 22/05/2017 at 3:44 PM, Seminole81 said:

Few photos of the new pump on. Forgot to take a load whilst doing, but the one with the huge filter is the stock one. Note to anyone doing this, make sure you don't forget to put the pressurised line all the way back on like I did! 😂 Heard a little pop and then spraying as soon as I switched the car back on! Fuel everywhere! Luckily I hand tightened the cover back over it haha

51713586440__7842A55F-997D-4A17-AA04-49F988EAB454.thumb.JPG.47dc2aef6eab2dfe8d8eacf0ba97935b.JPGIMG_5072.thumb.JPG.f0b6ea2fffcf0c844176fad78f7ee8c2.JPGIMG_5073.thumb.JPG.39cad2a70495de5a281ca72552693f59.JPG

Your gonna have trouble with that new smaller filter mate, I put one on my car, the filter sits a lot higher in the tank and I was getting fuel starvation issues at about a quarter of a tank if I booted it, if you don't run your car down that far you'll be ok

• Like 1

What pump is that ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Phillip1993 said:

What pump is that ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Walbro GSS342 290lph "Colossus" if memory serves. I'm at work.

1 hour ago, Piggysniffer said:

Your gonna have trouble with that new smaller filter mate, I put one on my car, the filter sits a lot higher in the tank and I was getting fuel starvation issues at about a quarter of a tank if I booted it, if you don't run your car down that far you'll be ok

For real? I did wonder what the hell was going on. Fit it on an empty tank, put £20 in to give it a test, so literally about a 1/4 tank. I've been trying to boot it about and in the upper revs around 5.5k I'm getting some cuts. Spoke with a few people and no one knows what's happening, and I've been quoted £60 to have it liked at and tested! May as well buy a new pump for that price! Can you put the old filter back on to stop starvation? I tend to fill up completely once a fortnight...

Taken a day off work, so going to wash and wax her this morning before going on a brake drying run to look for photo opportunities [emoji6]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Right, so switching the sock today and check the connections. Just wonder if it might be the sock. In saying that, you'd think it would happen more than just the upper revs if that were the problem.

Switched the sock. When I pulled it, it did look like it was leaking a bit, so I tightened up the pipe even more. Sock was covered with fuel so I don't think it wasn't starving, but like I said, changed it anyways back to stock. Got it back in l, started up, could hear it whine a bit more, so thought it might of been fixed, pressure was a nice 2.9 bar on the cold start up and steady. Went out and did about 7-8 pulls and the same thing keeps happening. No changes, it has to be the pump. 2nd and 3rd gear still noticeable in the upper revs, mostly prominate in 3rd gear. I did get some video, but it's really hard to see/hear it on it, but it's really noticeable when you're in the car. I set the DEFI's to record as well to get a picture of the peaks...now this is where it gets fun. I was told it was running a stock map, which I believe was at the time. Check out the peak boost now though...1.2 bar nearly (17.4psi). Fuel pressure peaks at 4.8 bar. Is there any way to check if it's got a ECUTek license or OpenSource installed? If it has been mapped, could this be the problem?

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5094.JPG

• Like 1

Christ, so I'm officially a fuel pump install expert if anyone needs help haha. Pulled it back out again, changed everything back to stock and back in (in 30mins this time!) took it for a whirl, pulls fine through the gears...at 1.2bar boost 😂 

• Like 1