Prodrive kit on a 2.5XT Forester.

Been thinking about getting a Forester 2.5 XT with Prodrive kit fitted but would like some advice please.

Would I notice a big difference between driving a Prodrive 2.5 XT Forester and a standard Forester 2.0 X please?.

I know that the insurance would be a little more expensive and it would use more fuel but would the driving experience be worth the extra expense.?

Have seen a nice looking 2005 Forester with Prodrive Kit with @ 150,000 miles on the clock,, would that mileage put people off buying it?.

Anything extra to look out for on a   Forester Prodrive  before buying?.

Thank You

Not sure about the prodrive pack or different engines on a Forester but I wouldn't be put off by the mileage assuming that it has a good history with regular oil changes. Many members have cars with higher mileage and no problems. Someone with experience in Foresters will be around soon

You'll notice a big difference more smiles and an engaging drive. :-)

Standard forester x 160bhp

Xt 225bhp

Prodrive kit claims up to 250bhp and more torque, with remapped ecu ss exhaust and some other goodies.

My first gen jdm foz was supposed to have around 240bhp when it came out of the factory. 17 years later it still feels fast enough. And pulls like a train. Obviously with the xt you'll have all the fun of a turbocharged all weather car. And the ability to stun people when they see how rapid the normal looking car is.

The ride is comfy and you can push on to a degree, juat got to remember that it sits quite high off the floor so the centre of gravity is higher. An impreza it's not, wben it comes to the corners,

I'm sure the standard x is a great car too and there are member on here who love them. But speak to anyone with a turbo'd car and they'll tell you the boost is addictive :-)

I'd check service scheduals have stuck to and they have treated he car to reguar oil and filters,

As for what to look for i'd take a look in the buying guide as it covers all subarus.

Thanks for the replies.

I have done a HPI check and that came back as clear with the correct VIN Number and Engine Number.

It will have 12 months MOT but I will need to have a good look at the service history which is not a complete service history but will ask about Cam Belt changes etc....

Are you buying private or trade ? If the belts are due try get the garage to do them or if private i'd haggle down the price a bit.

Another good thing is that 90% of the parts are interchangeable with the same year impreza.

Chances are that whoever upgaded to the ppp was obviously a car person, its an expensive bit of kit so i'm sure they looked after it

I would be buying from a private seller so will check what has been done regarding servicing and especially regarding the belts, water pump etc.

If the belts etc haven't been changed recently how much would it be likely to cost to get them done?.  

Are we looking at a couple of hundred pounds or even more?.

The price of this Forester doesn't seem too expensive compared with some 2004 / 2005  Foresters that I have seen plus it is fairly local. Many of the decent looking ones always seem to be hundreds of miles away either Up North in Scotland or Down South.

No harm in going to have a good look and ask a good few questions.

Thanks

I bought my 2.5 XT already with the PPP so I can't compare the two but I love it.i got home with it and my 15 year old daughter said "huhh looks like a grandad car" to wich I replied let's go for a test drive.there were a few screams and she got out shaking so I think she has a little more respect for it now lol.also as stanton500 says the boost is highly addictive but that will result in a lot more frequent visits to the pumps.

Spuds.

Looks like a " Grandad Car "

Now that has got me thinking, no more " run me here, run me there " I will save a fortune in fuel.   :)

Hopefully going to have a good look and a quick drive later this morning.

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

Mine came with a certificate from prodrive with the reg number on it and an invoice for parts fitted and mapping so while probably not essential worth looking out for when going through the paperwork.

Spuds.

Looks like a " Grandad Car "

Now that has got me thinking, no more " run me here, run me there " I will save a fortune in fuel. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Just wait untill you've driven it you'll be taking the long route to the shops trying to drive across feilds 'just to see how is copes'

I'm looking forward to some snow :-)

They run better on vpower too

Quick update.

I'm so sorry but after viewing and driving her , I just couldn't resist so I am now a little poorer but the owner of a Silver  2005  Forester  2.5XT with Prodrive Kit.

She doesn't quite have a full service history but plenty of stamps in the book..

Will try to get some photos up later.

It is always risky when buying a car but let's hope she turns out to be a good one.

Thanks

Looks nice mate, always been a fan of Foresters. Enjoy and welcome. And as for embedding photo's use photobucket or another hosting site and then find the appropriate link

• 3 years later...

Hello to all,

I Have just become a new member and this shall be my first Subaru, hopefully, I've gone with a blinder!

I've just paid for and am waiting for delievery of a 2005 2.5 XTE with PPP @ 65000miles to arrive, and I can wait.

Its been three years since I've had any sort of power, First, a Japanese car fan, having had a 16.vti civic and then the notorious 1.0 12v twin cam Dai charade GTti.

A few years later I moved onto straight 6s, having an E30 325i and then an E36 323i, until the unexpected, now wife came along. Sold up everything, including the workshop and made do with a Skoda Fabia for 3 years!!!!!!  Until now.

The Fabia got T-boned by and off duty copper,,,,, ioh the irony! and now since she wants a little one, my excuse was a fast family wagon,,,,,I now am fast again!!!!

It'll be nice to get to know a few of you and hopefully grab some tips on the way through, besides the extent of research I have done, purely through excitement.

In the words of Slough from Goonies!!!! eh, you Guys!!!!

P.S will post pics, as soon as she arrives!

Edited by Arbormonkey
Done twice in the wrong forum