Steering Wheel Shake

Bantams Outback

Evening chaps,

New member here. In the next few months I will be looking to source a second hand Outback.

Not made my mind up whether to go for the 2.5, or kill myself & get the 3.6R.

A quick browse on the trader web-site shows a number of quality 09, 10, & 11 plate models with great specs & low mileages.

I wont be doing a lot of miles just up & down the M1 North from Ripponden to do some carp fishing.

That's one of the reasons for not getting a diesel, plus I want an auto, & the petrols seem to pose fewer problems as they age.

One concern I do have is the 'Steering Wheel Shake' alluded to  on American forums.

I can't seem to find any reference to this fault on our forums, possibly because I am old & incompetent.

Can I  ask if there have been any such problems with UK spec vehicles, or is the problem unique to the American vehicles.

As an aside any helpful comments on buying the 2.5 or 3.6R will be much appreciated. 

Fanx  :D

Wheel wobble is normally one of three things... Wheels not correctly balanced, a sticky brake caliper, or a damaged tyre.

None of these are unique to the Legacy as they can happen on any car. Maybe they have cheap rubbish tyres in the US!?

Welcome to the ranks!

I can defo recommend the petrol autos....silky smooth. The 3.6 would be my choice, but road tax @ £485 would be painful. If your not too fussed about a slightly older car, why not go for a late 55 or pre 23 march 2006 registered 06 plate 3.0 auto. A low mileage one can be had for under £6k if you look around and are prepared to travel. The 3 litre is also chain driven, so no cam belt change to worry about. Tax for pre 23 march 06 cars is £285.

As with all scoobs, a full history is worth it's weight in gold. Most outbacks have this, so that shouldn't limit your choice much.

Hope that helps to start you off mate [emoji106]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Cheers Adam,

Does seem to have been a major problem over the pond, lots of posts on it.

Can't wait to sort out an Outback. Best kept secret out there.

Running a 10 year old petrol Rav4 at the minute. Ridiculously reliable, but just too small for my carp gear.

Got to say the more I read on the forum from the lads about the previous model, the more I'm tempted to keep my money in my pocket and get an 05 or 55 plater.

Subaru clearly have confidence in the older models as they still retail them regularly.

Good stuff mate, you won't be disappointed. Majik should be along at some point too and he'll be only to happy to advise and sing it's praises too.

I've seen a few late 55s since I bought mine last month with circa 60k on the clock for under 6 grand. I do love my blue with cream leather combo too, but colour is always a personal thing [emoji106]

Been following the post intently.... loved the story,

What I would love to do is get one like yours and do the same thing, tastefully mod it.

I did a similar thing a few years back with with an E46 BMW 325.

Bought a one owner full main dealer historied car and really sorted it.

Even re-dyed the leather myself  :o

The Subaru's are in a different league for build quality& reliabilty these dates.

Brave move with the leather [emoji33]

I'm still in the process of adding little enhancements to mine. So far I've added a boot tray, dog guard and last weekend some mudflaps I sourced from USA. Got upgraded headlight bulbs to fit yet and leather cleaner to use, as well as touch up paint for the 2 or 3 stone chips. I've already had a marathon session of claying, polishing and waxing and she looks so good for it....you could have struck a match on the paint before that [emoji33]

Think my first real goodie will be a stainless steel exhaust system....next year sometime hopefully [emoji41]

Think it will look great David.

I think Subaru missed a trick with the exhaust system on the later model 3.6R.

They split nicely at the back but are then swept down to face the tarmac.

I'm not aware of anything that could make them look any sportier!!

It's not been mentioned but another cause of wheel wobble is warped discs. I scuppered a brand new set of traox discs after a track day. They were very slightly wrapped and induced steering wheel shake.

Good luck with the search for a leggy :)

Oh yes....also want a rear bumper protector and have seen a mesh grille that I'd love one day [emoji41] when I'm feeling rich haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point me in the direction of said item please Dave. :D Not that I want one but i`d like to see what it looks like.

And a parrott Bluetooth system.....it's an addiction, I swear [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should be standard fit to all new vehicles, the mobile phone hoo-ha would cease!

Welcome to the forum Bantams :) 

You`ll be surprised at what you can get Outback-wise for your money. 99% come with FSH, if they don`t have it, walk away.

All but 1 of mine ive got from eBay, there are some very reputable dealers on there.

Stearing shake..... all reasons pointed out above, it happens with any car......never heard or  experienced it for no  other reason....probably an American thing like gun-control.........and incest.

Not difficult to find a belter for embarrassingly little money. insurance on either the 2.5 or 3litre should be the same.

The 2.5`s are excellent but the 3.0 are blisteringly awesome!

My last one before I traded it in had done 183`000 miles and was as tight as the day it was born!

Have a float round eBay and see what you can find......i`ll start you off :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-SUBARU-OUTBACK-SE-AUTO-GREY-/121412296382?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c44bc9ebe

This is the exact same model as mine, looks fantastic and its just up the road from you.....almost :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Outback-3-0-auto-Rn-2006-Black-Estate-4WD-AWD-/121414934173?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c44e4de9d

I`m around the forum most days if you want any help.

;)

Point me in the direction of said item please Dave. :D Not that I want one but i`d like to see what it looks like.

This should be standard fit to all new vehicles, the mobile phone hoo-ha would cease!

Welcome to the forum Bantams :)

You`ll be surprised at what you can get Outback-wise for your money. 99% come with FSH, if they don`t have it, walk away.

All but 1 of mine ive got from Ebay, there are some very reputable dealers on there.

Stearing shake..... all reasons pointed out above, it happens with any car......never heard or  experienced it for no  other reason....probably an American thing like gun-control.........and incest.

Not difficult to find a belter for embarrassingly little money. Insurance on either the 2.5 or 3litre should be the same.

The 2.5`s are excellent but the 3.0 are blisteringly awesome!

My last one before I traded it in had done 183`000 miles and was as tight as the day it was born!

Have a float round Ebay and see what you can find......i`ll start you off :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-SUBARU-OUTBACK-SE-AUTO-GREY-/121412296382?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c44bc9ebe

This is the exact same model as mine, looks fantastic and its just up the road from you.....almost :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Outback-3-0-auto-Rn-2006-Black-Estate-4WD-AWD-/121414934173?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c44e4de9d

I`m around the forum most days if you want any help.

;)

Higher tax band for that second one mate  :(  July-06 registered 

I'll see what I can find on the trader later, if I get a chance  ;)

Gents

Thanks for the welcome & the advice.

I haven't a clue which way i'm gonna jump in the coming weeks!

I had developed an unhealthy fetish for the camellia red coloured 3.6R for sale at Colin Appleyards, Ashton, Manchester (just a spit & a !Removed! from me that one)

Also like the green coloured 2.5 for sale at Martin Pye, Ribble Valley. A well cared for bus.

Both on Auto Trader but I can;t put a link on because I'm dyselxic with my hands.

The fly in the ointment is neither look as sporty as the older model, but they are bigger & will eat all my carp tackle.

I'll keep you up-dated as the indecision develops  :blink:

Majik

The second 06 plate one at Sheffield looks to the dogs.

They've spent some detailing it that's for sure.

How do we feel about tow bars, would that put anyone off buying one.

Could well have just tugged a trailer about rather than upsetting the likes off us and towed a charabang  :angry: