Leaking Sump

farmerpug

I noticed today that the Forester had a fairly noticeable oil leak under it, i took a closer look under it and it looks like the sump has got rusty and is leaking oil through the rusty area, since most of the sump is rusty it doesn't look like there is much point in trying to weld it up as it would just leak again.

Would a sump from a 1995 Imprezza Fit the forester:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-SUBARU-IMPREZA-2-0-PETROL-OIL-SUMP-PAN-/221454750036?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item338fbb5154

Is there an Identification plate on the engine that has the engine code that way i might be able to check.

Its been caused either by the rust or another meeting with a ditch, which caused some damage:

IMG_9806_zpsac16cbe2.jpg

I have got a new wing, and mirror for the car, but its a good job i havent fitted it yet :)

• 1 month later...

I fitted the sump this evening, the back bolts are a bit ackward to get at, but putting a jack under the engine and lifting it up gives just enough clearance to undo the bolts:

IMG_9993_zpsefda9225.jpg

One question though, what sort of oil does these subarus take, ive tonnes of 10w 40 lying about but i dont want to put it into the subaru if it will do damage

• Like 1

I got it a bottle of 10w 40 and a new filter, almost a full service.

Its back in the mushroom house, but its good to be able to move it again:

IMG_9996_zps8059a350.jpg

Its got a new bit of cardboard sitting under it now to see if the oil leak has been cured, the old sump leaked quite a bit of oil out but it was easy to see it weeping.

That's not uncommon is it will have to keep a good on my sump for rust through, not many vehicles suffer with it I know the early Vauxhall corsas used to rot out and you would drive along and then bang engine gone because the sump had rusted out.

My daughter had an M plate corsa she got all the service kit I went to undo the sump plug and a 6" circle with the plug came straight off, got a mate who makes alloy sumps for race cars and he made me an alloy one looked real good to.

Paul

Hot dipped zinc plating supposedly rated to handle about 200degC before it starts to de-laminate.

If plating outside of sump works out too expensive you could just give sump a good clean & key & give it a few coats of 2 pack epoxy car paint, stuff is hard wearing & should withstand engine temps ok & keep elements off the sump for some time.

Could brush or spray hammerite too perhaps.

Have seen odd sump  rust patch, sometimes it maybe bad spot of steel but also gets a lot of weathering down there plus as Jay said, no oil leaks as a secondary anti-corrosion barrier :-)

Ford & Rover seem be able make um rust well even when oily :-S quite clever are ford :-)

Fords are quite good at rusting all over especially the old smiley transit; very strong mechanically but very rusty.

I dont know why they dont just come with an aluminium/alloy sump from the factory.

Im thinking of getting a bit of 5mm plate plasma cut at work and making a bit of a sump guard that bolts up into whatever free bolts there are sitting under the car, i think getting another dinge would be more likely to happen to this new sump than it rusting away.

Fords are quite good at rusting all over especially the old smiley transit; very strong mechanically but very rusty.

I dont know why they dont just come with an aluminium/alloy sump from the factory.

Im thinking of getting a bit of 5mm plate plasma cut at work and making a bit of a sump guard that bolts up into whatever free bolts there are sitting under the car, i think getting another dinge would be more likely to happen to this new sump than it rusting away.

Sounds good idea with you off roading style :-)

Should be easy enough finding mounting points near rear & to middle of a sump guard plate, front not so easy as the rad bar in nice spot but flimsy. need branch off to chassis legs with custom brackets & support frame.

Any effort better than standard plastic nappy though & good even in deep mud/snow & godsend for your favourite ditch should it have a hidden tree stump or stone lol :) have fun ...