HOLSET 2.1 stroker legacy

turbotomo

If it was a compressor racing hy it would have been the 10cm exhaust housing ..

I've read 28 psi is the danger zone and you need a sleeved block

Running 2 bar has got to be in the 500hp range .

did you use an oil feed restrictor , and what did you do with the water lines for the stock turbo , block them or joined them?

…………………………………………………………

Here's what I'm doing with mine,

As I'm mounting it flipped or reversed not sure what you'd call it (check pic in post #1). Getting the output from the turbo to go under the intake manifold means the exhaust will be very close if not touching the brake master cylinder.

Here it is with a Vband 2.5" tight 90 bend into a 3" . I think the 2.5" will be restrictive as well..

IMG_20150420_222650.jpg

Internal wastegate fully open , totally useless will get boost creep me thinks:) so external is a must.

IMG_20150420_223322.jpg

So I don't need the internal gate and I need to make it all a bit shorter and flow better . I've killed 3 birds with one stone.

Got the hacksaw out and started cutting , took an hour,,

IMG_20150421_231527.jpg

Now its a bit shorter and I can weld a plate on the wastegate hole. Use a 3.5" tight 90°bend , Vband it on the bottom for the down pipe ,which will also be 3.5". should improve spool up and flow and it will sound epic,,, just need to weld it all up..

IMG_20150421_231750.jpg

It still might not fit and I may have to go rotaded,,

• Like 1

Good stuff lad, I'm running a tial 44mm ewg, there is enough room for rotated of you turn the cold side around. I piped the water feed straight to expansion tank and running a restricter for the oil feed, it's one for a Volvo turbo if I remember correctly. Going to sell my cdb that is machined out for 2.5 crank and 14mm head studs of anyone is interested as got something else lined up

I might be interested in the cdb , it all comes down to price, plus I've got to get new head studs and have the heads modded, its going to add up fast,

Has it been rebored already?

Don't think the build needs 14mm studs , do you know of any other cdb

Not sure what to do now,,,,,

Watching this thread quite eagerly as I like something a bit different and need a bigger turbo next year [emoji5]

Did you say you had a graph of a holset on a 2ltr ?

What about getting your block "pinned" not sure about the cost but do know it's supposed to make them more reliable

I'm open to sensible offers, pretty sure it's just std size at the moment would need to measure it only recently picked it up. my friend has another but would need the machining done and a general tidy up as whoever had it before him was clearly a moron and used it as a shelf so there's a few marks here and there

This is info from compressor racing for the hy35 , not Subaru but gives you some idea,,

2ltr Nissan RB20 engine with forged standard compression pistons, standard head and cams, and pump fuel- 470bhp and 400lb/ft at 1.5bar boost, full boost by 3800rpm, no noticable power loss even at 8000rpm, and even more low down power than the small Garrett GT2871 previously fitted. Full boost at high rpm was possible even at 50% throttle- Almost unheard of on a 2ltr engine with a turbo of this size. Tuner said that 500-550bhp was highly likely at 2bar+ but the standard ignition coils couldn't cope over 1.5bar boost.

Dyno graph from another car think it was a 2.5 though,, impressive torque curve

IMG_20150423_202534.jpg.png

• 1 month later...

Cool stuff dude. My GT40 is rotated in the same manner your doing. I love the way it makes the engine bay look with the turbo sitting across the back there. You do loose a little hp because of the nature of the sharp bend out the turbo but even remotely enough to notice. I look forward very much to seeing how you do yours. looks ace.

• Like 2

Cool stuff dude. My GT40 is rotated in the same manner your doing. I love the way it makes the engine bay look with the turbo sitting across the back there. You do loose a little hp because of the nature of the sharp bend out the turbo but even remotely enough to notice. I look forward very much to seeing how you do yours. looks ace.

Gt40 , nice. Bet that shifts up top,

Can you post a couple of pics of you turbo setup , there aren't many around with it mounted on top , and where have you mounted the wastegate?

Thanks

I'll put all the pics up in a build thread tonight. Loads of pics of the headers etc as I was doing them. My wastegate went up top in front of the turbo. Because it's a twin scroll there was no room for it under neither.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

More parts to tick off the list ,

Killer B sump , oil pick up , and baffle plate , holds 30% more oil . build quality is brilliant

IMG_20150624_111306.jpg

IMG_20150624_111436.jpg

IMG_20150624_111456.jpg

IMG_20150624_111156.jpg

Competition clutch , 6kg flywheel and stage 4 ceramic clutch , I've had it all balanced with the crank , by Andrews Precision probably the best balancing company in the uk , my mate will only use them and he builds race engines with 10k+ redlines , so it will do for me

IMG_20150624_110330.jpg

Also picked up a 3 bar map sensor , I recon I've got about 90% of parts for the engine now , won't be long till assembly ,,

IMG_20150624_130620.jpg

Best start saving for the 6 speed box and group N mounts

• Like 1

Here it is mate ,

http://www.killerbmotorsport.net/oiling-products/combo.html

Postage was 80 USD I think but customs took a big chunk charged me £116. Ouch

Its about 600gbp all said and done , but as the cosworth sump is nearly 500 on its own , its not bad I think .

Some might get lucky and go straight through customs,,

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Did this build get finished.

im also running a holset hy35 but using the holset 9cm houseing from a  he351. 

I've got a built 2.0 cdb with v1-2 ra heads and cams ported and polished. 

Car made 460bhp on v power @1.8bar  and 505bhp with 20% meth @ 2.0bar

looking to build a 2.1 or mayb a 2.35 if funds are avaliable. 

Here is the graph

image.png