New Outback H6 Owner

Pinchcliff

Pincliff, Sheffield subaru service are pretty good if you are looking for a decent garage. Martin knows what he's talking about. I'd certainly suggest you go there, most of us go well out of our way to get to him. 

again thanks for the input, to be honest Sheffield is around 2.3 hrs from me so a bit of a drive, as has been suggested I'm going to wait for the diagnosis from Autolink and make a decision then. My honest thoughts are that I'll sell this one and buy another, it's all about how much of a loss I'll make, hasn't put me of though, definitely going to buy another 3.0 H6 Outback.

The garage diagnosis was inconclusive, he's established it's definitely top end but without further invasive (engine removal) work it's impossible to say with any accuracy. He did speculate the car would most probably run on and on with the noise without too much of a problem, so my decision is to start looking for another and just run this as is for now, I did get him to change the oil and filter so basically all's well for now.

I'm now looking for that most elusive of things, a 1 owner, full history, H6 Outback, my max budget is £1500 which I realise is probably only going to buy an older car but I don't mind that as long as it's a good one. Anyone know of one??

Jeff.  

Hens teeth comes to mind at that price. At least you have a runner while you wait for one to come up.

Good luck with the search; I'll keep my eyes open for you

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Id have paid for an hour's labour, and asked them to check the valve clearances

Then you'd have had a conclusive answer.

1.5K for a replacement ... going to be tough

Have you considerd a replcement engine option ..; may be a cheaper method

Just done some digging, there are a couple of sub 1.5K cars on the bay at the moment, and a few sub 2k

but i spotted this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-H6-COMPLETE-3-0-EZ30-ENGINE-CAN-BE-HEARD-RUNNING-95K-/261733327685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf085a345

at 350 it may be your answer. book time for a swap is 4.5hrs if you can do it mates rates

Mart

Hi Mart,

thanks for your reply and thanks for the hyperlink to eBay, in terms of taking the head covers off I was advised that they could do this but anything other than re-shimming would require engine removal, the noise is far to much to be a valve clearance out of tolerance so his advice (unless I wanted to spend a fortune) was to just run it.

Whilst a replacement engine would be an option (and I do appreciate the thought) I've kind of decided to run it until I can find a better car then just sell as is, I realise this may not be the most cost effective solution but £350 on an engine plus another few hundred for fitting just doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe the new owner (if I can find one) may want to go down that route.

Jeff.

Just check its compatible / fits with your model before you commit to purchase!

The link specifys an engine, however its down to you to satisfy yourself its compatible with your current

car

Hope it works out ok

Mart

I have the engine type number and I've checked with the local main dealer, it will fit however to update, the person from the scrapyard hasn't turned in to work today??? so nobody else seems to know anything about, very annoying! 

UPDATE: well never buy did buy another engine, PXed the car against another outback, a 2.5 and a few years newer, lost a fair few quid but got a decent deal on the 2.5 Outback, drove it home, over 220 miles, runs like a dream, guess I'll just put the H6 down to experience, the dealer wasn't bothered about the noise, I'm guessing he made his money when he took the car in, he says he'll just punt the H6 through the auction, I got £450 for it against the new car (well a 2004 model), all in all I'm pleased with the way things have worked out even if I have lost a few quid.

• 3 weeks later...

hi mate just been reading your topic anout the h6 you had

. iI habe the same car 02. ive had it since nov last yeah wss looking for one for 6 weeks found one thats been well looked after 146.000 on it now 164.000 best car ive had with that meny mile on it runs like its done 50 tho, so iI highly recomend the h6.if your 2.5 is auto get the oil & filter changed its well advised