Catch can... Talk to me.

Hi guys,

So finally got the car back after having the short block replaced, pistons and so on this has lead me down the path of wanting to keep everything as nice as possible as the car is a keeper after all the work.

I have started looking into catch cans just wondering if it's something I should be fitting and if people have a recommended make.

Thanks

Alex

--

I make Films and Website for people

How much do you want to spend ? There are some really nice ones that are really expensive and some that will probably do the job a lot cheaper,

Can you send us a pm of the rough costs of all work done by api ?

Been emailing them about various options and interested to know what they haven't told me lol

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

How much do you want to spend ? There are some really nice ones that are really expensive and some that will probably do the job a lot cheaper,

Can you send us a pm of the rough costs of all work done by api ?

Been emailing them about various options and interested to know what they haven't told me lol

Not looking to spend loads so under £100 would be nice but would rather pay more than get something that won't do the job.

Also API didn't do the work in the end as Subaru wanted to do it themselves so it was done by a subaru dealer.

Thanks

Alex

MCM literally just did a video on this :D

Lol yer I have seen it and its what made me thing about one really. Just wasn't sure if people had one they use or recommend and so on.

Thanks

Alex

Have a look at the mishimoto site they seen to have some nice looking ones for under a ton, i'd go baffled though.

Tlag was also looking at installing one? There's thread somewhere lol.

I'm just unsure as to all the plumbing as there's a lot of conflicting info

Have a look at the mishimoto site they seen to have some nice looking ones for under a ton, i'd go baffled though.

Tlag was also looking at installing one? There's thread somewhere lol.

I'm just unsure as to all the plumbing as there's a lot of conflicting info

Thanks look like the best option from them. Might be worth spending a little bit more. I guess it's one of those things once you have the piping in place you can upgrade the catch can very easily.

However I like the look of there more expensive option. I know Perrin has a very expensive one that looks good more might be more than I want to spend.

Thanks

Alex

--

I have a catch can, well two actually (long story and you don't actually need two but now it's in, it's staying).

The way I looked at it was: the breather system on the Subaru is designed to put the oil laden back into the intake system. To my way of thinking, that cannot be right. Therefore, blanking the standard system off at the PCV and diverting the dirty air out has to be a good thing.

I've only done 600-700 miles since the build and I had a look inside the catch can. Already, their is a slimy mess inside. Not enough to register on the sight bar on the side but still a mess. I'd rather it was caught in the can than allowed back in the engine.

I have a catch can, well two actually (long story and you don't actually need two but now it's in, it's staying).

The way I looked at it was: the breather system on the Subaru is designed to put the oil laden back into the intake system. To my way of thinking, that cannot be right. Therefore, blanking the standard system off at the PCV and diverting the dirty air out has to be a good thing.

I've only done 600-700 miles since the build and I had a look inside the catch can. Already, their is a slimy mess inside. Not enough to register on the sight bar on the side but still a mess. I'd rather it was caught in the can than allowed back in the engine.

So your venting yours to atmosphere? What can did you get?

Thanks

Alex

--

Does yours follow this concept Tlag ?

d14f63c6f63b46fbc62b25a11654920d.jpg

I've read your project thread a while back but it got a bit too confusing, i'd like to put one in at some point but don't want to mess it all up haha.

Alex, these chaps do some nice stuff too www.rally-tech.com

If you get a triple port one where does all that run off ?

Mine are plumbed up similar to above but they vent to atmosphere with a small filter on the end.

They are Greddy ones and I think they were about £30 each. As you can see in the diagram above, I could have got away with one and just 'T' them together.

The more expensive ones are baffled and I think you have to fit a "ferrell or boss " to connect a pipe to to let oil return sump .

I went for a cheap 2 port eBay one that vta for now, which you have to empty via a drain plug. Every 500 miles ish it has about a egg cup of fluid which is mainly condensation (creamy water) .

On the ej20 classic there's 3 oil breather outlets ,1 on each cam cover and 1 for the crank case (under the turbo outlet) although the crank case one has a y pipe that splits the vapour into 2 directions

I blocked the bigger dia bore crankcase end of the y pipe and used 15mm internal dia silicone hose to plumb it into one of the catch can ports .

Then "T"d the cam cover outlets together and plumbed that into the other port with the 15 mm I'd pipe

Only slight issues are it looks a bit crude and because I've fitted it to the back of the bay I occasionally get a wiff of oil in the cabin after a spirited drive .

If I ever fit a baffled sump I'll chuck a boss in it before I fit it and probably try to source a catch can that runs coolant through the middle of it (I saw a crower one on a usdm scoob ) it helps to keep the moisture out of the vapour in the first place. which means it hasn't got to work as hard to separate the condensation and oil to allow it to return to sump .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Right after having a poke around clives car on sat, my head is a bit clearer as to where it plumbs in, I think, trouble is I have so much extra in the engine bay compared to others I'm still a bit lost,

I take it this is the area I'm looking in

56c38a361b87e1e72f184d7e3f293822.jpg

From rocker cover ?

The one underneath bending left slightly running towards the the topmount

f16ea8347ed02b6f119c692b531349e3.jpg

Crankcase breather ?

84ba2f9446d9f5f6f61e9f126becd81a.jpg

All help/advice appreciated as usual [emoji51]

• 1 year later...

Back with a thread redirection. 

I am still looking and thinking about the Grimspeed oil air seporator as it looks like an easy install and drops the oil back into the engine. 

Its a choice between that but it is still expensive at over £200 or the mishimoto system that is crazy expensive at over £400 for the 2 can set up. 

I guess i can can just buy the cans and try and make the system myself but not sure how well

that will go. 

Look at their eBay site, cans are a little cheaper and no postage charges, it is easier to build a set up yourself, mishimoto stuff will be all the right length and have nice bends etc etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, stants said:

Look at their eBay site, cans are a little cheaper and no postage charges, it is easier to build a set up yourself, mishimoto stuff will be all the right length and have nice bends etc etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks will take a look on eBay.

• 7 months later...

I've done a single catch can with 3 ports and a breather on my blobeye, just blanked off two of the induction hose ports, removed the breather pipe on the intercooler and connected the three breathers to the catch can and routed the catch can breather hose under the car past the passenger seats.

I initially looked into the rcm baffled return to sump catch can but 1. It costs a fortune and 2. return to sump is only ideal if your racing or you have a fancy system that prevents the dirty oil vapour in the first place so I will just empty it every so often. it's a large 1 litre tank and baffled so happy days.

I bought all the hoses and connectors separately to my own specification for the tank that is also supplied on it's own so if anyone wants any pointers it's a quite straight forward setup as I didn't like the idea of having to plumb two catch cans in with the already limited space as I wanted to relocate my new coolant overflow tank also.

18485905_10155064402262631_795541744953945993_n.jpg.94609394967e4d31d4f1fa856ef23877.jpg

• 10 months later...

Old topic i know. I have grimspeed aos installed. I like the idea as it is an easy install and uses the heat from the head to evaporate any water from the oil, some catch cans don't have heat added. Others you have to tap off the coolant through it. If you track day your car a lot then I would not recommend the grimspeed but for daily driver yes. I am sure the car feels snappier and just runs nicer. Maybe placebo due to the cost. When you take it off you can see it has separated some oil. Less chance of knock, detonation and lowering your octane.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

hi i want install a catch can on my wrx 05 and remove (or close) the pcv valve. so i thought about doing it like this

Radium-AOS-Setup.png

connect crankcase and right / left head covers together and connect to catch can.  (closing/removing pcv valve and intake hose where was connected crankcase breath)

Engine-bay-of-a-2004-Subaru-WRX-STI-Copi

it's ok?