Catch can... Talk to me.

As this thread has been resurrected.

I know it is a bit pricey but what are peoples thoughts on the Grimspeed Air Oil Separator? This would do a similar job. The feed back into the intake would be cleaner reducing carbon build up and reduce the possibility of detonation (ring failure). The heat from the engine would also get the AOS hot so the moisture stays as vapour back into the intake but the oil should separate and drips back into the engine via oil filler neck. Not for track cars and high boost high BHP cars as they state on their website (catch can). I assume due to oil serge pulling high Gs on track and the much higher ventilation pressures on big boost. Surely can only be a good thing for the mild tuned motors.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/air-oil-separator-wrx-sti-lgt-fxt/

• 1 month later...

I have a Mishimoto catch can, the small one, and let me tell you; it's too small! Needs weekly emptying.

Go for a larger one if you can afford it.

As far as hooking it up, there's a lot of options, I went for the simplest one, which is to connect the head breathers with a T in one of the catch can inlets, the crank breather in the other, and the outlet back to the intake pipe. Delete the PCV as they are prone to problems. Others have told me not to upset the pressure system by using two catch cans, but I've had mine for the past 4000 miles and so far it works fine, apart from some condensation which is annoying.

• Like 1

I have a Mishimoto catch can, the small one, and let me tell you; it's too small! Needs weekly emptying.
Go for a larger one if you can afford it.
As far as hooking it up, there's a lot of options, I went for the simplest one, which is to connect the head breathers with a T in one of the catch can inlets, the crank breather in the other, and the outlet back to the intake pipe. Delete the PCV as they are prone to problems. Others have told me not to upset the pressure system by using two catch cans, but I've had mine for the past 4000 miles and so far it works fine, apart from some condensation which is annoying.
If your emptying it once a week I'd be looking at some of the reasons its filling up that quickly, how many miles are you doing in a week ?

Mine used to collect maybe an egg cup or two in a couple hundred miles of driving, emptying it was a pain until I bought the petcock kit and drained it from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@stants I think a lot of it is condensation, one of the crank breathers was not pushed in properly, I'm also getting a considerable amount of blow-by because the motor now has about 112K miles. It is also a very small can, about 200ml or less I think, so that's not helping. I've emptied it two weeks ago, so I'll try and actually see at what mileage I have to empty it.