THE TYRE THREAD !

• 11 months later...

Pilot sport 4's all round. 18". Cost about £650 fitted. Best tires ive ever used, comes off roundabouts switching position (right to left) safe as houses, they dig in brilliantly under power, given me the most confidence of any tire I've used before including P-Zeros, which were admittedly on a lighter FWD car, so maybe not a great basis for comparison. Regardless, I'd recommend the Pilot Sport 4 in a heartbeat. 

• 1 month later...

After much torment tonight, I’m going all in for a set of Michelin crossclimate +’s.

Swmbo had a big day in it, wanting the reassurance that they give in colder weather

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

On 06/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, david1972 said:

After much torment tonight, I’m going all in for a set of Michelin crossclimate +’s.

Swmbo had a big day in it, wanting the reassurance that they give in colder weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting new boots fitted tomorrow, also going for Michelin Crossclimate +.

Swapping 245/40 r18 for 235/45 r18, extra 7mm rad, should fill the arch nicely.  😊

£690 fitted, at my local garage via Black Circles. May take before and after pics. 

On 11/6/2017 at 3:24 PM, david1972 said:

Buying a set of 18s tonight and looking at uniroyal rainsport 3s. Anyone running these and can comment on winter, snow, ice performance please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There great in the rain from what I know of.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:22 PM, Pixyflash said:

SOC1-2043x2041.thumb.jpg.ebb8317866d6679838002c867cf92013.jpg

Not a lot of room to spare, if it had anything even resembling suspension there could have been problems. 😁

20171113_121822.thumb.jpg.bab06f5ec248998834fe5b2a40974ea7.jpg

Hmmm...that’s stock? I wonder if I should do that...

Looking into tyres as I need to get some soon. Kind of debating between Michelin Pilot Sport, Goodyear Eagle F1, Falken Azenis (spelling), and Kumho Escata’s. I know which the best is, but I’m thinking if I don’t break the bank I can get them refurbed as well...F1’s know a few people that swear by them...had Kumho on a old car before and they were pretty good considering the price...Azenis...I’m dubious about winter/wet.

• 1 year later...

Brand - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

Size - 225 45 17

Cost £400, £100 per corner fitted

No cons yet. Big improvement over the old Potenza Stock tyres for 2007 WRX. Great wet grip and smoother ride which helps as there is a pothole in northampton every 2 foot it seems.  I agree with most of the positive reviews you will find on the web about these tyres. Will have to see about wear rate.

• 2 years later...

Just fitted mine with Crossclimate 2's - Alpin 5's were recommended by others but I went for an all season as actual snow is normally for a couple of days / weeks only more wet and cold and I have been impressed with the crossclimates in the past. Went for the OEM Subaru tyre size of 245 / 40/ 18.

Will post feedback as I put some miles on them

Cost was £520 fitted

2 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Just fitted mine with Crossclimate 2's - Alpin 5's were recommended by others but I went for an all season as actual snow is normally for a couple of days / weeks only more wet and cold and I have been impressed with the crossclimates in the past. Went for the OEM Subaru tyre size of 245 / 40/ 18.

Will post feedback as I put some miles on them

Cost was £520 fitted

That makes good sense.  As I live in the rural north Pennines we're one of the snowier parts of England and Wales so it's always full winter tyres here (maybe global warming will fix that!).  Cost a whooping £720 including fitting so was quite painful, but hey ho.

I'd be interest how you fair with the all-seasons as I'm ponder replacing the summer Bridgestones Duelers that came with the car with all-seasons once they wear out.

15 hours ago, Justin Time said:

That makes good sense.  As I live in the rural north Pennines we're one of the snowier parts of England and Wales so it's always full winter tyres here (maybe global warming will fix that!).  Cost a whooping £720 including fitting so was quite painful, but hey ho.

I'd be interest how you fair with the all-seasons as I'm ponder replacing the summer Bridgestones Duelers that came with the car with all-seasons once they wear out.

I did search for discount codes which reduced it quite a bit - 15% off. ONe thing that does appeal about the use of Michelins is, allegedly,  the grip is the same even down to the minimum tread depth.

Given your motor and location I think replacing the Bridgestones with all season alternatives is a good idea 👍

• 8 months later...