Newer Generation Subaru's. What would you Buy? Or Older Model ?

Moss

I prefer the look of the older Subarus, I wanted a cheap ish 4x4 just to play with over winter to replace a extreamly annoying and problematic low mileage Volvo v50 2.0D. I had to get a car with isofix for my daughters childseat and was delighted to find that the second generation forester had them. I've recieved some excellent advice from this forum so opted for a 2.0 petrol late model pre facelift SG on a 04 plate as I think they just look better than the softer shape that came in circa 2005. If was only ever meant to be a 6 month car to get me through winter however I like it so much that I've just had the rust that was just beginning to show on the rear arches sorted and hope to keep it a bit longer. I am really impressed with it, the only annoyance has been a reoccurring engine management light that's popped up every now and then but I know it's not serious and the exchaust is rather loud for my taste but I can live with that.

I think for my next car I will probably go for a legacy, I don't know if it'll bet a 2.5 petrol or a diesel, depeands how much I I have to play with, I've had diesels for the last 9 years, my commute to work is now a 55 mile round trip so it would help going back to diesel however I've read some real horror stories for the pre 2010 diesels, I don't know if they've sorted it for after 2010 or not. 

Hi Mdon,

Re your problem : " only annoyance has been a reoccurring engine management light that's popped up every now and then but I know it's not serious"

Do you have a Subaru tow bar fitted?  could be a towbar electrics connect pin stuck in; you'll find it in the socket at about 2.15pm it's very small; but they sometimes stick in - worth a try to release the small pin.   or an interior light bulb blown will cause the engine management light to come on intermittently.   Hope this helps in some way.

• Like 1

The tow has been removed however the socket is zip tied up under the bumper, I'll have a check. I doubt it is that though as the code that pops up is P0519 idle air control system. Thanks for the advice though, it's worth a try.

I've had several all around the 2000 era with very few issues 

changed to a 2005 last year and had nothing but trouble with it 

still trying to cure warning lights , humming noises , cat emissions headlight blowing bulbs oh and the clutch is in its way out !