What did you do to your XV today???

Dug

Finally got the headlights to do the "light you home" thing on Sunday :yahoo:

Despite following the instructions in the manual for the past year (or not, as it appears :wallbash:) it worked, just around the longest day :rolleyes:. Worked on the Levorg too, which had also proved troublesome. I have no idea what I was doing wrong but I was Captain Chuffed all day! So much so it was "Man fix car; man deserve beer" and treated myself to a couple in the sun at the pub :cheers:

Sometimes it's the small things that make the difference. (All I need now is for the sat-nav to detect traffic and my life will be complete!)

Parked in Attingham Park Shrewsbury, now I hardly ever see other XV’s as theyre as rare as rocking horse dung around here, but I pulled into a parking space and got out and suddenly noticed that the car next to me was also an XV same model and year (mine is actually a 2014 model but registered at end of December 2013, confusing I know) and even rarer it was also white. 

E4248F4B-A10E-40DD-9EAF-79F9200EAF3E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Aberdeen Chris said:

Wow, but why not...

I got a shock last week when I found out they're stopping making diesels. Which is such a shame because I think they're awesome and the euro 6 really very clean 😭

It is clean but not got the pull of the Euro 5, which is just as well as my wife gave me directions to the Peak District and took me past the highest village in England, with a really long steep drag up to the top which at one point had me in second gear!!

made it though, I think we’ll find an easier route back

9 hours ago, Dogconker said:

It is clean but not got the pull of the Euro 5, which is just as well as my wife gave me directions to the Peak District and took me past the highest village in England, with a really long steep drag up to the top which at one point had me in second gear!!

made it though, I think we’ll find an easier route back

There are some lovely but tricky roads around the Peak District a very much under rated part of the UK, mind you the upside is that there are not quite so many people flocking there as Cumbria and the Yorkshire Dales.

The TV adverts are a push by the new top man at Subaru UK who has also managed to engage a few more dealers after holding a 'franchise fair'.  

On 7/15/2018 at 7:04 AM, ernieb said:

There are some lovely but tricky roads around the Peak District a very much under rated part of the UK, mind you the upside is that there are not quite so many people flocking there as Cumbria and the Yorkshire Dales.

The TV adverts are a push by the new top man at Subaru UK who has also managed to engage a few more dealers after holding a 'franchise fair'.  

Defintely much easier to tow if you don’t drive straight over the top of the biggest hill in the peak district, journey back through Ashbourne a lot easier. It’s the length that’s the issue 12m long in total.

Still, with my new ceramic coating still working well it still looked shiny

7AE3ACD5-9BCE-48C9-AE9D-C6F210FC4931.jpeg

13 hours ago, Dogconker said:

Defintely much easier to tow if you don’t drive straight over the top of the biggest hill in the peak district, journey back through Ashbourne a lot easier. It’s the length that’s the issue 12m long in total.

Still, with my new ceramic coating still working well it still looked shiny

7AE3ACD5-9BCE-48C9-AE9D-C6F210FC4931.jpeg

Would you consider treating the van with the same ceramic coating?  I know from experience what a pain it it to keep a van clean?

I am consideringbit to be fair, I need to see first if it lasts, if it does I’ll order some more, so far though the car is still beading and anything that lands on it seems to get washed off with rain, it’s not been cleaned for over a week will see how long it goes for 

Hey Dogconker,

Does your front bug deflector work?

Does it reduce stone chips, and did it affect insurance.

I was overtaken on a freshly re-surfaced road, and took several hits to window, bonnet, side door 😭

Got a fine line painting pen and have 2k

Urethane paint, so will be repairing all the chips. Also bought the deflector and am hoping it helps...

I did chase down the other driver at lights, but think I may have scared them a little, and the Police were not interested in someone doing sixty on a 20mph zone marked, and overtaking. Don't want to go through insurance as it will cost me even if I could prove other driver at fault.

But I'm hoping the deflector actually helps, because this paint chips way too easy.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Chris said:

Hey Dogconker,

Does your front bug deflector work?

Does it reduce stone chips, and did it affect insurance.

I was overtaken on a freshly re-surfaced road, and took several hits to window, bonnet, side door 😭

Got a fine line painting pen and have 2k

Urethane paint, so will be repairing all the chips. Also bought the deflector and am hoping it helps...

I did chase down the other driver at lights, but think I may have scared them a little, and the Police were not interested in someone doing sixty on a 20mph zone marked, and overtaking. Don't want to go through insurance as it will cost me even if I could prove other driver at fault.

But I'm hoping the deflector actually helps, because this paint chips way too easy.

I seem to have fewer chips thanmy wife’s old car that didn’t have one, the hydrosilex is supposed to help because it putd a tough silica layer over the clear coat. 

I used that Chipex system for chip repairs, was actually quite good, took some time but better results than I have had with any other system.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

I did need to shave a little off the bolt thread just above the headlamps, to give more clearance on closing the bonnet, and adjust the rubber stops so the bolt could not make contact with the top of the headlamps. Other than that a very easy fit.

But with a proper subaru decal, better that a nasty gold logo it came with, couple of quid from eBay.

All in I think it gives it a little more subaru attitude 🐾

On 7/28/2018 at 9:09 PM, Aberdeen Chris said:

Thanks,

I did need to shave a little off the bolt thread just above the headlamps, to give more clearance on closing the bonnet, and adjust the rubber stops so the bolt could not make contact with the top of the headlamps. Other than that a very easy fit.

But with a proper subaru decal, better that a nasty gold logo it came with, couple of quid from eBay.

All in I think it gives it a little more subaru attitude 🐾

I quite like the more aggressive look it gives the car to be fair. I bought mine with the car so it was a dealer install, cost me £80 + vat to supply and fit which wasn’t bad.

Looks even better if you dechome it 😉

B51BE9A0-DF3E-4593-B3AE-77519B5926D7.jpeg

Yes it does look better without so much chrome, I agree.

Maybe I will do something with that, but it's a couple of weeks since I fixed the paint chips, so Scoob will meet the rupes big foot polisher now the paint will have hardened enough first. There is a grill which is all black, and quite sporty looking 543875ea25cce_67110n.jpg.023a2c3943016d9eabf5b92b2e7a2e34.jpg

Aberdeen Chris,

I've been eyeing this grill bonnet combo for ages now, i just feel like its a shame to have a top TMIC and not have a scoop! 

If i did buy it i'd be getting it painted orange to match the car though. not a fan of random Carbon panels.
Biggest issue stopping me from buying one is that I can only find it from China / Alibaba type stores and that I cant be 100% sure the scoop actually goes through or if its just a gimic with no airpath behind it!

If anyone feels like getting one of these maybe we could club together and get a group buy?

Sideshot.jpg

@Aberdeen Chris if you want to loose a few days of your life looking at diesel mods.... then click the link...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3998684/2010-subaru-impreza/ 

Lol,

Maybe. Although the airflow to the intercooler may not be as good with the mesh grill, and if the bonnet has the scoop does have the open airflow, I wonder how that would integrate with the ducting already in place under the bonnet.

However the XV's bonnet is heavier than on any of my previous subaru, which may have been made not from steel... Also I think it is quite a structural component in the event of a frontal impact, so an alternative one may not have the same strength...

But a scoop does suit the car 😁

I built myself a rally window hole thing.

Always liked how these looked on Foresters , but couldn't see any in Europe to buy and didn't want to spend $$$ to get them from America. These are definitely form over function but could be useful if i were to put a piece of insect mesh between the layers, for camping ventilation if you were sleeping in the car.

I was also considering putting in a 12V fan and connecting it to the Auxiliary to get some airflow through the car. 
This one turned out OK, but there are a few cracks and chips from cutting, and the pressure from the rivets caused one of the holes to generate a crack, so some other fixing might be better.
Think i'm going to see if i can get a trace of the shape and get one cut on a laser cutter/etcher so its smoother and neater than my Jigsaw job. IMG_20180806_221425.thumb.jpg.adf8ca8aa5bd777d7d4ae450a01b33a0.jpgIMG_20180806_221915.thumb.jpg.5954220961659203b2e0eb48cad0ad46.jpgIMG_20180806_224545.thumb.jpg.8810564974b6815d8c5d78c027c9cb10.jpgIMG_20180806_224647.thumb.jpg.0cb6e1c2723d5a7308d2c173a8bcf789.jpg

1 hour ago, Swayze88 said:

I built myself a rally window hole thing.

Always liked how these looked on Foresters , but couldn't see any in Europe to buy and didn't want to spend $$$ to get them from America. These are definitely form over function but could be useful if i were to put a piece of insect mesh between the layers, for camping ventilation if you were sleeping in the car.

I was also considering putting in a 12V fan and connecting it to the Auxiliary to get some airflow through the car. 
This one turned out OK, but there are a few cracks and chips from cutting, and the pressure from the rivets caused one of the holes to generate a crack, so some other fixing might be better.
Think i'm going to see if i can get a trace of the shape and get one cut on a laser cutter/etcher so its smoother and neater than my Jigsaw job. IMG_20180806_221425.thumb.jpg.adf8ca8aa5bd777d7d4ae450a01b33a0.jpgIMG_20180806_221915.thumb.jpg.5954220961659203b2e0eb48cad0ad46.jpgIMG_20180806_224545.thumb.jpg.8810564974b6815d8c5d78c027c9cb10.jpgIMG_20180806_224647.thumb.jpg.0cb6e1c2723d5a7308d2c173a8bcf789.jpg

I’m not sure I’d go with the orange, i reckon black or clear might be more my taste. You might be best bonding it rather than riveting, as you say rivets creat a lot of stress on the plastic.

have you been out with them fitted becayse I have a sneaky suspicion that they will howl like a banshee 😂

you’ll have to let us know how you get on. 

• 1 year later...