2017 STI in the house

muziqaz

Just now, JohnM said:

Have you done any power mods? I hit peak boost of 1.31 with a CAI and cat-back. 

The car is under warranty and daily, so not touching anything ;) Have Cosworth Air Intake filter, and axelback and car dynoed at exactly 300bhp with Sports mode ;) I think with Sports sharp it would have been possible to get a bit higher.

Either way, for a moment whatever car produces is plenty for me :)

Likewise, I'm more than happy with mine at the moment... Daily driving and 300 ponies is plenty!

Quick question, have you experienced any squealing from the brakes? I'm getting it under what I'd describe as daily braking ie normal approach to a junction etc... if I bury the pedal a bit more it stops squealing but its very annoying.

I've treated the brakes to some hard braking to try and clean them up a bit but to no avail. just clocked 4K this morning on the way into work and its started doing it in the last 300-500miles...

Anyone else had this?

Brian

Squealing indicates of brake pad wear. Or some defect in the pad itself. If the brakes have been changed before maybe they messed up installation of new pads. Very easy to do that with brembos and inexperienced fitters ;)

I don't have this noise, but I have clicking noise when I'm parking. That clicking noise is due to pads sliding inside the holding bracket or whatever you call it. Braking performance is still top notch.

By the way, did you chip yours after the catback and intake? Usually that's advisable as those two mods are considered as ones which already require a tune ;)

Mines factory standard - nothing done, although I did manage this today!! :rolleyes:

IMG_0080_zpsjrtcvhhi.jpg

Got the car booked in to the dealership on Tuesday just to inspect the brakes and see whats going on...

Standard STIs manage 1.27 max I think. Met someone at one meet, who actually clocked in 1.27 in Germany. It just depends on the person's desire to flatfoot the car :D I can't do it, due to mental roadblocks, which bit by bit I'm overcoming, thus increased boost numbers :D I always accelerate with 40% of pedal pushed only :D Once it catches boost, RPM just shoot up so quick, that I can't shift fast enough :D :D But I practice :D

How about vicious front wheel torque steer from the front wheels on heavy acceleration even in standard mode. isnt the whole point of permanent wheel drive and torque vectoring to eliminate this. I know i can use DCCD but in auto mode why !

20 minutes ago, AJ 8186 said:

How about vicious front wheel torque steer from the front wheels on heavy acceleration even in standard mode. isnt the whole point of permanent wheel drive and torque vectoring to eliminate this. I know i can use DCCD but in auto mode why !

I wouldn't say its vicious for me, though mine is 2017 ME, so they might have adjusted bits and pieces as they always do. I only feel the torque steer when I hit the pot hole while accelerating hard, but its nothing major and once on the smooth enough road, don't have torque steer at all. Besides, torque steer should be still present in 4 wheel drive car, until computer picks up and fixes it.

On 12/07/2017 at 8:25 PM, muziqaz said:

Have Cosworth Air Intake filter, and axelback and car dynoed at exactly 300bhp with Sports mode ;) I think with Sports sharp it would have been possible to get a bit higher.

Did you notice any difference with the Cosworth filter?

And where did you get it from?

I'm axle back, muffler delete, and was thinking of changing the filter.

19 minutes ago, Pixyflash said:

Did you notice any difference with the Cosworth filter?

And where did you get it from?

I'm axle back, muffler delete, and was thinking of changing the filter.

With Cosworth filter I did not see any change, though there might be, since it is picking up more air. And that wooshy sound, is epic :D I got it from subispeed.com with other bits and bobs. There is some UK etailers who list it, but they charge an arm and a leg :)

Sounds like your doing it wrong lol

just fitted scorpion back boxes and now it appears to be more pronounced. Under heavy acceleration the front wheels are scrabbling at the tarmac. have been used to powerfull rear wheel drive cars for a few years. Can the DCCD be used and set to eliminate, if so how do you use this !Removed! thing as after owning 4 subarus over 15 years it is still a mystery and have heard horror stories around fiddling with it. Yes quite possibly i'm doing it wrong, thanks Kershaw lol.

2 minutes ago, AJ 8186 said:

just fitted scorpion back boxes and now it appears to be more pronounced. Under heavy acceleration the front wheels are scrabbling at the tarmac. have been used to powerfull rear wheel drive cars for a few years. Can the DCCD be used and set to eliminate, if so how do you use this !Removed! thing as after owning 4 subarus over 15 years it is still a mystery and have heard horror stories around fiddling with it. Yes quite possibly i'm doing it wrong, thanks Kershaw lol.

The only horror story is hard locking it. You can always set it to give most power to rear wheels, though it will never give 100% to rear and 0% to front. As far as I know that won't harm anything as well :)

3 hours ago, AJ 8186 said:

Thanks for the reply is it plus or minus for the switch between rear and front have tried to research but varying opinions leave me unsure. cheers for any response.

Minus is rear wheels getting power. So flip the toggle back. And its easy to test it out :D Which ever wheels are spinning then you are hooning that will be an answer :D

By the way, just came back from the meet, where one of the guys with 64 plate my shape clocked in 1.29 of boost :D

52 minutes ago, AJ 8186 said:

1.16 boost up to date. front wheels cant cope. will play a bit more with DCCD.

That is mostly weird :/ Never had any issues with traction (even with traction control off in wet) or torque steer (unless I'm holding the wheel like a gangsta single hand and hit the pot hole while accelerating). Car feels like it should feel with scoobies 4 wheel drive. I hope yours is not locked dif for some reason :D

It is very easy to push to 1.23+ with SPort Sharp, traction control off and dry tarmac even at these hot conditions.

Had a privilege to participate in some weekend events:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskZCASdT Oakley's Prom. Boy had life threatening syndrome couple of years back. Was great seeing him and everyone around him smiling and freaking out with Scooby convoy :D very proud of turn out. Had only couple of hours head start. Subaru family did not disappoint :)

Second event was in Essex. Essex Scooby Crew leader's private plate presentation get together. Everyone pitched in, and we bought her the number plate. Well worth the drive :)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4xxh4N

11 hours ago, muziqaz said:

It is very easy to push to 1.23+ with SPort Sharp, traction control off and dry tarmac even at these hot conditions.

Hitting 1.23 in Sport, not really tried the Sport# yet, it's more trigger than accelerator. 😊

20170718_072614.thumb.jpg.ed5806dea0ac895ea25665da37e4de55.jpg

1.16 boost up to date. front wheels cant cope. will play a bit more with DCCD.

What tires are you using , never head anyone complain , my car has 415 lbft of torque and it does act like your describing , yes it can wonder over bumps at full throttle sometimes but and when you accelerate mid corner the you can fell the front diff vectoring the torque . Don't understand your issue tbh

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Got standard Dunlop's  on. They scrabble and tram line like nothing else i've experienced whilst not hitting maximum boost. I have in the past held a TVR Tuscan at 160 MPH on Toyo Proxies with less concern about traction. Given that these are "Premium Tyres" and with the technology invested in the vehicle i still find that im holding on to the steering wheel under spirited acceleration and hoping it tracks in a straight line. Has it been mapped for more power doubtful. is there a problem with geometry. ?  Tyre pressures change on a weekly basis so anyone have this isssue. Great car but dont want another car that i cant trust to get me home. Will play around with DCCD.Thanks  for the replies.

Think the Dunlops are not so good. I have seen on youtube how they feel the RS Focus is quicker because it has superior tyres.

I wouldn't have said mine torque steers but it does tramline, I have noticed, certainly under heavy acceleration. If I get in a groove, I do have to give the wheel more of a shove to get across. But then they are running on 245's.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:25 PM, muziqaz said:

The car is under warranty and daily, so not touching anything ;) Have Cosworth Air Intake filter, and axelback and car dynoed at exactly 300bhp with Sports mode ;) I think with Sports sharp it would have been possible to get a bit higher.

Either way, for a moment whatever car produces is plenty for me :)

on a rolling road it shouldn't make any difference whether in Sport or Sport#, its only the pick up response that is improved

• 1 month later...