Unbelievable 😩

stecar

So my Hawkeye sti has gone and I have been the proud owner of an 08 Sti Hatchback for 5 weeks with 41000 on the clock with history costing me £13600. I've just covered 398 miles and BANG the motors gone just in my driveway!!  It's the engine knocking at 2500 rpm. Going back to garage tomorrow and I really hope they play fair and do a short block replacement and not fob me off. Any advice guys?

Did you buy it from a trader?

If so, and they try to pull a fast one just mention the consumer rights act.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

You're outside the 30 day instant refund but within 60 days so legally the fault is presumed to have existed already. Have a read through it so you have the knowledge when you contact them and in situations like this do it in writing with recorded delivery and keep copies for yourself. You may not need to go maximum effort with the legal side but with that much money at risk it's best to cover your back.

What a mare. Love my hatch. Hope the garage do the right thing. What part of the country you in. Was it a performance garage that sold it. Any mods on it.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Tidgy. It sounds like a rod bearing and there was no smoke coming out exhaust. I have video of it, can I upload it on here?They did not mention replacing head gasket. 

Jay762 I agree, fingers crossed for a stress free resolution!

OK, a few things here. Tidgy has covered one aspect.

If you have any warranty with the sale - and garages should offer 3/6 months with the car - that is your backstop on this. The warranty company should cover anything major like this. It's not as if you have had the car for time or mileage for anyone to dispute the service record or how the car has been used etc. I presume it was serviced on sale ?

But the route you should look at before warranty companies are involved is the recourse back to the trader, as Tidgy said. The issue with the warranty is that there are some conditions sometimes and they make the issue sound like it is more your fault, even though that would not be the case. But there could be some long discussions, that you don't really need.

Through the sale of goods, or in this case - sale of dodgy goods - you have a better route and a faster route to repair. There are 3 levels:-

1. First 30 days - no quibble by the trader to get the car fixed or you get your refund.
  2. 30 days to end of 6 months - trader has to prove to you the fault was not with the car before you bought it.
  3. 7th month to 1 year - you have to prove that the fault was there before you purchased the vehicle.

As you can see, the longer you have the car after the sale, the more difficult it becomes. But I would say anyone going back with a blown engine or gearbox in month 8 is going to have a tough time to prove the fault was with the car 8 months previous. That is not your position.

There could be a bit of fobbing off, however, the trader has to prove some things here. The ball is in his court to demonstrate that a low mileage motor never had this fault before he sold it. If the car had 141k miles, the proof for him to get out of this is easier as with that mileage, anything can happen quite quickly. But on a low miler of that value, one would expect a good quality motor to hold up better than 5 weeks.

The law is on your side here. Remember that.

Maybe we are all jumping the gun as the seller might agree to repair the car or refund payment without any bother.

For sure. But given the reputation traders seem to give themselves it's worth knowing what your rights are. Hopefully it is as you day and it's a nice simple situation [emoji5]

14 hours ago, johned said:

Maybe we are all jumping the gun as the seller might agree to repair the car or refund payment without any bother.

Yes, and like others have said, hopefully this all comes to a good solution quickly. But traders don't often shower themselves in glory when it comes to paying you back. Happy to receive the cash - different obstacle when paying out.

The car is a good quality motor. It's also good money (as in a fair few thousand) and that would be some write down / off for the trader, temporarily whilst he has lost the sale and has a crock on the forecourt waiting for the service area to sort.. The obvious route to take would be to repair and hand back to the OP. This would probably be the cheaper way.

Let's hope it all stays reasonable and friendly.:thumbsup:

Ok Guys I have an update. 

The garage has my car. Confirmed main bearing gone. Will be removing motor next week to check the pistons and bore etc and if damaged it looks like a replacement block. 

As for the financial side there seems to no quibble from there side in doing this work and no suggestions that I will have to pay for anything. I've not had it confirmed in writing yet but it all seems to be going ok so far. 

I will be viewing the car and motor when stripped so I can see it first hand and for my peace of mind. 

Id like to thank you all for your great response, advice and support. It has helped me no end. 

Cheers and I will be keeping you posted. 

I fully agree Tidgy. I would be great to finally find a dealer which I can trust and use again and again,  then we both win. I will name company on completion and hopefully be a great "shout out"  for them and not the dreaded "name n shame"