WANTED "ESL" BOARD

steve33

Don't really help ιt just shows the software! Do you think there would be a market for an easily mapped plug in board that tbh would probably come in under £100, tbh the money they ask for this! Ιs purely for the software ɑnd features! In a production environment I could probably make a flash extension board for a few quid!

in a nutshell - its not the tool its what you do with it - having a pentium chip does not a computer make.

The idea of replicating this board is a good one particularly as there would be possible import taxes on the ESL item (dont know where the base is) however dependant where you are in the country sourcing one and say spending some time with an experienced mapper and a rolling road you could build up some baseline maps and then you have a full solution not just a circuit board - that would then give you a potentially larger margin which in turn enables reinvestment in further development

• Like 1

not sure I do - the mapping is where the expertise and - previously highlighted - probably where the majority of cost goes into.

ESL provides a product that can be plugged in and then tweaked to suit the individual car because they cover both aspects- that means you can take your car once fitted and have it set up.

Having the board on its own you are then reliant on a tuner having the baseline map to use on the chip - ESL appear to have this, ECUTek is an example for later models but again is subject to a license fee. Where would a tuner get the baseline maps to apply to your chip - if they end up going to ESL there will be a licence cost and possibly an annoyed supplier but they could recognise the value in the financial opportunity afforded by the sale of the code (a la ECUTek licensing).

If you have a product, however good or value for money it is, if it is hard for the consumer to use / apply you will not sell any.

So whilst I dont want you to take this as me trying to put you off your idea - in fact I did consider suggesting a JV investment in research, the product needs a more rounded / complete solution to the board itself.