Coilovers

Piggysniffer

9 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

Maybe mate, didn't seem to move much with a little pry bar, will change them anyway, have not hit any kerbs or anything at all @Seminole81, I've put the front arb on, no difference really, dropped the rear bar down to its lowest rating on the back which seemed to help a bit, it's just got a really odd feeling like its floating go around on the sidewalls when you change direction, have put 40osi in all round, better but still not right, could this really be new tyres break in period ??, oh forgot to say, it's fine in a straight line and grippy in the corner, but it's the sloppy feeling as you make a direction change that's nasty

Any signs of leaky shocks?

Have run Toyo T1R's before - never needed a bed in period they were spot on as soon as the shine came off - 100 meters up road - dont think it is the tyres. Check your bearing mounts on suspnsion tops - one may be cracked?

Another damning review from piggy. Everyone boycott toyo! 😂

40psi seems a bit high. Try to drop it down to 32 and see how you get on.

The picture could explain why you don't feel as much grip and comes across boaty. 853998acf3cbf413f244d8e12aa260a6.jpg

• Like 1

Lols, did the standard pressures and worked my way up, tyres are grippy in the corner so they must have bedded in enough, it's gotta be a car issue, just gotta try and find what exactly, just got the wife to drive it and do a quick double direction change and even she felt it, up until that point she was just saying I'm mental lol, it actually feels dangerous to me, these new tyres have exacerbated what was already going on, are these gas shocks ? Would I see a leak of any description ? Will check strut tops and stuff, can't see anything wrong underneath, need a forum member to drive it to appreciate what I'm saying really 

2 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Have run Toyo T1R's before - never needed a bed in period they were spot on as soon as the shine came off - 100 meters up road - dont think it is the tyres. Check your bearing mounts on suspnsion tops - one may be cracked?

What am I looking for here, cracked rubber ? feels like it's the ar-se end floating around tbh

Well seems I may have got to the bottom of it, toyo t1r are highly recommended by people for use in a race car or a classic scooby, (lighter cars) , but apparently are an absolute no no to fit to the heavier newage scoobs as the sidewalls are not designed to work too good with the heavier car 🤔

8 hours ago, Piggysniffer said:

Well seems I may have got to the bottom of it, toyo t1r are highly recommended by people for use in a race car or a classic scooby, (lighter cars) , but apparently are an absolute no no to fit to the heavier newage scoobs as the sidewalls are not designed to work too good with the heavier car 🤔

I wouldn't imagine it would make that much of a difference if I'm honest. I've ran them before as well and can say they're great tyres...mine was on a lighter car, but still...wouldn't imagine it would be that bad to making the car feel unsafe and dangerous to drive.

My car was exactly the same

It felt dangerous to drive

Me an my mate with same car used to go for drives and his has uprated suspension and mine didnt and where he was going round country road corners with ease if i tried to keep up i was ending up on the other side of the road from so much bodyroll it felt like i was driving jelly i had to let off 

I had coilovers fitted and a full geometry set up and now its perfect and so precise through the corners i can even keep the power on round them.

Also my car has got the sh itt est tyres know to man on they came with the car and i wont change them till there ready lol so i wouldnt worry too much about the toyos they will be a massive upgrade on mine and i always have toyo proxies by choice on all my cars

14 hours ago, Piggysniffer said:

What am I looking for here, cracked rubber ? feels like it's the ar-se end floating around tbh

doesnt sound like the top mount bearings then - but yes a crack in the rubber - excessive lateral movement of the strut - had one a few years back caused toe out of front alignment went through a brand new pirelli to the canvas in 400 miles

So been lookin at a pedders easy fit kit, do they they do a kit for my wagon, it seems that fitting v groove directional tyres will highlight any suspension or geometry problems you have going on, and my car was feeling randomly flaky before I changed the tyres

on a side note, the wife did say to me last night,  why is everything you do a rigmarole, but she pronounced it ... marigamarole lol

• Like 2

Inner and outer tie rods might be worth a check ,although when there worn you do tend to get the symptoms in all conditions (straight line and cornering too)

Did the old tyres have any tell tale wear to show a alignment issue ? .

If so 4wd geo check might be a cheaper way to tell what's wrong before chucking cash at it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ok, so now at bout 350 miles, tyres started to settle down from about 250 miles, much less movement and more grip the more I drove it, I presume there is more to come, but as they are now, they are as grippy as hell, noticeably better than the potenza and michelins they replaced and a pretty decent drive, have purchased a set of bc br coilovers, so will get them fitted and a full geo set up, already got the 24r 22f arb's fitted and updated droplinks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tidgy said:

Depends if you wanna loose your sump or not ;)

Tein are good, just make sure you get the right spring rates etc dont want them too hard?

Lol just no wheel gap for me would do. Like 45mm probably front drop. I just don't think 35mm is going to be enough for my liking...honestly don't know what to do. Maybe just get some springs and then if it's not good enough, sell second hand and go for coilovers?

Aye I know. I've read some bad reviews of the Tein's which make me hesitant to get them.

3 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Lol just no wheel gap for me would do. Like 45mm probably front drop. I just don't think 35mm is going to be enough for my liking...honestly don't know what to do. Maybe just get some springs and then if it's not good enough, sell second hand and go for coilovers?

Aye I know. I've read some bad reviews of the Tein's which make me hesitant to get them.

Bad reviews of teins tend to be about them being too hard from what i saw, need to make sure you buy for the right application.

Lower you go the more back breaking hard they will be

2 hours ago, Tidgy said:

Bad reviews of teins tend to be about them being too hard from what i saw, need to make sure you buy for the right application.

Lower you go the more back breaking hard they will be

Makes sense. Application is Street with maybe the very rare track day, even then it's going to depend. Just got a email about a possible job opening at a company literally around the corner from me so would save loads on fuel every month!

Tbh, if you read enough, all makes of coilover are rubbish unless you pay 2 grand, it's the same ole thing, people say bc are great, people say they are rubbish, same with tein, and tbh, same with toyo tyres, induction kits, blow off valves etc etc etc..... @Tidgy,  pedders emailed me, they've just finished the wagon specific kit, just not up on their site yet

• Like 2