Subaru Newbie Turbo 2000

Ash007ks

ended up importing them mate, as the package was just shy of a grand with the ARP bolts, i paid £610 including Vat and import tax for the full lot :)

ive given martin the go ahead to replace everything in the engine as its pointless coming the far for something silly to go :) just want her back on the road now :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

WEEEEEEELLLL Progress is to be had atlast :)

with the parts ordered it was time to let operation Frankenstein begin, ( Due to having heads off a P1 and closed deck block from a Type Ra etcetc)

The block had been sent off for boring and honing to get rid of the nasties from the damage from the previous owner (fitting two of the wrong pistons), all the parts had been cleaned as well, part of the original heads where found inside the sump where the heads had been fitted with the wrong bolts.

Friday 11th, pistons crank and casings back together all in around 4 hrs of work. as well as some other bits and bobs to the car, someone also had original Alcantara red  STI interior (Full) i offered him some cash and he accepted so that has been fitted as well :) Winning.

Saturday 12th 0845-1330

All the engine is now back together with the P1 heads and aggressive cams fitted, the old cambelt tensioner was a total write off again due to a bigger bolt been fitted, Martin came up trumps due to modifiying one from a new age scooby, and as such a new cambelt was timed up and fitted.

Just waiting on the Td05 getting welded up and the flywheel skimmed ready for the new clutch. ive stuck with the TD05 for now otherwise ill kill the gearbox and tbh i just want to enjoy it for a bit.

once the run in period is done an Alcatek Ecu with Anti Lag and Launch control will be fitted, this will also enable me to run Maf less for when i eventually go for more power.

Cannot thank Martin enough for the last couple of days and i cannot wait to get the car back on the road.

lots of tea and coffee where harmed during the making of the engine.

here we go with the pics.

DSC_00011.jpg

DSC_00021.jpg

DSC_00031.jpg

DSC_00041.jpg

DSC_00061.jpg

DSC_00071.jpg

DSC_00081.jpg

DSC_00091.jpg

DAT FACE THOUGH

• Like 1

I cannot wait however i still have the gruelling 1k miles to endure with no boost first :/ , Its rekindled my love for the scoob put it that way, you still coming Monday Nick ?

Yea that 1000 miles is going to be tough! You'll just have to drive it as much as possible to rack up those miles ASAP before summer weather disappears again.

Yep, should be all good for Monday still mate. Not having to work too late on my current job so should easily be back in time :)

thank you as always guys :) a few other bits and bobs to sort first, but just looking forward to the crap miles and hearing the piston slap of the forged engine on start up

• 2 weeks later...

So now is the long and winded right up haha. For those that dont like to read alot feel free just to look at the pictures.

So Tuesday the engine was all fully rebuilt after waiting on the inlet silicone hose, this was due to my old one deciding to split, as such this ment that it was pretty much pointless putting the engine in the car and the inlet hoses are a ball ache of a job at the best of time, Its the big blue hose under the Red inlet incase your wondering.

Once this was in place it was decided that while the engine was out that we put in some NGK Platinum's, after that the new turbo was bolted up. The whole car has had new Subaru Gaskets and a 1MM Steel Head gasket put on.

Once the turbo was all bolted up it was time to bolt the new Exedy Clutch and skimmed flywheel to the engine ready for fitment to the car, and then the big moment of truth, after some jiggling she finally sat right in the engine bay. All the Ancillaries where hooked up and it was decided that till remap day the old turbo 2000 Intercooler would suffice.

Oil pressure and Temp senders where plugged back in and then it was time. The moment i had waited 7 months for...... the first fire up. The fuel pump fuse was taken out and the car was primed, this is to allow the oil to get around the whole car and into the turbo, stops it burning out on fire up.

No running oil has been used however we are bedding the car in on 10w 40 semi, this will be changed at intervals of around 100,500,1000. At a 1000 that is when i'm moving up to millers Fully syn 10w 50.

The fuses where put back into the car and it was turned over, took a while for it to fire up due to the compression that the engine now runs. But it sounded sweet, not as loud as i was expecting at all.

wednesday.

Then disaster, we could see a small water/coolant leak coming from the right hand side , car was lifted and a small coolant elbow was suspected, a replacement was found and it was swapped over. as such it had stopped, a quick test ride around the block ( i say quick but i cant go above 2.5k) and it drove mint, was idling in martins garage while we was checking pressures and temps etc, an error code had popped up, during the build we realized the engineers had damaged my Knock sensor, however it was still in one piece, it appeared the knock sensor was faulty, as every so often it chucks up the code when going over a bump in the road. (new one has been ordered). the coolant still appeared to be leaking from the same spot and as such it was decided the car wasnt safe to bring home.

Thursday

New Scooby Worx Fuel pump fitted, Make sure you clip them in right or you will be scratching your head as to why it will only fire occasionally :) like i was haha.

the car was lifted in the air again and we could see the water was now running down the sump (Suspect water pump) Shock the only thing that we didnt replace as it looked fine as well. cambelt was removed and the water pump as well, there is a tiny seal near the impellor, Very rare that it goes but this time it had totally perished and was just !Removed! water out. A new one was ordered and Martin did a cambelt time up and Water pump swap in under an hour man on a mission :) again car was fired up and Thankfully the leak had gone :)

Friday

Car was double checked and showed no signs of leaking so i was given the green light, My wallet was made lighter and it was off to the petrol station, I couldnt go above 2.5k rpms as i needed to bed the engine in and any higher would cause the turbo to spool which would make the car run lean (very Bad) as such i decided to go out to derby shire to do the country lanes and roads as these have minimal traffic and have up hill and down hill sections which would allow me to utilize engine breaking, this beds the rings in better and gives a better performing engine further down the line. booked it in for Monday for the oil change so i had to do a minimum of 100 miles in 3 days :) Challenge accepted.

I ended up just driving for ages really going through castleton and loads of other out of the way villages, until i came to Buxton this is where i decided id gone far enough out and as such decided to come back on some A roads and then to park up and get some pictures at Ringinglow. 180 miles on it so far and it has used no oil at all )

Pressure are a steady 3 bar at idle and 85c for oil while driving. i did have a scare as the oil temp ended up at over a 110 but found my sensor wire had crept onto the turbo and was burning through :) DOH.

I shall keep you all updated  :) thanks for looking.

• Like 2

Nice work and write up ash , guess you'll be "just popping out " in the scoob to get the running in done asap [emoji12]

Cos running in's a hell of a test on your patience [emoji16]

But must be done properly for all the hard earnt and work to pay off [emoji5]

Yeah need to put on a few miles but it will only get used at the weekends now, as driving it 3 miles to work and 3 miles back , i reckon it wont do it much good.

Still a few bits and bobs to get/ upgrade, a massive under sight was brakes so that is the next priority for now im keeping the same caliper set up but going 295mm discs.

If anyone wants to know the Specs or requires pointing in the direction ive picked up a bit of knowledge researching the right bits.

All i will say savage is i cant wait for remap, the torque the engine put out at the minute is tremendous. it just wants to pull in all gears.

Yes! Finally out and running again. A few teething problems but glad they all appear to be sorted. Bet you're well happy, light at the end of the tunnel and all that :). Just need to be patient a. It longer for the run in, bet you can't wait.

haha tell me about it :) first oil and filter change today, also my new knock sensor arrived just after id fitted a spare, Doh lol but all new and sparkly now.

since fitting the new knock sensor the turbo wants to spool at 2.5 k :( which is bad news as i can hear it wanting to have that bit more haha (but the old gal can wait)

The oil change showed that the engine bedding in process is working. the oil had metallic sheen to it, which shows that that pistons are bedding in well.

Ride out to bake well has put a few more miles on her, 240 so still along way to go. :)

• 3 weeks later...

780 miles now :) counting down till the 18th September when its booked in for the Ecu and Remap.

New exhaust will be fitted this week due to needing 3 inch all the way.

Also as im going to be increasing power by alot, i need something that can stop me , 297mm front discs and 265mm rears drilled and grooved ordered.

Oil changes and filters have shown no oil usage and No nasties in the oil :)

Can an admin move this to the build thread as well :)

Nice to hear it's going well ash and not long now till you have boost back in your life [emoji4]

Shame you've ordered the discs as I'll have 4 pot fronts and single pot rears with drilled and groved discs , kevlar pads and braided lines all round up for sale shortly .