Slight knock under light load

Dogconker

46 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’ve only had the XV for a short time but impressed already with the amount of control as it corners with virtually no body roll, point the car and it delivers.  Interestingly where we have our family lodge in Derbyshire one of the owners has had a series of Range Rovers and now a Jag.  We were there last week and he stopped and asked me about the car and was really taken with the build quality, style and features and the blown away when he asked the price. Generally paying almost double that for his cars he was somewhat surprised and kept commenting on how different it looked to the run of the mill SUV’s. Sorry could not resist adding another photo!😀

75E8EF4C-E7C7-435C-9981-D5E6FAC847D4.jpeg

I’m loathed to get rid of my Diesel XV, 0-60 in 9 sec, handles really well and happily pulls a ton and a half of caravan up a hill.

the only thing I have never liked is Subaru feel the need to stick chrome bits on it, but I soon sorted that out!

6658AD84-AAC0-4CE5-9DFB-C345AE8C848C.jpeg

9B345513-FB2B-41BB-9F73-F3A29759A2CF.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Dogconker said:

I’m loathed to get rid of my Diesel XV, 0-60 in 9 sec, handles really well and happily pulls a ton and a half of caravan up a hill.

the only thing I have never liked is Subaru feel the need to stick chrome bits on it, but I soon sorted that out!

6658AD84-AAC0-4CE5-9DFB-C345AE8C848C.jpeg

9B345513-FB2B-41BB-9F73-F3A29759A2CF.jpeg

I’m not keen on chrome either like you I’d prefer black trims. Whilst there is not a lot of chrome on my model I’d certainly have preferred black roof rails as they have in the US. Not an option here unless I try wrapping them. Nothing is every perfect but to be honest so far this car has ticked so many boxes for us.

16 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’m not keen on chrome either like you I’d prefer black trims. Whilst there is not a lot of chrome on my model I’d certainly have preferred black roof rails as they have in the US. Not an option here unless I try wrapping them. Nothing is every perfect but to be honest so far this car has ticked so many boxes for us.

Plastidip!!

perfect finish, it isn’t permanent, it just peals off if you don’t like it, you can even do it with the parts on the car.

https://youtu.be/u8Gfd46AxLw

I Don't like fake Carbon , but I like chrome even less.

I decided to give wrapping the grill a go. It wasn't the easiest, as the grille bends and twists in every direction just to keep you on your toes. 
I think it looks pretty good, hopefully it lasts a bit longer than the plastidip did. (Halfords own brand). One day maybe when I'm feeling flush i'll get a black sports grille from America/Japan and be done with all the painting/wrapping!

The tiger claw scratches are the reflection of a fence, don't worry! 

IMG_20180513_185804.thumb.jpg.1e85c0bcf339beefd442d5b93f85e487.jpgIMG_20180514_123705.thumb.jpg.25cc1cfaf3f22105f0432a0d37f1de1b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Swayze88 said:

I Don't like fake Carbon , but I like chrome even less.

I decided to give wrapping the grill a go. It wasn't the easiest, as the grille bends and twists in every direction just to keep you on your toes. 
I think it looks pretty good, hopefully it lasts a bit longer than the plastidip did. (Halfords own brand). One day maybe when I'm feeling flush i'll get a black sports grille from America/Japan and be done with all the painting/wrapping!

The tiger claw scratches are the reflection of a fence, don't worry! 

IMG_20180513_185804.thumb.jpg.1e85c0bcf339beefd442d5b93f85e487.jpgIMG_20180514_123705.thumb.jpg.25cc1cfaf3f22105f0432a0d37f1de1b.jpg

I think the fake carbon looks pretty good to me, my car has this look to some extent already, thanks.

Took me about an hour or so to do mine, most of the time was waiting for the previous coat to dry. There’s hardly any masking to be done other than the masking the grille to stop it hitting the radiator.

So subaru are saying that they’ve only replaced 1 injector in the last few years so it’s extremely unlikely that it is an injector failure, becausexof the video I took they agree however there is a knock so They have instructed the dealer to carry out a full install and relearn on both the injectors and the fuel pump, subaru susoect it could be the software that manages the fuel pump.

I get the car back tomorrow so hopefully I’ll find out.

1 hour ago, Dogconker said:

So subaru are saying that they’ve only replaced 1 injector in the last few years so it’s extremely unlikely that it is an injector failure, becausexof the video I took they agree however there is a knock so They have instructed the dealer to carry out a full install and relearn on both the injectors and the fuel pump, subaru susoect it could be the software that manages the fuel pump.

Good to know that they are dealing with it. Interesting to hear they have only replaced one injector. Good news for us as I can't imagine they are cheap or easy to do. Just because they have only had to replace one doesn't mean that you won't be the second! They hadn't don't any wiring looms till I took mine in 😁

Good luck tomorrow, hope all is fixed.

2 hours ago, Dogconker said:

Sounds like good news, let’s hope it’s “fixed” the issue, it should be easy enough for the dealer to check except it will not be cold. 🤞

2 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

Good to know that they are dealing with it. Interesting to hear they have only replaced one injector. Good news for us as I can't imagine they are cheap or easy to do. Just because they have only had to replace one doesn't mean that you won't be the second! They hadn't don't any wiring looms till I took mine in 😁

Good luck tomorrow, hope all is fixed.

Yeah, they pretty much never fail, I had an injector relearn in October but that didn’t fix it, they think its the fuel pump as apparently that has AI too?

2 hours ago, Dogconker said:

Yeah, they pretty much never fail, I had an injector relearn in October but that didn’t fix it, they think its the fuel pump as apparently that has AI too?

Doesn’t everything nowadays!

• 2 weeks later...

Well after towing a caravan to Somerset for the weekend and after having had my car “fixed” by doing an injector re-learn the car is still knocking from time to time and as if not bad enough within 20mins of picking the car up the aircon packed up and would only blow air at ambient temp, odd thing is if you turn off the engine wait 10 seconds and start it again the aircon works fine for a bit then it shuts off again so clearly a software issue or something. Funny it should start doing this just after the dealer has done a load of software re-installs.

looks like she’s going back again

Sorry you’ve still got the issues with the knocking under load, these problems can be difficult to sort.

The air con could be the system freezing, effectively not being controlled as you’ve suggested a software issue maybe?

On 5/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, ernieb said:

Sorry you’ve still got the issues with the knocking under load, these problems can be difficult to sort.

The air con could be the system freezing, effectively not being controlled as you’ve suggested a software issue maybe?

Spoke to the dealership, they think it’s low on gas, it can’t be because it runs fine if you set temp to 15.5deg but if you set it to low it periodically trips out, you can here the vents change. Usually when I put it in reverse, which is just odd.

its definitely an injector issue though as it’s much better than it was before they did the relearns on the fuel pump and injectors, but it knocked like mad as I pulled into Gloucester Services with caravan in tow, after tgat it was fine again.

"but it knocked like mad as I pulled into Gloucester Services with caravan in tow, after tgat it was fine again."

did they actually replace any if the injectors?

or did they just do a re-set of the ecu. 

I do hope your not put off taking the van for more adventures, and AC is very helpful when it works; even in winter to defrost faster.

hopefully they will top you up at cost non profit..

I'm going to take my van deep  into the woods soon, so the motor mover will be getting a good work out to save the clutch.

on my legacy I had duel range gears which really helped with slow manoeuvres, the XV first gear needs to much speed for this, thus the mover which is very slow but has awesome torque is very useful.

so what's the next destination, Scotland ?

6 hours ago, Aberdeen Chris said:

"but it knocked like mad as I pulled into Gloucester Services with caravan in tow, after tgat it was fine again."

did they actually replace any if the injectors?

or did they just do a re-set of the ecu. 

I do hope your not put off taking the van for more adventures, and AC is very helpful when it works; even in winter to defrost faster.

hopefully they will top you up at cost non profit..

I'm going to take my van deep  into the woods soon, so the motor mover will be getting a good work out to save the clutch.

on my legacy I had duel range gears which really helped with slow manoeuvres, the XV first gear needs to much speed for this, thus the mover which is very slow but has awesome torque is very useful.

so what's the next destination, Scotland ?

No they didn’t replace any injectors even though it was reading that two were running high and one was way off, Subaru UK said it was extremely rare for injector failure. They say they only replaced one diesel injector the whole of last year, (which sounds unlikely) so to have 3 fail on one car has raised a lot of red flags in Subaru Technical. They hve only done a software reset on the fuel pump and injectors, which don’t get me wrong has greatly improved it but its not right still.

I reverse my caravan onto the pitches generally because I cn do it in one go no I’m getting cocky, plus we use flat pitches which helps.we have motor mover for the fiddly ones or slopey ones.

I’m still taking the van out don’t worry, I have Greenflag Mayday cover so I’ll just push on. We’re not getting as far as you this time, only Keswick this time.