Need advise on 64 wrx sti.

N1ckhe4d

I have the opportunity to buy a 64 plate wrx sti with 14k miles and standard. 

Now I've been reading a lot of reviews and they are far from the favourite when it comes to the rivals like the golf R and the evo X. But I went for a test drive and personally I think the review sights are nit picking about the interior and comfort. I thought it was incredible and fell in love with it right away. But, I don't have anything to compare it to. I've never owned a car that new. 

So I just want to here some opinions from owners of the same model. 

Thanks. 

hi nick 

i suppose to start with it all depends on what sort of price 

the car as standard is a league above the rest 

interior is comfy decent for long drives 

seats hug where theyre supposed to but also not to restricted that you feel you cant drive as a sunday driver 

the car setup from factory great chassis,not so bad brakes dunlops are decent 

you will notice a vaste differnce from a bugeye to the 2014- model 

@Demonmack It's 20k. Now Ive spoke to a few people claiming that it will hold its price. Is this true? I probably do about 4k maybe even less miles a year. 

Is there any reason atall why I shouldn't buy this car? So far I'm struggling to find one. 

hi 

only person that can fully make that decission is you 

as with every variable asset it will depriciate but should generally hold if mileage stays low as theyre now not making anymore uk wise anyways, that saying it depends on what you want to do with car.treat the car right regular services dont skimp on cost and it will treat you right.

they are decent to drive reasonable power  but always room for upgrading ;) 

for around an extra 6-8 grand you can pick up a 17 plate with 3000 miles on clock and thats got the newer infotainment unit 

@Demonmack

Saving that much extra is out of the question really. 20k is a lot of money for me. But affordable. 

I've never really been fussed about infotainment. As long as the speakers are good and Bluetooth for Spotify premium I'm happy. So what are you opinions on the sound quality? 

@Demonmack I used to. But I'm 35 now 😊

I'll settle for just clear sound. I'm not bothered about outsiders hearing that I'm listenening to wu tang clan. (then realising I'm probably confused and having a crisis 😂) 

Do they have any little niggles and faults that they all have that are going to **** me off? 

Hi. 😁

I own an sti on a '14 plate, here's my total biased opinion. 

You've made a great choice in cars, I'm on my 3rd Scooby in 10 years and couldn't imagine driving anything else.

The opinions and review below are mine and as such should be treated with caution!  😊

Mine's a daily driver and our main car. Does 25 miles a day for work and has made a couple of road trips, Skye, Cornwall, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany.

Never missed a beat and drove flawlessly.

The Scoobys I've owned have been bullet proof, so far.

Maintenance:

Servicing, I tend to go 10k or 12 months.
Check oil, water, brake wear, every 3 months.
Wash off sap, bird crap, salt whenever spotted, clean when I can be bothered.

Just serviced (Interim) with 4 wheel laser alignment and MOT, £180.

Driving modes:

Granny, (intelligent) good for rear passengers, very linear response and good round town.

Sport, (sport) my choice when I'm on my own or just with the wife. Excellent response, great acceleration, just on the bridge between exciting and scary.

Sport#, (trigger) what were they thinking, I would imagine it's awesome round a track, but almost unmanageable on the roads.

Handling:

Nothing to say other than, wow!
Goes where you want, when you want.
Steering's sharp and firm, still semi hydraulic I think.
Gearing's a little short and there's some turbo lag, so you have to work the box and be on the ball all the time.
You do have to be engaged with the car, it's not your sofa or an Audi.
If you are willing to work a little, and enjoy driving, it's performance is immense.
The car feels solid and incredibly stable, even an 145mph in the rain.

Diff:
(stock setting is roughly 40/60)

I don't mess with the manual settings, not my cup of tea.
Auto+ in the rain and snow, shifts the bias towards 50/50
Auto- when the temps over 20°, about 2 days a year.  😉

Running:

Only ever used V Power, even when I'm Europe, it's worth the extra cost and the time to plan your route.
I've averaged 27mpg over 10k, work runs every day, weekends away and the odd Autobahn.
Servicing is reasonable, considering the performance car you now own.  😊

General:

The ride is very firm but comfortable.
Don't be tempted to soften the tyres, it weighs over 1500kg and will scrub them badly, even though it'll still handle like a dream. 
I run at 33psi front and 28psi rear.

Had 14 months warranty left when I bought her, but wasn't worried about any problems.

Just changed from Dunlop sport maxx xl, they've had a rough 12 months, really rough.  😁 
And there's no way they were gonna make my mot.
Fitted Michelin Crossclimate+ really good reviews and vids. I'll update when run in.

This model is really hard to get the Scooby burble out of, I went stainless axle back and full muffler delete. Sounds great.  😁

Fairly sure the current sti still uses the 2.5 EJ25 with uelh.
The new wrx uses the 2.0 FA20 with elh.

Could be wrong, I'm told I often am.  🙄

I've definitely got burble.  😁

Cosmetics:

Direnza hubcentric wheel spacers, 15mm all round.

De badged the back, tinted rear indicators, black side badges

Upgraded:

Battery, Bosch S5

Panel air filter, Pipercross Pro R

Head unit, Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB with sat nav.

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions.

Pixyflash.  😁

SOC1.thumb.jpg.1e555179615cf2d1211a67900fb5bcbe.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with your statement 

the only thing is the si drive is only restricted throttle response not power 

s# is 100% response 

s is like 90% or some crap

and i is like 80% or some crap 

no restriction in power 

@Pixyflash@Demonmack

Thanks for the time and advise. So what I'm gathering is there still isn't any bad points about this car. And no reason not to buy it. I have to pretty much decide either today or tomorrow but I think I know which way I'm heading. 

The story behind it is a guy who lives near me got killed by a bull a couple of months ago who was a subaru fanatic and rally fan like me. So I organised a 25+ impreza convoy to follow the hearse to the crematorium. The subaru garage close to me are selling his car for the family so I have a link to that car. To say it was a funeral it was an amazing day and his family were overwhelmed from how many people I'd rounded up who didn't even know him. 

• 2 weeks later...

2015 model picked up with only 2800 miles in march this year ( scoured the country for the best) any one else had problems with TPMS and tyres losing pressure, and Damn what is the boot carpet/liner made out of !! ripped and studs broken why ?

This is my fourth Subaru having owned Classic, blob eye, bug eye and current in STI forms. I cannot fault these cars, full 5 seats , 4 wd, four doors and a big boot , I cant think of another all rounder that ticks all the boxes this side of GTR !

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Tyres perfect , check pressures every few days with a top of the range gauge but its always  n/s front and o/s  rear that are constantly losing pressure. At least 4/5 psi a week. will sort before end of warranty but apart from wheel seating/bead/and porous alloys problems that may cause this issue, any other owners that have problems with retaining pressure.

No problems with mine, all be it I have only done 7500 miles... have you had the alloys checked for damage? If you've been unfortunate enough to hit a pot hole or two the inside of the alloy is normally the first place to get the damage and hence the psi drop... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2017 at 11:13 PM, Pixyflash said:

Hi. 😁

I own an sti on a '14 plate, here's my total biased opinion. 

You've made a great choice in cars, I'm on my 3rd Scooby in 10 years and couldn't imagine driving anything else.

The opinions and review below are mine and as such should be treated with caution!  😊

Mine's a daily driver and our main car. Does 25 miles a day for work and has made a couple of road trips, Skye, Cornwall, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany.

Never missed a beat and drove flawlessly.

The Scoobys I've owned have been bullet proof, so far.

Maintenance:

Servicing, I tend to go 10k or 12 months.
Check oil, water, brake wear, every 3 months.
Wash off sap, bird crap, salt whenever spotted, clean when I can be bothered.

Just serviced (Interim) with 4 wheel laser alignment and MOT, £180.

Driving modes:

Granny, (intelligent) good for rear passengers, very linear response and good round town.

Sport, (sport) my choice when I'm on my own or just with the wife. Excellent response, great acceleration, just on the bridge between exciting and scary.

Sport#, (trigger) what were they thinking, I would imagine it's awesome round a track, but almost unmanageable on the roads.

Handling:

Nothing to say other than, wow!
Goes where you want, when you want.
Steering's sharp and firm, still semi hydraulic I think.
Gearing's a little short and there's some turbo lag, so you have to work the box and be on the ball all the time.
You do have to be engaged with the car, it's not your sofa or an Audi.
If you are willing to work a little, and enjoy driving, it's performance is immense.
The car feels solid and incredibly stable, even an 145mph in the rain.

Diff:
(stock setting is roughly 40/60)

I don't mess with the manual settings, not my cup of tea.
Auto+ in the rain and snow, shifts the bias towards 50/50
Auto- when the temps over 20°, about 2 days a year.  😉

Running:

Only ever used V Power, even when I'm Europe, it's worth the extra cost and the time to plan your route.
I've averaged 27mpg over 10k, work runs every day, weekends away and the odd Autobahn.
Servicing is reasonable, considering the performance car you now own.  😊

General:

The ride is very firm but comfortable.
Don't be tempted to soften the tyres, it weighs over 1500kg and will scrub them badly, even though it'll still handle like a dream. 
I run at 33psi front and 28psi rear.

Had 14 months warranty left when I bought her, but wasn't worried about any problems.

Just changed from Dunlop sport maxx xl, they've had a rough 12 months, really rough.  😁 
And there's no way they were gonna make my mot.
Fitted Michelin Crossclimate+ really good reviews and vids. I'll update when run in.

This model is really hard to get the Scooby burble out of, I went stainless axle back and full muffler delete. Sounds great.  😁

Fairly sure the current sti still uses the 2.5 EJ25 with uelh.
The new wrx uses the 2.0 FA20 with elh.

Could be wrong, I'm told I often am.  🙄

I've definitely got burble.  😁

Cosmetics:

Direnza hubcentric wheel spacers, 15mm all round.

De badged the back, tinted rear indicators, black side badges

Upgraded:

Battery, Bosch S5

Panel air filter, Pipercross Pro R

Head unit, Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB with sat nav.

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions.

Pixyflash.  😁

SOC1.thumb.jpg.1e555179615cf2d1211a67900fb5bcbe.jpg

The head unit you are using with sat nav etc, was it expensive or difficult to fit. would like a more user friendly infotainment system in my MY 2015 STI. Was any damage done to the dash board ?