Hi everyone, I’m brand new 😊

Bikerdaz

hello to you all. I’m Daz from pontefract. I’m 41 with 2 boys. 1 is 17 and the other is 5 Christmas Day.  Im a biker and own for very powerful bikes. One been a zzr 1400. For a long now I’ve always love the sound and looks of a Subaru wrx/sti. But alway been frightened to buy one because of all the tails I’ve herd about them. But after 20 years plus years I’ve build up my currage and started looking to buy one. This was back in 2016. It must have look at 20 in my price range at 6k. They all was very poor. I then notice they started to go up in value ( charming) so I gave up and bought another bike. Last week I noticed a wrx 04 with 130k miles. With 4 owners and good history for sale at 4K. I drove it and and give it a good look over. In the end I bought it for £3500. I’ve got invoices to prove the bottom end has been fully rebuilt 900 miles ago inc new crank, pistons and rings. Belts pulleys, plugs and much more. On the invoice it say the car must be returned at 900 miles for second oil change or your warranty will be void. But the car as gone over by 200 miles. The car starts and runs lovey. No smoke or over heat. I would be very grateful if you guys guls could help me. If I put my foot down and make the turbo come in a few time. I here I fan kick in for 2-6 seconds under the passenger side dash. My engine temp is well in the normal range, could you plz tell me what the fan sound could be. I think it’s a turbo cooling of some sort, it never kicks in unles I ride it fast for a few mins. Is this normal !! plz say yes lol. Second thing. Ike I said earlier the car drives lovey, until at speed and hard braking. The steering wheel shakes like hell and the car feels unstable. Could this be a warp disc. Is it a common thing. ??  Lastly the car is totally standard and never been messed with appart from the new bottom end. I’m not sure on bhp, but I’m a little disappointed on power. Ok when you put your foot down she goes but from listening to folk that own them I got high hopes. I feel it takes ages for turbo to kick in. Is it true if i de cat it put a better filter on and get it mapped it will put another 100 bhp. I know mine is only a wrx and not sti, but for 225 bhp I thought it would preform better. Ok If I boot it from setting off up the gears it’s not bad but if I put my foot down let’s say in 4th at 50mph it’s flat and takes a good 5 seconds or more before turbo kicks in and away she goes. My wife’s golf diesel 20l gt. will nail my Subaru to 120mph. I just hope I haven’t bought a bad one and with a few mods it will sort the lag etc. I would be very grateful for any advice of you guys and help put my mind at ease. Thank you. 

DC2C9B9B-4F2C-4B38-B9D4-10C775A372CA.jpeg

F5AB734B-68DE-4984-9B10-4F7E7796C725.jpeg

Hi great looking car. I can help you with the fan sounds, not something I’ve come across before. I own a wrx and I’ve remapped mine with just a prodrive back box and cosworth air filter and prodrive intercooler hoses and im to 285bhp. It’s made a massive difference. Yes the turbo lag is a pain, but when you get used to it...... on the wrx the turbo kicks in at around 3500rpm and I believe the sti is close 4000rpm. The secret, keep it above 3500rpm and if you not change down. These car can take quite a bit of abuse and going to 6k isn’t a problem :-).

• Thanks 1

Id eco spidey and say that a td04 turbo should hit full boost by 3.5k , so it will probably feel a bit tame under 2.8k .

Noise could be quite a few things but id start by checking for boost leaks (especially if you feel its down on power) or the secondary air pump could be at fault but if so it's usually accompanied by a fault code on ecu .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys. It’s defo a fan that’s kicking in after heavy use with the turbo. Now you have told me it doesn’t kick in until 3500 rpm then I think the car is fine. I’ve just been out and try it again this time 1 gear down and it was off like a rocket. I been used to driving diesel cars, and that’s the problem. As you know a diesel is all toque and lowdown power but runs out quick. The the Subaru has a much more Rev range. If you get what I mean.  

Glad you’ve found the power. It took me a minute to get used to it to. Was always changing gear at about 3500rpm before I got the scooby. But I must say scooby a more B road rocket as opposed to motorway munchers. In other words they will go fast in a straight line, but I feel they start to lose it after 90-100mph. B road in 2nd and 3rd is great fun. Just don’t look at the fuel gauge lol. Remember smiles per gallon not miles per gallon lol

• Haha 1