Blobeye front ā€˜uā€™ subframe

AndyF12807

Hello again,

i have just been poking around in the front of the WRX and found a lovely 2 pound coin size corrosion hole in my front subframe šŸ™„Ā 

the MOT is coming up in May, is it worth getting the thing replaced for it? If so, how is it done, is it a garage job or easy enough for a driveway mechanic?

anyone know where I could get one too??

thanks

Andy

they're prone to corrosion and fairly easy to remove , you'd probably be better off trying to source a clean 2nd hand one .

I'm sure i read that it will pass a mot if it's missing but will fail if it's corroded. Not that I'd want to drive it all the time without one fitted but if you cant source one in time for the mot you might get away with removing it until you find 1

6 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

they're prone to corrosion and fairly easy to remove , you'd probably be better off trying to source a clean 2nd hand one .

I'm sure i read that it will pass a mot if it's missing but will fail if it's corroded. Not that I'd want to drive it all the time without one fitted but if you cant source one in time for the mot you might get away with removing it until you find 1

Righto, thatā€™s not too bad then. I guess with the help of a friends garage lift it should be easy-ish??Ā 

I have found some used/refurbished ones on fleebay for a couple hundred, might be worth looking into.Ā 

Is there any how to guides on the replacement?

thanks

For the MOT you dont need this frame as it aint weight bearing, i didnt know this till my mate told me who is in the same boat as you regarding corrosion.Ā 

As for changing its straight forward. I had to remove mine to for some front ARB bushes. They are torqued right down so a good ratchet is needed with a breaker bar. Just a case of unsrewing the bolts to remove then replace. Save yourself some money mate and do it yourself. Very simple.Ā 

1 hour ago, Marshffs said:

For the MOT you dont need this frame as it aint weight bearing, i didnt know this till my mate told me who is in the same boat as you regarding corrosion.Ā 

As for changing its straight forward. I had to remove mine to for some front ARB bushes. They are torqued right down so a good ratchet is needed with a breaker bar. Just a case of unsrewing the bolts to remove then replace. Save yourself some money mate and do it yourself. Very simple.Ā 

Cheers mate, really appreciate the help. Iā€™ll give it a bash next time Iā€™ve got some time off šŸ‘šŸ»

Iā€™ve been digging about, and what I thought was the front subframe is actually the ā€˜lower radiator support bracketā€™ which is completely rusted out.Ā 

Ive been quoted Ā£90 for a replacement which i guess isnā€™t too bad, but it needs welded in.Ā 

Has anyone done this before??