V7 wrx sti type uk engine refresh

savage bulldogs

The 50 mile change sounds like it gets rid of the machining burrs, similar to the heat cycling method . you didn't have any standard or actuated  boost until after 1k either alex  ? 

I definitely agree the loads need to gradually increase,  whether using boost or not . As that's the way most na engines are run in anyways .

Nice too see other methods used but as tidgy says "if its not broke don't fix it"

Although my other thread is more of a .... " if it's not broke take it apart and either clean it or upgrade it "🙄😂🤣 

6 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

The 50 mile change sounds like it gets rid of the machining burrs, similar to the heat cycling method . you didn't have any standard or actuated  boost until after 1k either alex  ? 

I definitely agree the loads need to gradually increase,  whether using boost or not . As that's the way most na engines are run in anyways .

Nice too see other methods used but as tidgy says "if its not broke don't fix it"

Although my other thread is more of a .... " if it's not broke take it apart and either clean it or upgrade it "🙄😂🤣 

Thays the other one, 'if its not broke, upgrade it' hahaha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the running in is complete at last😎

So out with the old millers running in oil and filter in with the millers cfcs and mahle filter 😊

Although its sounding sweet and running well ,I'll  Hopefully get it up to attowes for a dyno health check soon 😉

20180811_104826.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well we took the bug on a family holiday and pleased to say with 4 up and a boot full of stuff ,the trip from Suffolk to Wales was a pleasure and it's now done nearly 1.5k miles since the rebuild  😎

It's been eating up the welsh b roads with ease and credit to the bob rawle map, for the nice balance of power and economy . Weather's been mostly dry but what little rain we had over night bounced off the bug ,anyways 😂

Lovely view from the master bedroom of the cottage we've rented too 😊

20180821_074510.jpg

20180818_145233.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well not been much point updating this thread as i haven't done anything other than drive it ( 2k and counting)  😊

Decided not to put the bug sti up for sale until spring /summer next year , so its left me with a tough choice every day, .......

which scoob to drive 🤔

But Today it's been the bug 😉

20180909_162325.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Feel a bit sorry for the bug , as all I've done is clean it and drive it , although I did toy with the idea of putting a bigger turbo on it to get the most from it's capable engine 🤔

I had promised the wife that I wouldn't mod the bug 🙄 .

Although I really do like the v7sti, I have definitely decided that once the v1sti is out from it's hibernation, that the bug will be going up for sale in the summer 😏

I just can't justify running 2 scoobs and the caddy maxi,  plus it's far to nice a car to be a winter run around and I do have the v1sti too .

It's nearly done 80k now ,3 previous owners ,jdm clocks/grill and hid's, b.cs, £1k speedlines , full rebuild , timing belt kit ,new clutch , gauges, 3 port b.s , rcm flywheel and pulleys.

I'm in no hurry to sell it and I'll put a for sale thread up closer to the time but if anyone spots this that is after a v7sti type UK , feel free to pm me.

20190209_160616.jpg

20190209_160632.jpg

42 minutes ago, Sandals said:

If I wasn't planning on doing an extension to my house I would be all over that bug!

Build a garage instead of a extension it's much cheaper 😉

then tell the Mrs that you've spent £6.8k  of the money you saved on a bug sti to put in it 😋

23 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Build a garage instead of a extension it's much cheaper 😉

then tell the Mrs that you've spent £6.8k  of the money you saved on a bug sti to put in it 😋

*buys many lottery tickets*

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated this thread for a while , so here goes .

When I bought the bug it had a dent in the driver's side rear door and I'd been looking locally to find one for ages, finally a local breakers had a blob in for breaking in the same colour .

So £30 from "Suffolk jdm solutions" door and a swap over of the door loom and it's sorted 😎.

Although its running sweet and hasn't used any fluids in 3k miles it's done since the rebuild,  I finally found the time to take it to Clive attowes for a dyno health check.  First pull showed the afr to be a bit out and it only made 280hp 226flbs 🤔 which is strange for a mapped sti ....

Attowe isn't just a good mapper, he knows his diagnostic stuff too , so started off with a smoke test ,to make sure no intake air or boost was leaking , all good .

Then cleaned the maf , which improved afr 😎

Followed by starting to find out why it wasn't making "mapped boost targets " , finally found that 1 of the pins in the aftermarket boost solenoid lead plug hadn't been crimped properly from the factory....  and 1.5 bar 😊

He commented on how quiet the engine was on boost through the det cans and whilst idling too 😊

The afr is still slightly out but seeing as cleaning the maf had helped ,he suggested to buy another genuine maf and change the fuel filter .

I left with 311hp and 278flbs which has made a massive difference to how it drives 😎

So few pics of the bug and the parts from icp and another trip to attowes when I can find the time 😉

The "daily " is starting to grow on me now with it's dentless door and new lease of power 😊

20190602_155913.jpg

20190611_164446.jpg

20190603_091911.jpg

20190602_155936.jpg

20190602_160033.jpg

20190601_193637.jpg