Sign in to follow this  
Macgomes

Hello everyone,, I'm new to this forum.....

Hello everyone,,

Hobby mechanic of some years. Looking for tips and tricks on my latest project 2010 WRX STI. West/Central Scotland. Looking to take on the clutch, timing belt and noisey steering issue over the winter. Parts advice to start with would be a great help. Any links to part numbers etc. I have factory service and repair manual if anyone need bits of it. 

Hi n welcome,  I'm not too clued up on the newer spec but I'd certainly recommend engine out for clutch and timing belt . As it will make access a lot easier especially if you don't have use of a ramp , due to the 6 speed box being so heavy (nearly 70 kg) .

Parts wise ,only use Subaru oe gaskets as the cheaper ones dont last and you'll end up doing the job twice . Most of us use import car parts , Luke knows his scoobies and they supply oe Subaru stuff at less than main stealer prices. 

If you do decide to pull the motor ,I'd suggest replacing front and rear crank seals (easy to do while timing belt and clutch is off) .Also drivers side cam cover gaskets with half moons ,as these tend to go brittle due to the heat cycles from the up pipe and turbo (much easier to do with the engine out) .

Clutch wise does depend on usage and future power goals but standard exedy blue box is good for mid 300 hp /flbs and exedy pink box is good for mid 400's , both give oe pedal feel .

Check the flywheel face for cracks or grooves,  you can get them skimmed if needs be or upgrade to a lightweight aftermarket one .

All the best with the TLC and feel free to start a build thread or post some pics of your progress 👍

On 5/18/2019 at 4:16 PM, Macgomes said:

Hello everyone,,

Hobby mechanic of some years. Looking for tips and tricks on my latest project 2010 WRX STI. West/Central Scotland. Looking to take on the clutch, timing belt and noisey steering issue over mobdro lucky patcher kodi the winter. Parts advice to start with would be a great help. Any links to part numbers etc. I have factory service and repair manual if anyone need bits of it. 

Thank you my issue has been solved,....

Wotcha and welcome - as above keep a camera handy and lets us know your progress