Forester All Weather Tyres - Recommendations?

Spencer

Hi all, just wondering if anyone tried Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady yet. I am planning to make a trip to Europe around this Christmas and done a lots of research online. I know the best for winter is winter tyres but don’t want to buy them just for the sake of 2 weeks and these looks like really good alternative as I can drive them all year around but performing good in moderate snow condition. 

Yeh they mainly US market .

I would look at Nokian I linked or Michelin crossclimate +

Myself and few customers run the Nokians and they are a proper quality all weather tyre,

Plenty other choices but nokian weatherproof ratings in wet braking and noise hard beat plus it carrying the 3peak snow test rating yet price is sensible .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for 4 new all weather tyres for my 2010, 2.0 litre petrol model.  

I like the sound of the Nokians linked above but I notice they are "H" rated. I never drive over 90mph and I'm not wanting to waste money on an over-rated tyre.  

Can I legally drive my Forester on "H" rated tyres?  Every tyre-sales web site comes up recommending "V" rated tyres when I input my car's registration no. 

Also: Would the Nokian "Weatherproof" tyre get a decent grip on mud? Hoping to take my car into a woodland to collect fire wood.

V rating is standard manufacturer rating on your model.

Technically no issue using H or even T if selecting a more special winter or off road type tyre that limited on speed ratings or has massive price difference

One thing you will have to do is declare this with your insurer.
I would advise contacting insurer prior to buying just see they got no issues or fees .
(you need some proof from insurers that you declared this either via post or email, phone confirmation it noted on records not always enough if did happen have legal issue in a claim scenario)

I have nokian weatherproof on 2 of my foresters and both see use in farm fields and tracks and do pretty well in sensible mud situations.
They very good balance of what can cope with, anything going have issues in proper muddy situation besides all out mud tyres.
Never been stuck in snow, ice or mud but I do play safe side on the mud side of things .

The Nokian Weatherproofs are pretty fantastic tyre at very reasonable pricing .

Only you know exact conditions you drive in so take your own knowledge and preferences into account ..
Hope you have good and safe winter experience with your Fozzy ...

You can get them off eBay seller with 8% off when buy 4 and got another 20% off until 26th with PLENTIFUL code

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYRE-Nokian-Weatherproof-SUV-215-65-R16-102H-XL-BSW-M-S/123906485221

We buy some tyre sets this way and some general parts off couple parts sellers as prices can be silly cheap .

Personally I wouldn't bother fitting tyre's just for this trip,

When you can get a set of snow chains 

( That fit in minutes )

for under £30, I particularly like this type 

Temporary fitting these to the front wheels,

makesALL the difference

when your draging yourself ( plus heavy caravan ) out of a muddy field

Example:: see here:: https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152558285392

hope you get some proper nasty weather try them out .

I been pretty impressed and they fairly sensible cost for quality you getting

weatherproof seems a great match to foresters, outbacks and xv's for more rural/mixed use UK users .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Nokian Weatherproofs are a few weeks old now and a great. So much more grip than the Pirelli's that were on it before and which understeered/slid so easily on sharp bends. 

I've not been able to get the Nokians to break traction in the wet yet but I've not gone totally mental. I do like to get a feel for where the limit is on each set of tyres I use.  tread pattern looks like a typical winter tyre, lots of "sipes" ( crinkly slits in treads) to allow standing water to get out of the way.

I went for the "H" rated tyres which are rated at up to 130mph. Since the car's top speed is given as just 114mph, I can't see this being an issue for insurers. The tyres are also rated XL for heavy load, with lots of plies, so I'm guessing pretty robust.

Very happy with them and price from Giga tyres as per above links. Thanks Mr B.

• Like 1

Yeh they use quality aramid cord and quality rubbers .

weatherproof Is a particularly nice tire and complete value for money ...

Is a great tyre for british weather and proper B-road AWD .

I do know some insurers can be awkard on the tyre speed rating not matching factory spec .
H more than suitable but if want belt and braces it always best communicate these details before a claim situation .

I know of more than 1 case where insururers refused pay out due to tyre speed rating not to oem tyre criteria .

Keep enjoying the Fozzy, best wishes ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, Spencer said:

Hi all, just wondering if anyone tried Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady yet. I am planning to make a trip to Europe around this Christmas and done a lots of research online. I know the best for winter is winter tyres but don’t want to buy them just for the sake of 2 weeks and these looks like really good alternative as I can drive them all year around but performing good in moderate snow condition. 

yes Nokian 100% WR D4 

Just a caution to others;

I bought four Nokian Weatherproof, 215/65 R16 H XL, fitted them and then contacted my insurer to notify them of the change.

Insurer ( AXA) are refusing to cover the change to H-rated from OEM V-rated. Be warned and check with insurer before spending cash on new tyres. (wish I'd done that) 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Feedback from the trip, it was amazing. Both the car and the tires performed so good in snow and rain. Especially rain, when going through Germany it was raining and there was only few cars going through with 100m/h, don’t swagger just the fact. Then snow. Very good in fresh snow, no problems at all. The problem was, when the snow lay is up to and above the reg plate is building up as you go through and that’s  making it difficult for the engine. But then I discovered the real use of the dual range. OMG. As we were traveling with a friend and he got CRV when the snow build up at the front of his car and stopped it,  he would revers and go forward through the pile but I would just plough, so much torque. There was a little problem with the black snow where a proper winter tyre would be a better suit but this worked fine.  So far I’ve done 30k miles with the tires and overall they are excellent, very happy.