Scooby-ob

400 bhp, what is needed for 05 sti

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

my question is, what is needed to get my 05 sti to a safe 400 odd BHP?

was in contact with scooby clinic yesterday for a 500 - 600 bhp engine and I was crazy money £20 plus, which I can’t afford.

cheers all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at 500bhp your looking at rebuild so will be pricey.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a 2ltr ....

The limit of your current engine is about 450hp being a semi closed deck factory forged ej207 . So really just turbo ,injectors and a sports /de cat then remap will get the engine running over 400 hp .

If it's a 2.5 ltr youd need a stronger block type and better pistons plus above to be safely over 400hp .

They're are loads of options of companies to use for building engines  but personally I'd try getting a quote elsewhere.

As £20k seems very excessive and I'd imagine you could get a 500hp engine built and most of the supporting mods , for around half that quote (around £10k)

Tbh if I couldn't build blocks myself there's only 3 companies I'd let build a engine for me ...

Alyn @ As performance 

Mick @Rm performance 

Martyn @ engine tuner 

No disrespect to any other companies I haven't listed but I've dealt with the 3 above and trust their judgement, knowledge and workmanship above anyone else's 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

If it's a 2ltr ....

The limit of your current engine is about 450hp being a semi closed deck factory forged ej207 . So really just turbo ,injectors and a sports /de cat then remap will get the engine running over 400 hp .

If it's a 2.5 ltr youd need a stronger block type and better pistons plus above to be safely over 400hp .

They're are loads of options of companies to use for building engines  but personally I'd try getting a quote elsewhere.

As £20k seems very excessive and I'd imagine you could get a 500hp engine built and most of the supporting mods , for around half that quote (around £10k)

Tbh if I couldn't build blocks myself there's only 3 companies I'd let build a engine for me ...

Alyn @ As performance 

Mick @Rm performance 

Martyn @ engine tuner 

No disrespect to any other companies I haven't listed but I've dealt with the 3 above and trust their judgement, knowledge and workmanship above anyone else's 

Going from stock to 500, 20k isn't far off when you brake down the costs. Bear in mind your not doing it in your garage, so you have to take into account labour and such.

Engine build, clutch, turbo, ecu, front mount, exhaust, headers, intake, injectors, fuel pump etc etc plus a hole load of supporting mods you;d wanna run like oil cooler etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I know that there's supporting mods and labour but I still I think it would be a lot closer to £10k than £20 k ,bud  .

Did both the engines you had built by scooby clinic cost £15k each  🤔

He's already got heads ,avcs plumbed in ,a 6 speed and r180 drivetrain capable of running 500hp. .

I know parts wise it's only about £2k for a 600 hp plus bottom end . So find £18k a lot of money for turbo ,injectors, fmic ,headers ,mapping and labour 😉

 

Either way I wasn't having a moan about clinic or their pricing, tidgy lol .

just that it's worth getting a few quotes from other reputable engine builders /tuning companies before handing over your hard earnt 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Yeah I know that there's supporting mods and labour but I still I think it would be a lot closer to £10k than £20 k ,bud  .

Did both the engines you had built by scooby clinic cost £15k each  🤔

He's already got heads ,avcs plumbed in ,a 6 speed and r180 drivetrain capable of running 500hp. .

I know parts wise it's only about £2k for a 600 hp plus bottom end . So find £18k a lot of money for turbo ,injectors, fmic ,headers ,mapping and labour 😉

 

Either way I wasn't having a moan about clinic or their pricing, tidgy lol .

just that it's worth getting a few quotes from other reputable engine builders /tuning companies before handing over your hard earnt 😉

 

no no i know you weren't dude 🙂

just from experiance i know how it adds up when you chuick in labour, and then vat is a killer as well, it's so easy to underestimate the costs, always worth shoipping round, but ive seen plenty of prices for 500 builds from different tuners and they all end up there or there abouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be the first to admit , I'm out of touch with the cost of garages labour, running costs .

As you know I do everything myself on the scooby and was a bit surprised that a oil n filter cost me £100 to get done on the a4 20t daily this week .

But I don't work on the daily or caddy workhorse,  if I can avoid it I do lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, savage bulldogs said:

I'll be the first to admit , I'm out of touch with the cost of garages labour, running costs .

As you know I do everything myself on the scooby and was a bit surprised that a oil n filter cost me £100 to get done on the a4 20t daily this week .

But I don't work on the daily or caddy workhorse,  if I can avoid it I do lol 

aye 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I have paid £100 for oil and filter change. My excuse it was in for bodywork and while they had it I may as well get them to do it. That will be the last time. Budgets always get broken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh the a4 is only a cheap 05 plate daily but it has fsh and 56k , So my excuse was "we'll have to keep the service history up and get a garage to do it "😉

The main reason I don't service all my vehicles is "I don't like working on dirty engines" but having such good service history the dailys bay is quite clean 

 

Screenshot_20190801-172402_Samsung Internet.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im still amazed how much emphasis people put on dealer service history, i've found most decent independent specialists know considerably more than the dealers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tidgy said:

im still amazed how much emphasis people put on dealer service history, i've found most decent independent specialists know considerably more than the dealers.

I have too agree. If I was buying one now I would be more interested if the owner did most of his work and can prove it with receipts and dates.  Subaru dealerships do not know anything about older Scoobies as I have found out. Then they test drive them and exceed the speed limits. I caught all their stupidity on dashcam. The could not even bleed the coolant correctly on my hawk WRX. They tried to bleed it from radiator cap lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agree - I use independent who is very familiar with scoobs or do it myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...