New member here but not a happy one šŸ˜“

So hello everyone ! IĀ was hopefully goingĀ to be a happy new wrx owner.....

I have bought and 08 hatchback thats had aĀ forged engine rebuild thatā€™s doneĀ 71500 miles from new. Itā€™s done 1000 miles after the rebuild so ā€œrun inā€ and Built by what looked like a reputable mechanic/tunerĀ 
Ā 

It was advertised Ā with no check light issues or problems or faults whatsoever ready for new owner To drive awayĀ 

It was a private sale through eBay but had a great write up and I met the seller at the station, went to his house and to his workshop. At the workshop we did the deal and I set off home.

an hour into the drive the engine check light comes on. I head back to his workshop and he puts the diagnostics on the car and canā€™t find the faults. And clears the codeĀ 

another few hours later engine check light comes on again .

i headĀ home as I was 20 mins away and I check the oil.Ā 
Ā 

thereĀ is none . I put 4 LITRES IN !!

Ā 

he wonā€™t accept a return, I feel this has been badly described And Iā€™ve been misled. Completely false advertising. Iā€™m wondering now if itā€™s even been ForgedĀ 

Heā€™s offered to fix it butĀ was hesitant when I arranged to take it to a Subaru garage I know near me Ā And insisted he wants to fix it

Ā Iā€™m in London heā€™s in Scotland. Thereā€™s a big cost in getting the vehicle back to him

Any constructivefeedback on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated from this community.Ā 
i am aware that it might seem stupid to travel so far for a car but looking at his website and seeing what he does and what he organises I thought it would be a good buy ..

many thanks šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Ā 

Wotcha and welcome - It is unfortunate your first post is such a downer.

Many of us travel significant distances to get our motors so nothing strange there.

I myself bought a motor that had been 'built' by a tuning company, the engine lasted 4000 miles - I only managed 1000 before I noticed the oil in coolant, so you are not alone.

The cost to transport back to origin would need to be weighed up with cost to complete repairs yourself, if the seller has offered to resolve this I believe this is the correct course of action in a dispute.

If you decide to return it then I would want proof for repairs - receipts for components etc.

I suspect there will be some expense incurred by yourself to resolve this however way you approach it so it will be down to how much you want to pay out vs peace of mind with the solution.

Ā 

Keep us posted thoughĀ 

• Like 1

Many thanks for your considered response. Really appreciate it. And yes sorry for a very sad first post...šŸ˜„
I think Iā€™m going to try and keep the car down south with me and the garage I would use is Jem Subaru. I used to use Richard at FB Tuning when I hadĀ my Bugeye and heā€™s really good but too busy At the moment being a one man setup.Ā 
I reckon all in itā€™s going to cost me around Ā£800 there and back and would rather put that into the car myselfĀ 

itā€™s going to be interesting to see if heā€™s prepared to cover the costs of the repairs ...

ive spoken citizens advice so have an idea where I stand.Ā 

As a starter, Right car is always worth traveling for

tbh i would ask for a full refund, get the car back to them and go on your way, i've seen lots of situations like this and they never seem to work out well.

Untill its assessed you wont know the extent of the damage, but given what i can only assume is extremly high oil consumption (4L in 1000 is a mega problem even for a forged engine), then i suspect the engine is not in a good way at all, so i would expect a bill well into a few thousands to put it right.

This of course assumes its not something as simple as wrong grade oil or something like that.

But either way i'd get it back to them and get your money back šŸ˜ž

Iā€™ve told him thatā€™s what IĀ want and Iā€™ll even pay the transport and HisĀ eBay fees

Heā€™s saying he wonā€™t give me a refund.
Iā€™m finding it pretty stressful tbh

Bare in mind he has a Subaru garage that heā€™s run for 20 years And Iā€™ve found his nameĀ in forum discussions on the net.Ā 

heā€™s using 10w 60 grade oil. Btw.. Dont knowĀ if thatā€™s wrong ..

1 minute ago, Tidgy said:

hmm, not sure what options you ahve them if im honest.

Ā 

I suspect its gonna be a case of get it up to him to get fixed. What garage is it?

Is it ok to name them on here ?

Just now, Tidgy said:

yeah can always be removed if needs be.

Ā 

May be worth seeing what your banks policy is on faulty goods.

Thanks I will contact them tomorrow .Ā 
Ā 

u8 performance in PerthĀ 

26 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

As a starter, Right car is always worth traveling for

tbh i would ask for a full refund, get the car back to them and go on your way, i've seen lots of situations like this and they never seem to work out well.

Untill its assessed you wont know the extent of the damage, but given what i can only assume is extremly high oil consumption (4L in 1000 is a mega problem even for a forged engine), then i suspect the engine is not in a good way at all, so i would expect a bill well into a few thousands to put it right.

This of course assumes its not something as simple as wrong grade oil or something like that.

But either way i'd get it back to them and get your money back šŸ˜ž

Also do you think the engine has to be opened up to check for damage now ?Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Tidgy said:

hard to tell, it will need a leak down test at least. But i suspect so

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1060804-has-ra-motorsport-in-perth-closed.html

I did come across this.Ā 
I suspect if I send the car back he wonā€™t open it up and check for damage

he also mentioned he has been told to block my number by colleagues etcĀ 

seems very worrying.Ā 
Ā 

I really just want a refund. Being a private sale I still have rights and may have to go through courts but this seems like a treacherous journey šŸ˜¬

Personally I wouldn't want to keep a car that either burns a lot of oil or that the previous owner didn't check the oil levels in . As running a performance car with half a litre of oil in, wouldĀ likely have caused some long term damage damage that would dramatically shorten engine lifeĀ 

Does the engine look like it's been removed /cleaned ? .

If you know the engine spec and what headgaskets were used , you can see the part of the headgaskets that normally have the brand on by looking at them .As they poke out between head and block along the top of the block .

Otherwise a endoscope down the bore might let you identify the piston type has been fitted .

You probably could get your money back just through the lack of oil but if you visually check the headgaskets and they've not been upgraded as described,Ā  I'd say it would strengthen your case for a refund .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Personally I wouldn't want to keep a car that either burns a lot of oil or that the previous owner didn't check the oil levels in . As running a performance car with half a litre of oil in, wouldĀ likely have caused some long term damage damage that would dramatically shorten engine lifeĀ 

Does the engine look like it's been removed /cleaned ? .

If you know the engine spec and what headgaskets were used , you can see the part of the headgaskets that normally have the brand on by looking at them .As they poke out between head and block along the top of the block .

Otherwise a endoscope down the bore might let you identify the piston type has been fitted .

You probably could get your money back just through the lack of oil but if you visually check the headgaskets and they've not been upgraded as described,Ā  I'd say it would strengthen your case for a refund .

Thanks for the advice. IĀ have The full engine spec written down in the advert so will get this checked out.Ā 
heā€™s contacted me today to say he will fix it but like I said, at this point I dont trust him,Ā so maybe itā€™s better to keep the car in my possession and get it checked out here then take it from there ...