Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turning 20 in March, wanting a classic Impreza wagon before 2022. Insurance Costs?


Recommended Posts

Hey all! not exactly sure how to word this, and I am sure this has been asked before but I need a general idea as to how this could go.

if you want to skip straight to my question, skip to paragraph 3 and read from there. I know we all don't have 24/7 to read a teenagers post lol.

1.      I am 19 currently, and have a UK turbo 2000 wagon. I haven't been able to drive it as it was given to me as a gift from my parents after my dad got his Hawkeye STi Spec D, but I was 16 at the time and none of us had the time or money to keep it healthy until I could afford to insure it. I have spoke to both parents about my idea, mum said she is fine with me having a turbo wagon, so much so saying that she will help towards the insurance as it has been a dream of mine to have one ever since my dad got the wagon initially. My dad is a bit more hesitant, saying I should wait a couple years until I'm over 21 at least, but I just can't wait that long! They both trust me behind the wheel enough to want to help me so that gives me some hope. We will strip the current wagon down and then use some of the good parts on it for my new one I will buy, and then make some money from the other parts to help towards the costs of the new Scoob. 

2.      I'm so set on Subaru cause I don't want a fiesta ST or Corsa/Astra VXR or something like that. I see too many, all with the same silly mods and I wanna be different. The AWD, sound, and character of a Subie is something nothing else can provide.

3.      I have seen so many 19-21 year olds in the UK asking to pay less than 2300 for insurance on a WRX, let alone a UK turbo 2000 Impreza (Which I want as they are cheapest on insurance for the performance) but I know that that just isn't realistic. I would be willing to pay between 4k on insurance, 5k at max, including the 100 pound a month or so help from my mum. Anything less is a bonus. Is this feasible at all? especially If my mum on as a name driver. I've had my license a year and I will have at least 1 years no claims when I come to buy one later this year.

4.     I want no silly answers about how I'm young and irresponsible and its a silly decision, because most older people I've seen on these forums think that if you are under 25 with a car that has an engine larger than a 1.4 NA then you're instantly going to wrap it round a tree and I'm frankly sick of it! Genuine help would be much appreciated, and if any of you are younger and have achieved what I seek to do, then please let me know how much you are paying, and general policy specifications (e.g. mileage, named drivers, location, turbo or non turbo, etc).

Thanks a million, Luke

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depend whats wrong with it and what it needs doing as far as if it's salvagable, If it's been sat for 3 years there is going to be some cost to get it ruinning, will need a full service, all fluids, all belts, possibly new tyres all round and possibly many other rubber seals. Fuel will be absolute rat pish so will need draining and refilling with decent fuel. Your right on the doorstep of scoobyclinic being at chesterfield so wouldn't be a huge cost involed with getting it up to them to have a look and see what needs doing.

As far as insurance goes, just bang your details into the price comparison sites and see what it comes back with. Most of the performacne insurance specialists wont deal with you till your over 25, so its gonna be a bit pot luck. Most fo the folks on here are alot older so wont really give you any idea of what the true cost will be.

Honestly the whole driving experiance thing is something to seriously consider. Most people talk about crashing them from experiance, and yep i'm guilty as charged, threw one over a hedge upside down at 50mph, not becasue i couldn't control it, but becuase i had a choice between hitting someone crossing the road right in front of me or going up the bank. I chose the bank and was luck enough to walk away, the car not so lucky. Thats what you don't learn about until you get the miles of driving under your belt.

That said, take it stead and realise you need to treat it with respect and you should be ok. Also might be worth seeing about getting some performance car driver training, can make a big difference. Bear in mind folks are saying it as they don't want to see you hurt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nictriumph said:

why...what happening in 2022?

Nothing I'd just really love to get one before then. I can wait if I absolutely need to but i'd love to have one before I have to pay for stuff like my own house and things, and cause it's just a dream of mine to get one

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tidgy said:

Depend whats wrong with it and what it needs doing as far as if it's salvagable, If it's been sat for 3 years there is going to be some cost to get it ruinning, will need a full service, all fluids, all belts, possibly new tyres all round and possibly many other rubber seals. Fuel will be absolute rat pish so will need draining and refilling with decent fuel. Your right on the doorstep of scoobyclinic being at chesterfield so wouldn't be a huge cost involed with getting it up to them to have a look and see what needs doing.

As far as insurance goes, just bang your details into the price comparison sites and see what it comes back with. Most of the performacne insurance specialists wont deal with you till your over 25, so its gonna be a bit pot luck. Most fo the folks on here are alot older so wont really give you any idea of what the true cost will be.

Honestly the whole driving experiance thing is something to seriously consider. Most people talk about crashing them from experiance, and yep i'm guilty as charged, threw one over a hedge upside down at 50mph, not becasue i couldn't control it, but becuase i had a choice between hitting someone crossing the road right in front of me or going up the bank. I chose the bank and was luck enough to walk away, the car not so lucky. Thats what you don't learn about until you get the miles of driving under your belt.

That said, take it stead and realise you need to treat it with respect and you should be ok. Also might be worth seeing about getting some performance car driver training, can make a big difference. Bear in mind folks are saying it as they don't want to see you hurt.

Thank you for the in-depth response! Yeah, we worked out a rough cost at the main bits to get it road worthy and its way into four figures. It's not too bad an idea with spending a little and getting it to scoobyclinic to see whats actually wrong. My dad got his engine forged and mapped there so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a ballache as he should be able to help out with sorting that.

I've had comparison sites fluctuate anything from 11k all the way down to less than 3k, even with the same policy details, so fingers crossed nearer the time we will see. even if I need to call about then I will, it's worth a look! I haven't got super high hopes but If i can find one that will, then I'll be willing to pay the increased premiums.

sorry to hear about your accident, at least everyone involved was okay! as for driving experience, I completely agree and I have already considered some driving experiences/tuition type deals cause the last thing I want to do is end up binning my pride and joy or worse, injuring myself or others from being an inexperienced idiot. My parents won't let me be silly with it so I'll definitely take a performance driving course. All the experience I can get before I get one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't really help with figures etc. as I only got my WRX STI last year at the ripe old age of 28 haha. But, like you, owning a Subaru has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

I had plenty of people tell me I should wait etc. and that it was something to look forward to and work towards.

Back in the day I used to find reg plates of cars I liked on Auto Trader and input them on every comparison site under the sun to see what people would charge me. In my early 20s I was still looking at four figure sums for comprehensive insurance with both my parents named on the policy.

Since then, I've moved out, I'm renting a house and I moved in with my girlfriend a year and a half ago. Since the lockdown happened I realised life is too short, got some job security and took the plunge. As I'm now nearing 30 I'm paying almost £600 a year for my car.

If I was you, I would wait. But that's just my opinion and you'll do what you want and feel is right. If you've got parents are willing to help you out, then that's awesome and more power to you. In terms of driving experience, miles under your belt really go help. No amount of training or intense courses will prep you for how people behave on the road. I've been driving since I was 19 (got my licence at 17) and I've owned two Vauxhall Corsas (1.3 CDTI and a 1.0T Limited Edition) before getting my STI. As long as you're sensible and understand the car is powerful, you should be ok. But other people will try and race you and sit glued to you rear bumper.

To try and get the best prices I'd just say what's already been said. Try all the comparison sites, avoid the modified/performance specialists as you'll be too young for them and see how you get on. Don't forget to try with Direct Line etc. on their website as they're not on comparison sites. Also remember that at your age it's highly unlikely any insurers will allow you to modify your car. Probably until you're 24 or 25. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope it all goes well and you get on the road!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CarBoyCam said:

I can't really help with figures etc. as I only got my WRX STI last year at the ripe old age of 28 haha. But, like you, owning a Subaru has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

I had plenty of people tell me I should wait etc. and that it was something to look forward to and work towards.

Back in the day I used to find reg plates of cars I liked on Auto Trader and input them on every comparison site under the sun to see what people would charge me. In my early 20s I was still looking at four figure sums for comprehensive insurance with both my parents named on the policy.

Since then, I've moved out, I'm renting a house and I moved in with my girlfriend a year and a half ago. Since the lockdown happened I realised life is too short, got some job security and took the plunge. As I'm now nearing 30 I'm paying almost £600 a year for my car.

If I was you, I would wait. But that's just my opinion and you'll do what you want and feel is right. If you've got parents are willing to help you out, then that's awesome and more power to you. In terms of driving experience, miles under your belt really go help. No amount of training or intense courses will prep you for how people behave on the road. I've been driving since I was 19 (got my licence at 17) and I've owned two Vauxhall Corsas (1.3 CDTI and a 1.0T Limited Edition) before getting my STI. As long as you're sensible and understand the car is powerful, you should be ok. But other people will try and race you and sit glued to you rear bumper.

To try and get the best prices I'd just say what's already been said. Try all the comparison sites, avoid the modified/performance specialists as you'll be too young for them and see how you get on. Don't forget to try with Direct Line etc. on their website as they're not on comparison sites. Also remember that at your age it's highly unlikely any insurers will allow you to modify your car. Probably until you're 24 or 25. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope it all goes well and you get on the road!

Thank you, I literally do just that! with the autotrader reg plates and checking how much they would be lol.

"no amount of training or intense courses will prep you for how people behave on the road" my mum says the exact same, the amount of accidents I've nearly been in from other people driving in silly ways is endless. I say nearly and only because Im overly cautious on the road for stuff like that, almost too aware or other road users! I'm not scared of it, but I just don't want to deal with the insurance and stuff that comes with it. Then I'll have no chance at a scoob... 

Not heard about direct line being off insurance comparison sites, I'll give them a try when I come to do it. 

As for mods and such, once I've got the car I won't really mind cause I'm sure it'll be plenty an upgrade from a 1.6T diesel DS3, that can wait once I have the car. If it proves unobtainable becuase no one will insure me, I can definitely wait If I need to, it would just be nice to get one as soon as I can really, you know? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nictriumph said:

have you tried quotes on a non-turbo impreza,,,just a thought.....ive waited 20 years for a impreza

Yeah funnily enough, turbos are cheaper on most quotes for whatever reason, no idea why. Surprisingly some specific WRX classics are cheaper than standard turbos when I quoted, others were more. More unsurprisingly STi classics are the most expensive. It doesn't make much sense and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case ringing up but I can't seen as I havent got one yet. But that's why I'm going for turbo especially since it would be cheaper to get a quote on one and follow it up with the insurer on a turbo, so why go non turbo if its cheaper or same price for turbo if you get me? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

insurance is like stock exchange,,,up n down weekly if not daily....ive gone for non-turbo as its same price as my dolomite(see my build thread) and i can add it to my policy for 40 quid and still have same cover as dolomite......sorry but is your age thats goner hamper you...but turbo now and pug it away for 4 years and then insurance is cheaper....when i started to drive after passing my licence i was driving fiat 126 air cooled for 3 years that was really fun...shop around and also phone up company to cut out middle man fees!....hey its upto you and how deep are your pockets

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nictriumph said:

insurance is like stock exchange,,,up n down weekly if not daily....ive gone for non-turbo as its same price as my dolomite(see my build thread) and i can add it to my policy for 40 quid and still have same cover as dolomite......sorry but is your age thats goner hamper you...but turbo now and pug it away for 4 years and then insurance is cheaper....when i started to drive after passing my licence i was driving fiat 126 air cooled for 3 years that was really fun...shop around and also phone up company to cut out middle man fees!....hey its upto you and how deep are your pockets

Thanks for the advice! Definitely gonna shop about when the time comes, who knows. Might strike a crazy low premium at the time I do it, may be the opposite but I will have to wait and see later this year what's going on with it all.

I haven't got any bills to pay and I don't have to pay any board, so all the money I earn is in my pocket. I'm shooting for about 24 hours a week at least which will give me around 900 a month. I can afford anything up until 4.5k for insurance on that wage and still comfortably afford the fuel, service, road tax, etc.

Glad to get some actually solid info for once, thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic car insurance might be another option worth looking into , admittedly you dont earn /use no claims and most are limited mileage. But normally a lot cheaper than most normal insurance policies 

I use R.H classic insurance for my 94 sti 

Link to post
Share on other sites

now you let cat out the bag.....yeah you dont earn no claims and limited to mileage,,,but you can up mileage and make bespoke insurance policy...my past cars for 18years are ford cortina mk2 1600e then triumph 2000 mk1 estate and now a brown dolomite 1300

but back too your age they may not insure you til your 25,,,sorry age is a factor...but phone up and ask

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

Classic car insurance might be another option worth looking into , admittedly you dont earn /use no claims and most are limited mileage. But normally a lot cheaper than most normal insurance policies 

I use R.H classic insurance for my 94 sti 

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind, could be a good option at the time, thank you didn't know about the lack of earning no claims on a classic policy. Well the more you know! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, nictriumph said:

but back too your age they may not insure you til your 25,,,sorry age is a factor...but phone up and ask

 

Yeah it's seems that way. Well it's worth a shot anyway, I never did have super high hopes for it but who knows. Pot luck at the end of the day whether I do or don't

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar conversations with my lad - may suggestion was to track the more powerful car and have a more age friendly motor to build up no claims and get him around.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:29 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hello Dan,

I'm looking to get an insurance on my Outback.

Can you help?

Have a great day,

Rik

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership