Anyone got some camshaft holding tools they’d like to rent to me?

AC72

Just doing the head gaskets on my 06 Forester XT and none of the usual tricks for locking the cam pulleys to remove the 10mm hex are working so going to have to resort to proper tools. Rather than buying them for a probably one-time job I was wondering if anyone had a set they would like to rent to me - I’m happy to leave a big deposit (oh-er) and pay postage both directions. I’d be after the AVCS intake cam and normal static exhaust cam tools.

Tried the usual with mole grips around the old belt but they weren’t holding against the 4ft breaker bar 😕. I suppose I could try to make something with a bit of steel bar and bolt through the old belt into a loop but to be fair these cam bolts haven’t been moved in 16 years and it shows!

use a piece of wood and screw belt into sides of it. that about simplest diy simple tool option

you can make a really nice tool if got a welder or can use thick angle iron and cut notches in it to slip belt in and out of .

main thing that keeps them tight is factory loctite, bit of heat from plumbers style gas torch can help, don't go mad on heat hough or ruin cam seal .

That a really clever alignment tool idea, perfect solution for alignment but not good for holding pulley for removal or fitting of bolt .

Main thing got be careful of when holding pulley to remove tight bolt is whatever method you using doesn't damage teeth edges on pulley .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, ended up getting the proper tools from Import Car Parts, a lot cheaper than the Company 23 ones and had all 4 pulleys off in 5 minutes - they were f'in tight though - breaker bar plus extension. The nut and bolt trick looks useful for when I put it back together this weekend.

Once it's all buttoned-up if anyone around Cambridge area needs to borrow these tools, just get in-touch.

• Like 2