a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

Tbh I couldn't have afforded to go out and buy both scoobs as they stand but doing everything myself has saved a fair bit of money and kept me busy .

Although I do enjoy driving and owning the bug,  it's too nice to be a winter car .

So I'll probably sell it eventually to recoup some money and buy a cheaper legacy 3ltr for the winter months 😉

Tbh I never really liked the bugs and have always preferred classics or blobeyes. But with the jdm hid's and grill I think mine looks sweet .

As far as doing everything yourself,  it does save a fair bit and gives you a lot more satisfaction being built not bought. Saying that , if something goes wrong you've got now one to blame but yourself 😂 

Although I can spray ,weld to British standard , operate cnc machinery and have plenty of experience in mechanical engineering. 

I don't have a workshop or equipment to complete most things to the standard I could do or that a tuning shop probably could , with the right equipment and facilities. 

I Do know not everyone has a mechanical background or wants to spend their spare time swearing at their scoob and looking for 10mm sockets 🙄

So understand my choice isn't for everyone and the whole reason for this thread isn't to show off or make people want what I've got But to help members be familiar with the boxer layout, share a bit of what I've learned along the way and hopefully inspire others to have a go themselves .

Screenshot_2019-01-25-11-43-40.png

Dont sweat it mate doesn't come across like your showing off at all. I get your point certainly isn't for everyone I let my mechanic worry about finding 10 mm sockets and shouting at my subaru for me 😂 furthest i go is basic servicing but even just that saves me a few quid. I was in school when the bug eye came out so it was a childhood dream when I finally owned one. 

Inspiring people to get stuck in is certainly something you do well, as do many others. I doubt I would’ve done half the stuff I have without reading about it and seeing pictures with the processes. Also having somebody knowledgable to ask if you get stuck is a massive comfort. It’s one things I love about forums, this one also has the bonus of no snobbishness or patronising comments to anyone. 

IMO Subarus are a great way to cut your teeth with a bit of home mechanics, everything is built like it’s designed to come apart again and can be done with a fairly basic set of tools. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately,  forums are getting a lot less "traffic" than they used to get due to the the large number of face book pages 😒

Don't get me wrong ,I'm a member of quite a few f.b pages myself and find them useful for local meets and events.

Generally they don't seem to be policed as well , so some do tend to end up with comments from haters , snobbery or clicky'ness. Some of the advise does tend to be a bit hit n miss too .

I do find forums easier for doing research ,finding  previous posts and just generally navigate .

I agree Sam ,As a whole the Subaru community does seem to be one of the friendliest and most helpful I've come across . 

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to start posting some useful information and progress pics ,rather than just keeping posting pics of my shiny scoobs 🙄

Id really like to get more using the forum's. Be good if the local clubs used the regional section to advertise their meets. And I'd use our page to try boost them. But Facebook does seem to have hit the use of forum's.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Had a little free time this afternoon,  so started to strip the the car down. Seeing as I'm going to get the inlet manifold powder coated ,I thought I might as well see if any of the disused lugs can be cut off the inlet to tidy things up a bit .

The 25yr old engine loom has seen better days and has caused a few electrical gremlins, due to the insulation going brittle . I'm currently running a phase 1.5 tps , tps plug and new age coilpack conversion , so even if I could find a good second hand replacement I'd have to splice a few things in again .

I've bought a few sensors off J.T innovations in the past , so decided to get them to make a new custom engine loom . Pic of the previously patched up crispy loom .

Doing a bit of research atm to try n find out if having a different fitting on the end of one rail will cause fuel flow /pressure differences between each bank . I needed to create extra clearance away from the clocked turbine housing , so fitted a racingline banjo bolt (black fitting in the fuel system pics) 

20190220_144742.jpg

20190220_152948.jpg

• Like 1

Although at my level of power or type of usage, I don't really need to go "parallel" .

I've over thought and engineered most of the car , so why not the fuel lines too.

The oe fuel system runs a "series" set up , this means cylinder number 3 is the last in line to get fuel . a parallel fuel rail conversion allows the fuel to flow into the end of each "rail" and return out of the other end , so no particular injector is last in line to get fuel anymore. 

A few pics of me trying to work out which lugs to remove off the inlet,  once the oe rails are gone and which way to flow and return the fuel lines. 

20190220_152811.jpg

20190220_152650.jpg

20190220_152835.jpg

20190220_152902.jpg

• Like 3

Personally, I think a parallel set up is a good idea for anyone increasing your power on your engine. 

99% of the time it’s that number 3 piston/rod/bearing that fails because of it running lean. 

If you can do it yourself, it doesn’t need to be expensive as you can use the original parts with an aftermarket pressure regulator. That being said, a kit like @savage bulldogs is comparatively inexpensive compared to an engine rebuild. 

Lovely work as always 👍

• Thanks 1

Dunno about that gambit ,engine's done over 40k since I built it but the bays getting some tlc now 😉

Ross , I do like to do as much as possible myself but the fuel lab fpr made up lines and v3 /v4 modified rails came up cheap from a friend of mine .

He had them made up by a professional company and although I like a challenge,  cutting stainless steel overbraid lines ain't my favourite job . So I bought them off him and some billet phase 1 rails off cdf ,as the v3/v4 rails don't fit my phase 1 inlet 🙄.

I agree Sam,  cylinder 3 is normally the weak link, due to being last in the fuel feed and tucked up at the back of the bay next to the up pipe and turbo (hottest cylinder) .

• Like 2

Dunno about that gambit ,engine's done over 40k since I built it but the bays getting some tlc now [emoji6]
Ross , I do like to do as much as possible myself but the fuel lab fpr made up lines and v3 /v4 modified rails came up cheap from a friend of mine .
He had them made up by a professional company and although I like a challenge,  cutting stainless steel overbraid lines ain't my favourite job . So I bought them off him and some billet phase 1 rails off cdf ,as the v3/v4 rails don't fit my phase 1 inlet [emoji849].
I agree Sam,  cylinder 3 is normally the weak link, due to being last in the fuel feed and tucked up at the back of the bay next to the up pipe and turbo (hottest cylinder) .
It's still stunning. Like Julie Robert's [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers chaps ,

Made a start on stripping the inlet off ,so I can trial fit the fuel rails and work out what lugs I can cut off prior to powdercoating .

Seemed like a nice day for it , so I pulled the car cover right back to give the old girl a better airing. Everything has been on and off the car numerous times so didn't take too long , to get to the point of removing the inlet bolts .

Quick cuppa coffee whilst staring at her in the sun 😊

Then a bird dive bombed and shat on the drivers door and rear 1/4 ffs lol 

20190224_155852.jpg

20190224_160042.jpg

20190224_125110.jpg

I'd fitted some thermal inlet manifold spacers about 2 yrs ago and the kit came with longer "Allen/hex type bolts " to bolt the inlet to the heads . I built this engine about 5yrs ago and the only fluid on the block was a minor bit of power steering fluid ,leaking from the p.s pump 😎

Most of the bolts are showing a bit of tarnishing but the 2yr old thermal spacer kit bolts looked proppa rusty in comparison to the rest of the older bolts 😏

Then "snap" cylinder 3 outter inlet bolt (closest to thr turbo) snapped in the head 🤐😥😤🤬

Hopefully I'll be able to remove it without drilling and retapping it 🤔

20190224_133442.jpg

20190224_133453.jpg

• Sad 1

Just frustrating having already replaced nearly all the bolts on the engine and then having to replace oe quality bolts for the longer hex ones in the spacer kit...

Only to find out the bolts in the kit are made from recycled rusty Alfa Romeo's 🤪

There's about 30mm still sticking out,  so I've ordered a "cam type" extractor,  which will hopefully get it out . If not I'll pilot drill it, wind a old skool bolt extractor in and run a tap through it to clean the threads .

I don't know what the splitter is on the bug but next time I speak to Gary (last owner) ,I'll ask him if you like  ?

Was also going to switch the gauge sensors over ,so I can fit the defis, while the inlet was off but can't seem to find a preface dash top pod or air vent conversion panel for 3x 60mm gauges 🙄  

On the plus side the loom is ready to be posted off too jtinovations, so at least something is going right 😊

11 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

11 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

🤪

I don't know what the splitter is on the bug but next time I speak to Gary (last owner) ,I'll ask him if you like? 

Yeah if you dont mind mate 👍