a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

Nah the doors are a bit mix n match due to some of the original ones (black handles) having dents .so when we broke the classic my cdb came out of we fitted the facelift front end and switched a few pannels around cos my uk scooby , his v1 and the breaker were the same colour [emoji6]

Just gutted we scraped the original preface bonnet [emoji19]

That was a nasty eBay special so we switched that for the autobahn fmic off the breaker .

Poor thing also had a paddle clutch which shook the !Removed! outta you every time you tried to pull away .

It's only done 86,000 klm and it's a shame I can't keep the original engine , but I've put to much time n effort into my current cdb .

Will admit I'm still in 2 minds whether to ....

Do a loom swap to run my mafless v3 ecu .

Or

Dice n splice the v1 loom to keep the separate coil packs and apexi ecu set up .

• 1 month later...

Well think I've decided to give the apexi a try in the v1 Shell as I don't fancy changing the loom to fit my v3 esl'd ecu and inlet .

So I'll be keeping the phase 1 inlet set up and going back to running a maff (for now)

The car was made in may 94 so has obviously got a few marks on the bodywork .

The general idea is to remove any rust , prep, repaint and protect the underside of the car .

so I thought I'd remove the side skirts and see what lies beneath .

post-1399-140856773723_thumb.jpg

post-1399-140856795724_thumb.jpg

Just a tiny amount of rust along the lip of the sill post-1399-140856805258_thumb.jpg

rear arch this side is in slightly better nick than my 17 yr old uk[emoji4] post-1399-140856813972_thumb.jpgpost-1399-140856815163_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the other sides will be in the same condition and once done I'll start on the inner rear arches . Unfortunately they've been rolled but fairly well and have been resealed (painted)

• Like 1

I've been stripping the Shell down a bit more today in order to get to the main areas that are prone to rust on classics .

Bottom of the wing/ sill

post-1399-140882587236_thumb.jpg

Rear arches/bumper bar

post-1399-140882591839_thumb.jpg

Although the Shell is uber clean for it's age ,I wanted to try to protect the underside while having it off the road .

what few bit's of surface rust I found (after a clean up ) I sanded , treated and primed ready for stone chip and paint .

Before

post-1399-140882554841_thumb.jpg

After

post-1399-140882559024_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be able to paint the arches yet ,till the engine's gone as I want some weight out of the car before I remove the coilovers.

I did remove the fuel filler neck plastic cover whilst cleaning and was surprised to see how much dirt was wedged in it .

No wonder my uk fuel filler neck rusted through and left trails of v power behind me like back 2 the future [emoji4]

as the plastic guard fills with dirt and traps moisture rotting the neck .

Now the v1 sti's engine's been re home'd t thought id remove both wings and the scuttle pannel to make sure the drain channels were clear .

F9D1E549-orig_zpsa4f05611.jpg

got a bit sidetracked and 5 hours , 2 toothbrushes and half a bottle of machine cleaner later

989EAF69-orig_zps27cc01c6.jpg

Just need to find a product to seal the paintwork that can be sprayed on .

as I don't fancy waxing and having to buff it off .

• Like 1

Done under all the arches as well now [emoji5]

They've come up well for a 20yr old car , without any rust or flake y stone chip anywhere.

post-1399-140993573527_thumb.jpg

I'm not a fan of underseal as when it flakes it traps moisture behind it .

So i Think I'm gonna give them a coat of silver paint.

I'll wipe with some thinners to degrease and supple up the stonechip a bit , which will also help the paint adhere better .

What little surface rust that's been found I've sanded back and treated with rust killer .

post-1399-14099491045_thumb.jpg

then gave the area a coat of zinc heavy rust killer primer .post-1399-140994932643_thumb.jpg

Still struggling with the apexi hand controller hand book , tbo it might as well be in Japanese atm [emoji5]

But I have decided to keep the 2011 sti seats , momo steering wheel , whiteline bump steer kit ,gt spec slipjointed headers and possibly the bigger boot spoiler [emoji4]

That's the only thing I dislike about painting stuff.... the stripping, de greasing and preparing . Quite enjoy putting shiny stuff together[emoji5]

Saying that I've just bought a reversed v1 inlet and alternator relocation bracket[emoji39]

Both need a lick of paint (glutton for punishment I know) but I keep telling myself and the wife.....

"whats the point in fitting a standard inlet , when ill have to take it off to fit a flipped one at some point "

saw your update gary when do you think you'll have your's up and running

I agree tlag you clean 1 bit and it makes the rest look filthy [emoji5]

The inner arches look in better condition than the bodywork now [emoji15]

20yrs has taken its toll on the outside , but im hoping I can take care of that at a later date .

Just thought I'd make the most of having the Shell off the road and in bit's anyways

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers she's like my shadow (not that im short n stocky lol)

Shells starting to go back together now but can't start fitting to much as I need the v3 on the road for as long as possible [emoji19]

post-1399-141116064664_thumb.jpg

Had the (untidy looking) ex andy forest race car reverse v1 inlet and alternator relocation bracket turn up today [emoji4]

post-1399-141116091147_thumb.jpg

So stripping , prepping and painting this will be the next sub project

I stripped the Inlet as it had to be sanded back as the paint had started to flake [emoji19]

masked all machined surfaces and After 2 hrs sanding I sprayed it with adhesion premotor (it's clear in colour) post-1399-141129713411_thumb.jpg

Then enamel primer post-1399-141129729237_thumb.jpg

Colour coat

post-1399-141129735903_thumb.jpg

Got to let it dry for 24 hrs [emoji19] before I can flatten it off and give it the final coats of lacquer . So hopefully mid week I'll start to build the inlet up with the phase 1 fuel lines , engine loom, vacuum lines ect... of the sti inlet

Cheers jay, hopefully it should hold the rust at bay for a while .

Made a bit more progress with the inlet today by stripping down the v1 sti's inlet .

cleaned and checked the engine loom for damage/breaks in the insulation

Cleaned and polished the throttle body and icv

Stripped , cleaned and painted the fuel lines

post-1399-141141471426_thumb.jpg

The ally oval blanking plate on the top of the inlet is for a 5th injector [emoji6]

so I found myself looking into nos kits last night [emoji48]

but decided to tackle that at a later date [emoji6]