My build/conversion project

Tlag

Today started with work underneath

94290CB5-E0A1-4D4C-92A9-C0EE1ED90DAD_zps

So, first job is to install the baffle plate and oil pick up

9C7EFFCC-FD07-49A0-BAAD-D64930A8C308_zps

Next was to cover it up again :)

C2369CF4-75B8-4188-8E5F-FBE67DFB7C49_zps

With the bottom done as much as I need at the moment, attentions turned to the heads.

The Arp head studs first

DE767A59-7BD3-4E42-80BE-B1271361A0A4_zps

Head gaskets fitted

DBE77109-6FC3-4B81-94B8-1F45D8E58D78_zps

And heads put one and torqued up

87B28DB1-2791-49CE-A6A8-FEBF57228BB6_zps

Then, I couldn't wait any longer, so I had to mock up the exhaust manifold :)

It will have to come off again but I couldn't help myself.

4CBC1CBE-B8E0-4900-8EE1-23DEA85D446A_zps

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The build has slowed a little but is still progressing.

Have now fitted the buckets/shims and camshafts.

Finally fitted the cam covers with new gaskets and started building the front covers up

C5F74197-9C31-499A-9C37-C999A5A21FBC_zps

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Managed to get a few hours in today on the beast. Had a good morning. I got he timing belt on along with the cam covers, hotter spark plugs fitted for the extra power and drilled and taped the cam covers to install the new breathers. Shouldn't be too much longer now!

Famous last words. :)

82812c841743312a0aee08ea6d642016_zpsd0be

36d3d8d8ff716a7283fb271bb83a0c6c_zps47f0

a137e8fe54ac31d278c5ae457c43e98b_zps5a09

• Like 1

As it's a 2.5 block, it has the extra un baffled crankcase breather. The heads are 2.0l heads and so only have the standard, single, baffled breathers. I've fitted the extra breather ports so they can simply link up with the crank case breather, which means that any pressure is evened out.

I could have just capped the extra breather, but I know the 2.5 breaths quite heavily, so it's more 'belt and braces' than anything else.

Whoop-whoop like savage I was wondering when the next update was coming :D 

So went for drilling it then :) I guess no other way really. And looking more like a built engine now fingers crossed be ready to see it now the roads are getting dry :)

I don't know to much about the 2.5 bottom ends tbo 

I was just curious because the only place I get a slight weep of oil (after a bit of lead foot)  on my engine is the gasket between the plastic crank case and the cam cover .

are you using impreza heads or legacy ?

These are gen 2 GTB heads. Shims over buckets. Tbh, no other reason to use them than I already had a set. If I'd used Impreza heads, I would have had less work to do due to the secondary turbo oil feeds.

The inlet manifold stud pattern is different on Legacies too. Gen 2 legacy is the same as phase 1. gen 3 is the same as phase 2 I think.

The inlet manifold has been the biggest headache up to now with my conversion. Using Gen 2 heads, I've had to use either a very early Impreza manifold (which I didn't have) or a gen 2 manifold (of which I have a few). Plus, the manifold electric loom needs to obviously fit the components on the block, heads and at either end, so that has to be the legacy loom. The idle control electrics are different on a legacy to an Impreza, as is the throttle control, so that narrowed it down to a legacy manifold.

I've also gone for a parallel fuel rail conversion and a side feed to top feed conversion. This has meant altering the injector plugs, as side feed ones don't fit top feed injectors.

Going single turbo, the turbo air inlet had to be from an Impreza, which means I have more spare vacuum and air vents than you can shake a stick at. Lots of capping required :).

Hopefully, I'm reaching the end of the manifold headache, but it's not quite done yet. :)

I've got 2 spare v3/v4 phase 1.5 inlets and my old v3 uk turbo long block. so let me know if you need any bungs outta the oil feeds on the impreza heads or any dimensions of the inlet/sensors ;-)

parallel fuel rails that's something on my to do list but, my 550 cc side feed nismo's were running 450hp @ standard fuel pressure ( in a race car previously ) so they'll be ample for my needs

• Like 1

It's quite worrying really. When I first started the project, I made a list of bits required and ticked the bits off when I had them.

What's worrying is, every time I move on to the next section of the build, I have to add to the list. Although in general, the size of the parts has got smaller, the size of the list never seems to. :)

• Like 1

Got the equal length headers on to today.

imagejpg1_zpscc31d300.jpg

Whilst I was looking at the bottom of the engine, I started on the sandwich plate for the oil cooler. I found the oil sensor I have to install in it is quite long and just wouldn't quite fit. So, out with the Dremel and a bit of material removed. It then fitted just right. :)

Next was the engine mounts and turn the engine the right way up again. I turned my attention back to the inlet manifold, which it keep, finding excuses to walk away from. Converting it to single turbo has been a bit of a mission. Whilst I know the twin turbo setup very well indeed, the single turbo setup, which should be simpler, I have very little knowledge of.

Anyway, I think I have the manifold just about worked out now so I put it all together. I still need to actually fit the wiring loom but the air pipes are now fitted along with the top feed injector conversion. Next will be the parallel fuel conversion.

imagejpg1_zps89354b9f.jpg

• Like 1

Shocked you went with equal length headers and lose the burble. But does look very nice in all it's mirror glory. I will ask might sound dumb does the equal manifold increase the BHP  or is it a matter of what you like more in the sound. ?

It's unfortunate that I will lose the burble as I love it. Still, I have a twin turbo with an awesome noise for that if needed.

I've gone this route just to get the most from the mods and conversions that I've done. I really can't put a figure on bhp that I could gain from this but everyone I've spoken to recommends it.

Maybe I could do what they do with the new Mclaren, just play the exhaust noise through the Stereo.:)

It is a shame but can see where the logic comes from while it would be better. Would like to know for sure if I was doing it myself just to try keep that part of the sound. I do agree though I'm sure the noise from this beast would satisfy little old Edna as it went past whilst she waits at the bus stop. :wacko: