Looking for STI Hatch

Gary2707

Ok so going to look at this scooby today. As I'm new to scoobys what should I look out for? I know all my usual tests so just scooby specific stuff.

Also if it's not a type uk could I use that as a good haggling point?

Cheers

Not sure you have read through this or not 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

I'd also have a look see if it's had ringland failure or the map from Subaru. I will point out it's a fault that all 2.5 engine have I know the hatch lads on here get a bit defensive when it's mentioned ;) . But if it hasn't as long as the service history and you oil change it when it needs to be done it should be fine it was just a few cars that seemed to go.

I doubt you will be able to get anything off it with it not being a UK model it will normally be priced to match. Only way is just to good old haggle market street style unless it's advertised as a UK then it's worth a try  :)

Keep us updated anyway mate hope it all goes well. The other Hatch owners might be able to give more tips on what they have seen with owning one :)

the TypeUK  package is similar to a Prodrive (PPP) upgrade on earlier models, examples of package in the link (The picture in the link is for illustration purposes only the hatch has a x2 twin exit round pipes)), yes use it as a haggling point, a big visual indicator is the rear box the stainless end caps will be stamped with the Prodrive logo if it has been replaced. (see pic)

http://www.subarupartsstore.co.uk/product/Impreza_WRX_STI_2.5_2008_-_onwards_Performance_Pack_SACC2811.

IMG_4324_zps28cddeed.jpg

Gambit raises a good point, ringland failure can be caused by low oil levels (info care of Petes mate) and consistent high revs on standard STI cars - According to Subaru, who I contacted directly, the Type UK remap performed as part of the PPP upgrade addressed the lean fuelling at high revs but I was still intending to get mine remapped for peace of mind by JGM or Andy Forrest.

as you switch between the modes you will be able to tell a difference as each one is running half a psi higher plus different fuelling to match.

panels are light weight and are thin, check to see no one has leant on or caused a dent in panels particularly above rear windows as the access is hard to push them out.

the paint on the door cards is thin so will scratch easily and will probably be worn in this model - an easy cheap fix it get removed and blown over by a painter but it can be used for leverage

my advice - dont go with a view to buying this car use this as a tester there are cheaper lower mileage examples with 18" rims that pop up just means a little patience

Point of note the brake discs are not the standard Brembo items and it looks like EBC yellow stuff pads are being used - this is not a bad thing as they are great pads but see what make the discs are and ensure they are not budget ones - if they are a reputable make - bonus

That is top money for that car with that mileage and year

also - it hasn't got 18 inch alloys, it hasn't got fog lamps which were an option / nice to have but the big thing is I dont think this is a type UK but a standard STI running 300 bhp.

The type UK is one with the prodrive kit (ECU, back box, remap and high flow panel filter) and should come with a certificate and an extra 30bhp

STi's came on 17's - 300bhp ish (you can have the PP fitted on this, it would be classed a modification for insurance tho)

STi 330s had 18's  - 325bhp ish

if a UK car it will be a TypeUK

On the link for the dark Gray car above, it looks like a non standard exhaust back box,  would like to know if it's been changed.... if so has the car had a re map to allow for the change on exhaust.

STi's came on 17's - 300bhp ish (you can have the PP fitted on this, it would be classed a modification for insurance tho)

STi 330s had 18's  - 325bhp ish

if a UK car it will be a TypeUK

That is not the case as before the 330s was introduced you had the standard STI running the 300 bhp as you have mentioned and the STI Type UK which is an STI with a dealer supplied PPP certified set of modifications - from an insurance perspective as it was a dealer supplied car it is not classed as modified.

The TypeUK was effectively rebranded as the 330s plus some additions like push button starter and different recaro seats as standard.

That is not the case as before the 330s was introduced you had the standard STI running the 300 bhp as you have mentioned and the STI Type UK which is an STI with a dealer supplied PPP certified set of modifications - from an insurance perspective as it was a dealer supplied car it is not classed as modified.

The TypeUK was effectively rebranded as the 330s plus some additions like push button starter and different recaro seats as standard.

I'm managing the design and build of an insurance website at the moment. The car list supplied by Thatcham has the PPP listed as standard cars. As an example the WRX in 2004 has....

WRX (221)

WRX (261) - this being the PPP, I can't remember the exact bhp figure but you get the idea.

The STIs are listed separately. All have their own ABIs, I'll check the insurance groups for them tomorrow, pretty sure the PPP is same as standard.

• Like 1

Nice one Gary from Nottingham :)

Glad your pleased with it. As other have said get the map check out by some one like Jolly Green Monster or Andy Forrest, two of the best in the scooby world. Then get yourself down to Jap Fest 2 on the club stand, felt a bit lonely being the only hatch.

Essential reading:

Explains all about the centre diff and the I-Drive

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/4392-i-drive-dccd-explained/

Any plans for mods?

I've just gone cosmetic myself rather than power. No where near as far as Salsa King though :)

Wheels are a must, those 17" weigh a ton and are too plain, you can liven up the steering with a set of lighter wheels.

If you want to change the look of the car two things I would do is swap out the rear fog light for a clear version and maybe get the red overlays for the rear lights from Salsa King.

0C8F0BF9-B441-4F73-A1D7-122A98444F7B_zps

Nice one Gary from Nottingham :)

Glad your pleased with it. As other have said get the map check out by some one like Jolly Green Monster or Andy Forrest, two of the best in the scooby world. Then get yourself down to Jap Fest 2 on the club stand, felt a bit lonely being the only hatch.

Essential reading:

Explains all about the centre diff and the I-Drivehttp://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/4392-i-drive-dccd-explained/

Any plans for mods?

I've just gone cosmetic myself rather than power. No where near as far as Salsa King though :)

Wheels are a must, those 17" weigh a ton and are too plain, you can liven up the steering with a set of lighter wheels.

If you want to change the look of the car two things I would do is swap out the rear fog light for a clear version and maybe get the red overlays for the rear lights from Salsa King.0C8F0BF9-B441-4F73-A1D7-122A98444F7B_zps

Yh I've got a few ideas ;)

Will only be simple cheap stuff at first until my track build is finished haha

Short term tho prob looking at rear light mod but prob not over lays ill prob mast and tint spray them with red then very light coat of black.

Loose some weight from the car but nothing to affect the comfort if you know what I mean.

Bit of black plasti dip here and there to darken things up

Save for a full piano black wrap

Do some piano black wrapping of some interior trim too

And some light weight but oem looking wheel

Ohh and some r888 tyres

And if possible id like to get a remap but to improve economy and keeping oem bhp

• Like 1

news to me then.

as I understand it.. if you bought a STi in the uk from a dealer they are TypeUk anyway (like STi v7 TypeUK etc - the first STi to be sold in the UK via the IM  dealers), as it's not a JDM import STi.

with the option of the PPP on the STi, some dealer tried selling them as a 330R.

the 330s was a Prodrive 'tuned' officially branded car for/by Subaru.

Rear Tints, push button entry + start. SatNav/DVD player, Recaro.

When I rang for insurance they all said they have listed as 'standard' cars the STI & the 330s. 

If I said it was the STi with PPP they class that as a modification.

Does depend on what list they are using but I've not seen a list with PPP specifically stated. There is no STI PPP model. There are two models with different bhp...so if you're telling them you have PPP fitted theyll probably see that as a mod.

news to me then.

as I understand it.. if you bought a STi in the uk from a dealer they are TypeUk anyway (like STi v7 TypeUK etc - the first STi to be sold in the UK via the IM  dealers), as it's not a JDM import STi.

with the option of the PPP on the STi, some dealer tried selling them as a 330R.

the 330s was a Prodrive 'tuned' officially branded car for/by Subaru.

Rear Tints, push button entry + start. SatNav/DVD player, Recaro.

When I rang for insurance they all said they have listed as 'standard' cars the STI & the 330s. 

If I said it was the STi with PPP they class that as a modification.

I did check with Subaru before buying my type UK as I wanted to understand the differences also from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza

They are versions of Impreza WRX STI for the UK market, with specific tuning by Prodrive. WRX STI 330S includes increased engine power to 330 PS (243 kW; 325 hp). WRX STI 380S includes increased engine power to 380 PS (279 kW; 375 hp), new wheels, an upgraded body kit. The vehicles were unveiled in British Auto Show.

Subaru announced, on September 10, 2008, that the 380S variation would not be produced, due to homologation and specification difficulties. However, the regular 330S model did enter production as the "WRX STI Type UK".

Gary - Id prioritise a remap - the economy will not be great unless you completely reduce the bhp but obviously that defeats the object of buying the car in the first place - more to avoid ringland issues

all STi's from a subaru dealer in the Uk with be TypeUK?

Then you could have the option of PPP fitted to it.

If you get a STi in the Uk thats not Type UK, you'll find it;s a 'dutch' import. As these cars have the same spec interior as a 330s.. but had a 18" multi spoke alloy (that looks like a BBS alloy)

Obviously if you get a Jap import STi  specC they'll have 2litre engines