Obd scanner thing wireless recommendations

Th4neuk

Hiya,

Just been thinking about an obd11 scanner code thingy and wondered if I could get a Bluetooth dongle thing that would plug in? If I can get a app can maybe plug it in on the Stereo to keep an eye etc. saves having to drag the pc out to the car too?

Has anyone done this and what dongle/ apps did you use?

Cheers

Alan

I've got a PC built into my car and used a Bluetooth dongle to my OBDII Bluetooth sender, compared to the App on my phone or tablet it wasn't very good at all the data had about a full second delay on it  :( not sure if it's because the PC is in the boot and the dongle in the PC isn't that great which made it slow. 

But what worked for me best was the Bluetooth sender from eBay and torque pro app on the phone.

I use the following:

Kingmansion ELM 327 WiFi Wireless OBD2 scanner (currently £11.75 delivered on Amazon) and

OBD Car Doctor - a free iphone app widely available on the app store

Does the job nicely  :)

• Like 1

Bought the DashCmd app as its compatible with my Pioneer head unit. So I can get it on the screen rather than looking at the phone, and all the functions work on the touch screen :) only downside is I cant connect with my new iphone 5 as i have to by a new adapter :(

31E275A7-C3B7-4877-A86B-43E25D285B2B_zps

5405064F-8C01-4755-A0CB-20B748D65B35_zps

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

Also worth bearing in mind for my99-08 cars is the free version of the subaru select managment for windows. Super powerfull peice of kit and all you need is a cable from Amazon.

I have everything but it wont connect to my car as it still uses the old style ssm.

Still when I have time gonna do a propper post

For details on tha

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

Also worth bearing in mind for my99-08 cars is the free version of the subaru select managment for windows. Super powerfull peice of kit and all you need is a cable from amazon.

I have everything but it wont connect to my car as it still uses the old style ssm.

Still when I have time gonna do a propper post

For details on tha

Just downloaded the software and ordered a cable (£5.95 inc p+p) so I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Just downloaded the software and ordered a cable (£5.95 inc p+p) so I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Hi Shifty - could you tell me which cable you ordered? Did it come from Amazon?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

So what info will i get from a cheap and cheerful elm 327 Bluetooth obd2? (from 2003 Blob Impreza 2.0 Turbo)

in terms of real time data (running through android apps btw)

(I say cheap and cheerful as the one i have seen from Subaru shops was around £100)

Also is there an app to log the data to play back through RaceRender along side my Dash Cam vid, gps and G?

I got one from eBay for £13....then £7 for the DashCMD app. You can configure your own dashes with any data you wish...RPM, MPG, oil temp, boost, speed, fuel rate, est BHP, gear change points etc. You can also log all the data and replay your trip.

You can also read errors and reset them. I've found this very helpful...not so much the dashes...found them more of a gimick...but I'm a techie so I like to fiddle [emoji16][emoji15]