Career change

Rick 2014

Im a level 2 qualified Mechanic by trade and a Plumber as weird as it sounds.My main job is a Class 1 driver at the minute ive not worked in the garage in years but I do keep my hand in doing jobs.Yesterday my mate phones me up asking would I be interested in doing a bit of work on Saturday as two Mechanics have let the garage down I said ok and went in to give a hand.Today as strange as it sounds I had the owner of the garage come up to me and asked did I want a job :lol: he had been watching me all day and likes the way I work.I said the only way I would come back into the trade is if  I could do a level 3 nvq on site or day release at college and he snapped by arm off and said yes :) Ive just turned 34 as well and technology has changed rapid since I started my trade so I wanted to update my quals.I never thought for one minute id go into some where to help out and walk out with a job :lol: I could complete an nvq on site in 6 month if its all evidence based

• Like 2

Great news mate, anything to better your self is a win

I always wanted to get into the motor trade only to be told when I was at school that it's all computerised now a days and it wouldn't be a good career move. Tossers ! So spent the last 17 years doing jobs I have just fallen into.

• Like 1

I plan to emergrate to Oz as soon as I can so if I can get this out of the way and it wont be long leaving the UK.Emergrating has been on the cards for years and I feel like this is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle finishing my quals off.Think its gonna cost £1600 for the on site nvq visits and basicly its like buying your own nvq lol.When I did my plumbing qual I got 6 visits on site in 6 weeks and the rest was paperwork :lol:

• Like 1

Hi Matt I go to Oz quiet a lot every other year I take the missus and my kids.I stay with my Aunty and uncle over there and my kids play with my cousins kids :lol:.When its time to come home the kids don't want to leave.We want to move there more for the kids to give them a better future.I can go trucking again when the kids are older.One of my things ive always wanted is my road train licence.One thing I will say to anyone is your never to old to learn anything if you want to do anything then go and do it.I started going back to college when I was 28 I had no GSCEs and had to go night school just to get them to go on a plumbing course.In 1997 when I did my level 2 in a garage I only went to college once or twice the rest was on site just filling out paper work collecting evidence to complete my Nvq.When I was at college a few years back I saw people in there late 40s doing a trade and I say game on and they just got on with it and I bet most of these I saw at college are in the industry.

As for Gambit I say to you good man for doing your course and I hope you enjoy it.

I don't blame you mate would love to move down under me and my missus have talked about it. But not going to happen anytime soon. I nearly ended up in Canada about 10years ago now both my older brothers had moved there. Ones since come back here after 18 years, he's the manager as heathrow terminal 5 now. But my other ones still there and doubt he will ever move back here. And I'm enjoying the course not as physical as I like, and a lot to do 2 full course I need to do in a year that should take nearly 3 :( But at the end of the day it's the bigger pay packet and a better life we do it for nothing more :) 

So will you be taking the scoobs across with you or buying another when you land ;) 

Sounds good opertunity & plans Rick.

Cars have changed a lot but it all quite quick to learn, most of it comes down to personal interest in the job as then learn easy & enjoy it.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Sounds good opertunity & plans Rick.

Cars have changed a lot but it all quite quick to learn, most of it comes down to personal interest in the job as then learn easy & enjoy it.

Good luck with it

Cheers Paul I don't just like it as a job im passionate about cars and always have been

I don't blame you mate would love to move down under me and my missus have talked about it. But not going to happen anytime soon. I nearly ended up in Canada about 10years ago now both my older brothers had moved there. Ones since come back here after 18 years, he's the manager as heathrow terminal 5 now. But my other ones still there and doubt he will ever move back here. And I'm enjoying the course not as physical as I like, and a lot to do 2 full course I need to do in a year that should take nearly 3 :( But at the end of the day it's the bigger pay packet and a better life we do it for nothing more :)

So will you be taking the scoobs across with you or buying another when you land ;)

To be honest I don't think we could part with the forester mate.My self and the missus have come along way with the car and when we do go and find we carnt take it straight away I will proberly park it up on on my mates drive or a family members drive then have it sent across at a later date.Time will tell but I don't plan to part with it

• Like 1

I handed my notice in today to finish at the end of the week and the company took the hump with me and said there is no need to finish the rest of the week off I will be paid my weeke in hand! !Removed! or what lol.Good job I don't have to work my week in hand at the new job! I start next week and get paid same week

• Like 1

if you want to migrate to OZ bear in mind to bring lots of $ as it wouldn't be cheap. we paid for PR over $9k (for 2 persons) in NSW and that was we do it our selfs with the benefit SWMBO had a job in nursing hence she was fast-tracked by immigration. for the 457 visa we had to enter OZ even more...

now we are back in the UK as she didn't like it at all while she had family in Sydney and Orange.

i had a 2003 Forester and had to find any rust on her; none :) 

but anyway i could live there and miss OZ by times but now we have a house in Spain so a nice compromise ;)

just go where your heart lies and go for it.

• Like 2

Cheers mate.My self and the missus carnt wait to get there with the kids.We already have a place to stay till we get on our feet.I have family there that want us to stay with them till we are sorted.My Aunty and uncle moved out there with my cousins in 1991 and had to start from scratch and don't want us to have to do that which is very nice of them.

that's very nice from your family as it will give you peace of mind for the basic things like housing etc while you can focus on the other things like finding jobs etc.

we will be back in Australia around 2017 to visit family and friends in Adelaide, Orange and Sydney.

• Like 1

I started back on the tools on Monday and im glad ive gone back to the trade lol.It took me all last weekend cleaning my tool box out and the assessor came out from College on Tuesday to sign us up for the course.I really enjoy working in the garage and Paul is right cars haven't changed that much lol

• Like 1