Front/rear torque distribution

metalmagpie

Hi, Can anyone help. Yesterday I sold my beloved 1999 Forester for a 2005 Legacy BP5. Coming home in the snow I hit a patch of ice as I turned off the gritted bus route. No harm done, except to my pride. However when I went to pull the car behaved as if it was rear wheel drive only. Vasty rear wheel spin (not lead foot!) and wild fish tailing. Front wheels had nothing to say at all. The Forester was never like this.

Can anyone give me any advice? I have read of stability control but I can't find any controls, also DCCD with adjustment, but mine doesn't seem to have it.

Any help would be greatly valued, I don't want a repeat of yesterday.

my ra does this too. from what i can gather it depends on the 4wd split. the classics have a 60/40 split with 60 going to the back this coupled with new goodyear eagles tyres makes mine a bit twitchy at the rear. been told a set of winter tyres would make a hell of a differance. plus my power to weight does not help in the ra at 340 brake in a car that weights 1100kg

Thanks for that. It's odd because the videos on You Tube (by Subaru) seem to suggest that the opposite should happen! My only thought is that all four wheels were actually on ice at the time.

Thanks; 340horses is a considerable power increase over mine!

My Forester had super Michelin ES asymetrics, great tyres, the Lrgacy has just run of the mill tyres so that probable has a great bearing on it. Also the Legacy is Automatic and doesn't undersatand feeding the power in gently!

Thanks for you response, I amd greatly encouraged now.

Martin