Important question regarding buying a '97 Impreza GL 2.0

GerrJokub

Hello everybody.

Firstly I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

Secondly, I'm not from the UK, but from Lithuania.

Yesterday, I almost bought a 1997 Impreza GL 2.0 4WD Pirsch (with LPG conversion). Apart from a couple of rust on the arches, eveything looked fine, apart one simple thing. The owner assured me he had recently changed the oil, but while checking the oil, it was apparent that the dipstick marking was completely dry. Obviously we waited for a couple of minutes to cool the engine down, but there was still no sign of any grease (couldn't find any oil leakage either). Has anybody had a similar trouble with that? Is the oil dipstick really accurate in imprezas or is there a special way of looking at it?

Also, as a 20 year old student, who has limited knowledge about Subarus in general, is it worth buying an impreza?

No harsh comments please, I just need an opinion on what to do?

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

These cars do use a lot of oil so do tend to empty themselves quicker than most cars. We always say here that regular oil checks are key to keeping that car in tip top condition. As said above I'd be worried he's not maintained the car. And if it's been running and still no oil on the dipstick would worry even more so tend to agree I'd walk away. :(

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

These cars do use a lot of oil so do tend to empty themselves quicker than most cars. We always say here that regular oil checks are key to keeping that car in tip top condition. As said above I'd be worried he's not maintained the car. And if it's been running and still no oil on the dipstick would worry even more so tend to agree I'd walk away. :(

The owner isn't a mechanic, but he did show me a service book of what has been changed. all filters, oil change, timing belt etc and he only services his car at the Subaru Service Centre. He's a subaru fan, which is why it's so surprising to find an engine without a drop of oil. Although, this might have something to do with his excessive driving manner.

It would be a shame to let go of such a nice example, since there aren't many unmolested and standart GL imprezas around here :(

• Like 1

Yeah it will be the hard driving thats lowered the oil when was it last serviced ? 

I mean you can take the risk but get some new oil and filters straight away :)

I called him yesterday, asked him about the oil problem. He said that he took his car to the service centre, filled some more oil, and explained that the engine is fine. I really don't know what to believe, but tomorrow i'm going to check that car for a second time. Hopefully, with some better results :)

• Like 1

Always worth going back. get a better idea, if I can say anything always go with the gut instinct. heart and head will tell you to get it and not always right :D

there's something special about Subaru and its all wheel drive, especially after I had a go at driving it :) I'll wish myself luck on this one :D

• Like 2

Don't have to tell me ;)  Not sure what it's like over in your country but all Subaru drivers wave to each other if we see another one on the road :) And I too will wish you luck. But don't forget photo's if you buy it :D we do like to see people's cars :D 

• Like 1

there's something special about Subaru and its all wheel drive, especially after I had a go at driving it :) I'll wish myself luck on this one :D

Once you start driving a subaru you will not want to get rid of it. I know what I'm talking about.[emoji2]