Satnav stuck on “Security” default message

Hi - me again - can anyone tell me what the dealer/garage needs to do to re-code the new satnav unit that’s been fitted to the car? Currently it’s just displaying a black screen with the word “security” on it and it doesn’t work at all. It’s a like for like replacement unit, genuine Subaru part etc..

I understand the unit has to have a code entered by the dealer to get it unlocked out of the “security” setting but they’ve had it for  3 DAYS now and apparently don’t know what to do!!!

I’ve looked at forums and something about connecting a VAGCOM or SSM to the ECU to retrieve the code? I have no idea what this is, but I’m a bit chuffed-off that the dealer doesn’t know what to do and I’m scrabbling around trying to work it out and resorting to appealing for your help - PLEASE!!!

Some simple (layman’s terms) instructions on what they have to do so I can pass it on and hopefully I’ll get my car back before Christmas - grrrr! Thanks 😊

they will know how program a radio unit serial into the security module via ssm subaru select monitor no doubt about it, I would assume issue more puzzling hence the lack of clarity and time .

could have communication issue on the can bus line or issue with the radio unit .

First thing I try on these after basic scan see modules are talking to each other and noting any codes is disconnect Battery for an hour then reconnect and turn ignition to acc and see what radio does, does it boot up fully, if does turn key off and remove then reinsert and go to acc again and wait radio reboot and if reboots and works then start car and see if security flags again .

Is it a main dealer or just a used car dealer ?

Things that need clarifying calmly with dealer/garage is :

If this radio has worked at some point in your ownership then it was paired/programmed so that not the root cause .

Have/can they confirm the head unit serial matches what stored in the security module .

any other codes present when they scan system that could hint a communication issue between the cars modules .

any other odd occurrences with any of the electrical systems .

What is their next step in resolving the problem (good thing is problem constant and they clearly see the problem which far better than intermittent faults)

If you dealing with a main dealer and they getting nowhere they either need try another known good head unit or get another dealer/garage with more experienced tech have a look .