Subaru 2004 XT 2.0 Just Purchased

Roffel

Hi all, just came across this forum as I have just put deposit down and car getting towed to garage Monday. It’s a 2004 2.0 XT Forester covered 66K miles. Been after one for such a long time finally found one in pretty good condition (no rust) just needs a good service! Guess I’m just asking for any tips and tricks. Maybe make a friend or two! 

Hey! I've had mine (same year, model all of it) for 5 years now - mine's at 185k miles though! Still going strong so I don't know how much you paid for yours, but seems like you've found a real gem!

I keep getting stopped and asked if I'll sell mine - happened again for the 6th time this morning - Paid £1700 for mine in 2017 - they were saying I'd get about 2.5/3k if I sold mine now (I would NOT though).

They're bomb-proof but I've found mine keeps getting problems at the rear that need welding done every 2 years - which is expensive and annoying. Find a good (indy) subaru garage and you'll be laughing is my best advice.

Morning Jazz, thanks for the reply! I was away so sorry for late reply,  Its been at the garage for about a week now, mechanic is working on it when he has time (he's a friend so no rush as I have my other car) so far no problems just getting it MOT'd then give it a nice big service and new underseal as it hasn't been loved in some time! There may be some more expenses but for the price I paid (Under 2k) I would not be to hurt if some further cost incurred 

Yes they are really cool cars, the model we have looks very mean, especially from the front with the scoop! If you try to find them for sale online (eBay,auto trader) good luck there isn't any, last one I saw was 2.0 XT green with the silver bottom trim, 100+k miles and they were asking £2500.

Further to this, last year I went to see one which was in silver 126k miles gentleman was asking £2650, long story but wasn't for me and that sold the next day. 

Do you underseal yours this is meant to stop the rust?? 

Underseal is what you apply to either completely rust free undersides, or as a final protective coat to existing rust which you've already removed as best you can then treated then painted, undersealing over existing rust will only make it easier for the damp and salt to do its worst unseen, it will look great when first applied.

I've done the above full treatments to my cars including all the cavities with Bilt Hambers cavity wax probes but instead of a top coat of underseal i now give the whole underside a twice a year blast over with ACF50, some others use chain lube or similar, on my ladder chassised 4x4 i've covered the entire chassis in waterproof grease.

You'll find lots of people on some performance based car forums calling ACF50 all sorts, and true its not a one off treatment nor is sold as such, no anti rust treatment is in the UK where our betters have a fetish for road salt, but its strength is seeping into cracks and seams and helping keep things like sensors from corroding up and helps stop bolts from rusting in solid, the downside is it makes working on the undersides a filthy job, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Hi All.

I have a Forester 2.0 XT AWD petrol, ULEZ Exempt 2054 Plate silver for sale. It has a few cosmetic bumps on the rear bumper, but it has a good service history and M.O.T in Feb. New radiator, and drives like a dream. 106k on the clock. I have to sell as I'm now getting a motability car.

I'm looking for £3k.

Amin