Hello From A Subaru Returner!

Hi There, just introducing myself to you all. Been a LandRover Discovery owner for 30 years for caravan towing and occasional offroad. I've now decided that they are too expensive to maintain as older models and too expensive (and posh!!) to buy new.

Having owned Subarus way back in the '80s/90s we've looked at the current models and about to pull the trigger on a new Outback Touring. I'm likely to be on here asking questions as I get to know the car but would be interested to know if members feel I've made the right choice for towing (1500Kg caravan) and what solutions people have for safe dog carriage in the back.

Cheers For Now 😁

Good move and you can get a custom made dog guard to fit in the car. bearing in mind that you need to restrain your dog when the car is in motion-by law. I now have a Forester- very reliable - but have had several Outback's including the 3 litre with a creamy 6 engine. that 3.0 also carried two Great Dane dogs. Just a minor tip that I experienced today. Your ignition key is called  a Radio Transmitter and you should carry a spare 'button type' Battery for it. Make sure it's not a Chinese one. The Forester  security system would not operate yesterday when I pressed the Key ( transmitter) button. so so I put in a new key Battery ( I had a pack with use by date of 2025) I did try several and could not fathom out why. I went on to Amazon and ordered a pack of CR1620 ( made in America) which were dispatched overnight. They arrived today, so put one into the key,, went outside in the rain ,pressed the key button and yes the security system came on. Did not venture out into the rain to start the Forester - but it's a Subaru, always starts first time. Happy motoring, I have now had a Subaru since 1989 and when they reached 250,000 miles they were kept on as a work horse. It's just amazing what  a Forester with its low gear transfer box can achieve working in the Forests where I once lived in Herefordshire.  

Hi Tony   Thanks for the reply. Know what you mean re. remote batteries!  Same with my Discovery 4 fob, unless you used Duracell 2032 batteries it wouldn't work even if they were brand new!!

A custom guard will be fitted but we're also thinking of a cage/box as our dog travels better in a more confined area (she's a setter!)

Pulled the trigger this afternoon so just got to wait for delivery, anticipating mid-March 🎉