help with boost leak

jon1187

Hi all!! I think i have developed a boost leak as i have started to hear a high pitched sound when im coming into boost i was wondering if anyone knew if theres anywere i could take it for a test as i am working away from home at the minute and only back weekends and dont have the time to do it myself (never done this before) preferably in the wigan/manchester area? Any help would be great thanks!

I dont have a boost gauge fitted no, it does actually seem to boost normal as much as i can tell, i have only just noticed this noise and started after hard accelleration when i was pulling onto the motorway it does seem to be more noticeable when warm?

Thanks gambit i will try that im just not sure if it would be abit to pick it up but as ive had passengers in the car who cannot hear it untill i point it out its quite hard to hear ive only noticed it myself because its out of the ordinary to what im used to hearing from the engine bay

I would say get a boost gauge fitted and see what's happening when you put your foot down, if boost is low or drop's off, get some really soapy water and coat all the boost pipes in the engine bay, rev the car and see if any bubbles appear

IMO, it sounds like the normal turbo whistle

Thanks boozydave i appreciate your feedback ive only had the car 3 weeks its my first subaru so im still learning the ropes with it i will try everything which you have suggested and hopefully get to the bottom of it ( does anyone know if the torque mobile phone app onlong with obd adapter is accurate enough) although im hoping its just the turbo whistle which you suggested i start hearing it at around 3000 revs and gradually gets slightly louder through the rev range and drops back off again until hitting the same kind of revs after gear change, have you any idea what kind of boost i should be hitting its a unmodded wrx hawkeye?

Std boost in my blob wrx is about 1 BAR or 14.7 PSI.

Do you know anyone with a turbo diesel? I can hear the turbo whistle in my work van

Not sure about the torque app, I've never used one

NO, I didn't want an STI, and YES, I could afford one if I did want one!!!!

Yes ive also got a audi turbo diesel its very similar soundng but its quite abit louder than turbo whistle from my diesel, how much turbo whistle can you hear from your wrx is it very noticeable? Ive just used the torque app and im hitting a max 12psi boost and doesnt seem to drop off at any time does this sound low?

Cheers for your feedback i can assure you its very much appreciated

when it was std, I could hear it, but it wasn't very noticeable, but now that I've got a VF35 fitted it's louder

not sure of the boost on the hawkeye, it might be slightly lower due to the 2.5 engine